Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

Bringing this back up to ask a couple questions, especially for @Formidilosus.
1. in sub zero weather, would I be able to use the aclima leggings with a hard shell like the Kryptek Takur, and supplement with down pants over everything when I need to sit and glass? Or do I need more insulation?
2. I know everyone is different, but what kind of outer layer system are you running with this woolnet when the weather is sub zero? How heavy a puffy jacket would you recommend for the hike-glass-hike-glass of hunting?

1. in sub zero weather, would I be able to use the aclima leggings with a hard shell like the Kryptek Takur, and supplement with down pants over everything when I need to sit and glass? Or do I need more insulation?
2. I know everyone is different, but what kind of outer layer system are you running with this woolnet when the weather is sub zero? How heavy a puffy jacket would you recommend for the hike-glass-hike-glass of hunting?
I will answer this and await others answers as well as so much of this is very person dependent (being a hot or cold person).

In sub-zero temps for hiking, I would think the fishnets with another base or light mid-layer and then an outer layer would work well for hiking, and then glassing would need an extra layer or two as that heat will dissipate quickly in those temps. A puffy layer and a quilt or something would work really well and be pretty lightweight.

Same thing on the top I would imagine would work well. I do not have net top, just the bottoms. But the bottoms I have used skiing and I wear the net bottoms, with a base on top, then my insulated ski pants. With this set up I am noticeably drier and warmer than wearing anything else due to the moisture management of the net layer. I have tried UA warmgear compression pants as a layer under the base to help move moisture, and that led to a very cool feeling in my legs as they didn't dry quickly or allow moisture to move enough. If that makes sense.

I do not live in the mountains, so I can not speak to how well these things work while hiking, in cold, but they work well for me skiing, which for me is similar to your hike-glass-hike-glass, as I tend to work hard skiing and then sitting on the lifts exposed. Lowest temps I used in skiing was low teens.

I will answer this and await others answers as well as so much of this is very person dependent (being a hot or cold person).

In sub-zero temps for hiking, I would think the fishnets with another base or light mid-layer and then an outer layer would work well for hiking, and then glassing would need an extra layer or two as that heat will dissipate quickly in those temps. A puffy layer and a quilt or something would work really well and be pretty lightweight.

Same thing on the top I would imagine would work well. I do not have net top, just the bottoms. But the bottoms I have used skiing and I wear the net bottoms, with a base on top, then my insulated ski pants. With this set up I am noticeably drier and warmer than wearing anything else due to the moisture management of the net layer. I have tried UA warmgear compression pants as a layer under the base to help move moisture, and that led to a very cool feeling in my legs as they didn't dry quickly or allow moisture to move enough. If that makes sense.

I do not live in the mountains, so I can not speak to how well these things work while hiking, in cold, but they work well for me skiing, which for me is similar to your hike-glass-hike-glass, as I tend to work hard skiing and then sitting on the lifts exposed. Lowest temps I used in skiing was low teens.
So you are running a layer between the insulated pants and the fishnet then?

Yes, I wear the fishnets next to skin, with a pair of medium wt merino wool over top, then insulated ski pants. When I do this and the temps are in the high 20's to low 30's, I typically open the vents on my ski pants to allow ventilation and improve moisture loss, but I don't have the luxury of adding more layers when on the ski lift, so it is a compromise. If I could, I would wear net and ski pants while active and then layer up while sedentary on the lift. Hard to do that while wearing ski boots and skis and trying to keep the lines moving.

For complete transparency, I am a sweater. I sweat quite a lot. So moisture control is key for me being warm. And that is where the nets shine for me at least.

I’ve used the fishnets backcountry skiing down to high single digit temps. Just hard shell pants over the bottoms and BD alpine start (basically a super light soft shell windbreaker) over the top is plenty for the uptrack, a bit too warm sometimes even with everything unzipped. Close the vents and throw a hard shell on top for the descent. I’ve fat biked colder with light soft shell pants and alpine start over the fishnets. Sometimes I’ll add a light fleece hoody between the fishnets and alpine start depending on the ride (hills vs flat). I generally run cold especially when stopped, so I always have puffy top and bottom with me. However, the fishnets have basically eliminated the need for a mid layer for me. They really are awesome.

I’d imagine being okay with a breathable hard shell over the fishnets down to the zero range and maybe colder. I’d be packing some serious insulation for sitting for any length of time in those temps though.

yfarm

WKR
I ran 3 miles a day for 30 yrs in the midwest,in the winter would run with air temps to -10 and windchills to -30. Standard attire was light fleece running tights with a pr of windproof nylon shorts with a light base,100 wt fleece and light nylon shell, goretex shoes, once temps were below 10above. Never was cold and most times had to vent tops. Would have frost on outer layers surface and water on inside of the shell when done. Worst problem were frozen tears on eyelashes when really cold. Cross country skiers face the same issues. Use same system mountain hunting and winter bird hunting aside from using a more durable shell for the bottoms. The mountaineering clothing engineering is directly translatable to other aerobic activity. Plan to try the fishnets this year with a light microfiber shell. Firm believer in synthetics for moisture transport in aerobic activities.

Last edited:

bond111

FNG
Has anyone used these in hot weather, high activity situations? Or would they not be well suited for it?

I currently use Rynoskin base layers for tick protection, and wasn’t sure if the mesh holes would be too big for that type of protection?

Has anyone used these in hot weather, high activity situations? Or would they not be well suited for it?

I currently use Rynoskin base layers for tick protection, and wasn’t sure if the mesh holes would be too big for that type of protