Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Fun facts:
-Varusteleka translates to ”Gear Hammer”
-Varuste translates simply to ”Gear”
-These two stores were located like 500 meters from each other for years, with pretty similar names, but no affiliation to each other
-first Varusteleka built a bigger building 3 kms away
-then Varuste built an even bigger building, towards the same direction as Varusteleka, though now there’s about a 1000 meter distance between them
-still they’re close to each other, now both just way bigger 😃

I live about 10kms away and have spent way too much money at Varuste.

Even in the internet age I am still kind of puzzled that you guys on the other side of the pond, on this forum, thousands of kms away, are talking about the same two stores I’ve been physically going to for years in little ol’ Finland!

And yeah, I wouldn’t trade my Aclimas for anything! And yes, I still get laughed at in them. I don’t think that ever goes away! 😃

Puzzle not, except over how they can deliver an order as fast as an American store with zero drama. Well done... somehow....

valtteri

FNG
I thought they were pretty popular in Scandinavia...you still get laughed at in Finland?
They are popular, and have always been - but at the same time they do look pretty funny! 😃

Then again, the people that see me wearing them will laugh at me for many other things too! 🤔😅

The combo I use XC skiing in the woods is an Aclima woolnet long-sleeve shirt and Arcteryx Delta MX (Powergrid fleece) hoody plus windshell. And just the Aclima woolnet long johns and Arcteryx Gamma LT pants. This will keep me warm at 0F when skiing and when I stop, the little sweat I have will have dried by the time the break is over.

I use the fishnet shirt as a base layer when backpacking. On a break the sweat on my back from the backpack will also dry out and is considerably less to begin with.

Essentially I put on my Aclima pretty much every time I go out into the woods, save for summertime.

It just works!

Ralphie

WKR
My wife laughs at me just in regular long underwear. Something about my "tights" and she starts humming ballet music.😜.

If I ever had these they'd better be good, because I'd never hear the end of it.

Dobermann

WKR
My wife laughs at me just in regular long underwear. Something about my "tights" and she starts humming ballet music.😜.

If I ever had these they'd better be good, because I'd never hear the end of it.
Yeah, mine varies between saying "You're soooo sexy" ... and "Get away from me".

And the first one was sarcastic.

J Batt

WKR
Just got my hands on used Aclima long sleeve and short sleeve off eBay for $50ish a piece.
Jury is still out..
I've used the long sleeve on a couple mountainous runs. I like that it never feels sopping wet like normal shirts do, but I get a little itchy after I stop moving and am waiting for it to dry. Small price to pay I guess, but it bugged me so bad after one rainy run that I had to get it off before I could let it dry on my skin.
I'll test them allot more before I decide If they're keepers.

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR

Dobermann

WKR
Just got my hands on used Aclima long sleeve and short sleeve off eBay for $50ish a piece.
Jury is still out..
I've used the long sleeve on a couple mountainous runs. I like that it never feels sopping wet like normal shirts do, but I get a little itchy after I stop moving and am waiting for it to dry. Small price to pay I guess, but it bugged me so bad after one rainy run that I had to get it off before I could let it dry on my skin.
I'll test them allot more before I decide If they're keepers.
New or secondhand? That seems cheap for new.

Only reason I ask is I'm seeing of lot of fakes of things on eBay and other platforms of very obscure things I never would have thought someone would bother to fake ...

But then I guess if your labour is nearly free, and your mark-ups are large enough, then it would be possible to market test a range of things, take some losses, and keep going with what works.

Anyway: if you know they were legit, then if you don't like them, there'll now likely be a bit of a market on here for them.

Shraggs

WKR
I’ve found the woolnet less itchy than typical merino- not that either bothers me. I’d say the woolnet is less luxurious feeling.

Been very impressed with moisture management and durability

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Different degrees of itchiness for different people doesn't surprise me, everyone's body reacts to wool differently. There are mon-wool versions for people who react more strongly. You'll have to wash them more but probably worth the tradeoff.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who ordered through Varuste...did you get an email or anything confirming your order? I got a confirmation page with a confirmation number, but I haven't received an email with a confirmation or any way to track my order.

Also, overall how long did it take from order to delivery for you?

Dobermann

WKR
For those of you who ordered through Varuste...did you get an email or anything confirming your order? I got a confirmation page with a confirmation number, but I haven't received an email with a confirmation or any way to track my order.

Also, overall how long did it take from order to delivery for you?
I received a shipping notification the day after I ordered, and items arrived very quickly. How long is it since you got your order confirmation? Have you checked your spam - or emailed them directly?

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Got them today and so far I am very happy with them. Bought some woolpower too to wear over them and it's been a warm and comfortable combo so far.

Dobermann

WKR
Got them today and so far I am very happy with them. Bought some woolpower too to wear over them and it's been a warm and comfortable combo so far.
Good to hear.

For Windrunner17 and everyone else who has them, a hot tip: for washing your fishnets (that sounds weird ...), use one of the laundry bags that are sold for washing delicates and women's underwear. This helps zips, buttons, and so on from other clothes not catch on the holes in the fishnets and rip them.

You can usually find these laundry bags near washing liquid and household items in supermarkets, in laundry sections of department and big box stores, and sometimes even in lingerie departments, as an on-sell item. Don't ask me how I know.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear.

For Windrunner17 and everyone else who has them, a hot tip: for washing your fishnets (that sounds weird ...), use one of the laundry bags that are sold for washing delicates and women's underwear. This helps zips, buttons, and so on from other clothes not catch on the holes in the fishnets and rip them.

You can usually find these laundry bags near washing liquid and household items in supermarkets, in laundry sections of department and big box stores, and sometimes even in lingerie departments, as an on-sell item. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks for the tip. I liked them so much I put in an order for a second pair so this will come in handy.

Ok so I ran an experiment and layered these woolnets over top of the polypropylene airbase while covering alot of ground. Alot of elevation change and total of 9 miles traveled. Temp was around low to mid 30's the entire time. Just had a grid fleece on over them up top and some micro fleece lined softshell pants. I was really comfortable and warm. The airbase wicks moisture so much better than the woolnets and up top I was good. Sweat vanished fast. The pants don't breathe well so I wasn't quite as comfortable down below. I could've left the woolnets off and been better off I believe. But that combo created alot of little airpockets and it was an interesting test and performed really well.