Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Where do you guys buy the Aclima stuff in the U.S.

I looked on the website and it was going to be 30 euros shipping. Brynje USA offered free shipping. Might tip the scales in their favor even though I prefer the look of the Aclima.

Varusteleka.

Dobermann

WKR
I’ve ordered from both Varusteleka and Varuste
I've bought my Aclima from Varusteleka, but recently bought a few things from Varuste - their Black Friday priecs on Fjallraven, for example, were incredible.

And postage all the way to the other side of the world was very cheap.

Recommend signing up for Varuste's email newsletter ... thanks to the Rokslider who posted this in the Gear Deals thread a few weeks back - their prices and shipping are great.

I also used varuste. Shipping was very fast and pricing was great considering it was from overseas. I got mine on sale last year around late winter early spring

I’m considering picking up a set of the aclima. Torn between the 3/4 and full length bottoms. What’s the consensus with those of you using the bottoms?

TheUgly

FNG
I’m considering picking up a set of the aclima. Torn between the 3/4 and full length bottoms. What’s the consensus with those of you using the bottoms?

Have been wearing several pairs of the full length bottoms for over a year and have no complaints.

I’ve worn the full length with everything from low cut hiking shoes to extreme cold weather boots and cross country ski boots and the the length does not bother/irritate my skin at all that I have noticed.

Dobermann

WKR
Varuste has the Aclima Woolnet on sale right now. I can verify they ship fast and are a great place to buy from. Link: https://varuste.net/enAclima woolnet
Varusteleka was the Rokslide hot tip for December 2021 - for Sarma TST pants and jacket, cheap synthetic "puffy" pants, and Aclima Woolnet. (They also do a damn fine inner/outer pistol/field rifle comp belt, folks!)

Varuste is the Rokslide hot tip for December 2022 - for Aclima Woolnet, Devold (thanks @THLR!), Fjallraven, and a tonne more.

Varuste is kinda like a next-level REI - access to great European products, cheap, and with faster shipping than can often be achieved in-country. Amazing.

Thanks again to Rokslider @Ope who put many of us onto Varuste.

Between the two suppliers, we're in good hands.

Monty3006

FNG
Varusteleka was the Rokslide hot tip for December 2021 - for Sarma TST pants and jacket, cheap synthetic "puffy" pants, and Aclima Woolnet. (They also do a damn fine inner/outer pistol/field rifle comp belt, folks!)

Varuste is the Rokslide hot tip for December 2022 - for Aclima Woolnet, Devold (thanks @THLR!), Fjallraven, and a tonne more.

Varuste is kinda like a next-level REI - access to great European products, cheap, and with faster shipping than can often be achieved in-country. Amazing.

What Fjallraven pants have you found best for NZ alps hunting? I’m planning on crossing the ditch soon to chase some tahr and chamy.

Dobermann

WKR
What Fjallraven pants have you found best for NZ alps hunting? I’m planning on crossing the ditch soon to chase some tahr and chamy.
I haven't done alps hunting - my guess it will come down to how you favour warmth and durability vs lightness and flexibility for climbs (and how base layers factor into that! :))

I've only really used the Kebs, which are heavy but robust. The Keb Agiles look very promising.

I got in a pair of the Lapplands; these are a curious mix of the weightyness of the Kebs on the reinforcing, but flexibility of 4-way stretch nylon (I *think*) on the other parts. Hard to know if they'd fail at the interface between such varied fabrics. Being Fjallraven, you'd hope not, but then again my Stubben backpack started wearing holes in the bottom after only a few months of light-duty work, so who knows?

As it is, I didn't get to do my own testing on the Lapplands - apparently, they only come in a Long sizing, for some reason. The design looked intriguing, but I physically can't wear them. Weird.

I know @Formidilosus has run the Kebs - could be worth seeing if he's tried the Keb Agiles yet. Or badger him until he does. ;)

Monty3006

FNG
I haven't done alps hunting - my guess it will come down to how you favour warmth and durability vs lightness and flexibility for climbs (and how base layers factor into that! :))

I've only really used the Kebs, which are heavy but robust. The Keb Agiles look very promising.

I got in a pair of the Lapplands; these are a curious mix of the weightyness of the Kebs on the reinforcing, but flexibility of 4-way stretch nylon (I *think*) on the other parts. Hard to know if they'd fail at the interface between such varied fabrics. Being Fjallraven, you'd hope not, but then again my Stubben backpack started wearing holes in the bottom after only a few months of light-duty work, so who knows?

As it is, I didn't get to do my own testing on the Lapplands - apparently, they only come in a Long sizing, for some reason. The design looked intriguing, but I physically can't wear them. Weird.

I know @Formidilosus has run the Kebs - could be worth seeing if he's tried the Keb Agiles yet. Or badger him until he does. ;)
Thank you. I seem to remember reading somewhere about the length being deliberately long to allow tailoring to the individual. For the price of them this seems like a bit of a stuff around.
The Keb Agile are the ones I have been eyeing off.

Dobermann

WKR
Thank you. I seem to remember reading somewhere about the length being deliberately long to allow tailoring to the individual. For the price of them this seems like a bit of a stuff around.
The Keb Agile are the ones I have been eyeing off.
Hmm ... here's why that idea about tailoring doesn't make sense to me:

1672371003723.png

And:

1672371039767.png

PAPublic

FNG
Following up on this thread as I bought a pair of the Daehlie Airnet wool bases to try this year after doing some research here and elsewhere. The top started to come apart in the armpit after just a couple wears. The bottoms are still intact but was pretty bummed about durability and not exactly cheap. They’re relegated to the snowboard kit for now if I ever wear the again. I like the concept so will probably try the poly Eberstock Airbases eventually as I imagine they’re much more durable than those merino strands on the Daehlies

Following up on this thread as I bought a pair of the Daehlie Airnet wool bases to try this year after doing some research here and elsewhere. The top started to come apart in the armpit after just a couple wears. The bottoms are still intact but was pretty bummed about durability and not exactly cheap. They’re relegated to the snowboard kit for now if I ever wear the again. I like the concept so will probably try the poly Eberstock Airbases eventually as I imagine they’re much more durable than those merino strands on the Daehlies
I have the Eberlestock airbase and I love their durability compared to the Aclima woolnet. They also dry much faster, when I take them out of the washing machine they're practically dry from the spin cycle. However the fit and comfort can't compare to the Aclima. There are tradeoffs. I use the Eberlestock for warmer weather and Aclima for colder weather.

valtteri

FNG

Fun facts:
-Varusteleka translates to ”Gear Hammer”
-Varuste translates simply to ”Gear”
-These two stores were located like 500 meters from each other for years, with pretty similar names, but no affiliation to each other
-first Varusteleka built a bigger building 3 kms away
-then Varuste built an even bigger building, towards the same direction as Varusteleka, though now there’s about a 1000 meter distance between them
-still they’re close to each other, now both just way bigger 😃

I live about 10kms away and have spent way too much money at Varuste.

Even in the internet age I am still kind of puzzled that you guys on the other side of the pond, on this forum, thousands of kms away, are talking about the same two stores I’ve been physically going to for years in little ol’ Finland!

And yeah, I wouldn’t trade my Aclimas for anything! And yes, I still get laughed at in them. I don’t think that ever goes away! 😃

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Fun facts:
-Varusteleka translates to ”Gear Hammer”
-Varuste translates simply to ”Gear”
-These two stores were located like 500 meters from each other for years, with pretty similar names, but no affiliation to each other
-first Varusteleka built a bigger building 3 kms away
-then Varuste built an even bigger building, towards the same direction as Varusteleka, though now there’s about a 1000 meter distance between them
-still they’re close to each other, now both just way bigger 😃

I live about 10kms away and have spent way too much money at Varuste.

Even in the internet age I am still kind of puzzled that you guys on the other side of the pond, on this forum, thousands of kms away, are talking about the same two stores I’ve been physically going to for years in little ol’ Finland!

And yeah, I wouldn’t trade my Aclimas for anything! And yes, I still get laughed at in them. I don’t think that ever goes away! 😃
I thought they were pretty popular in Scandinavia...you still get laughed at in Finland?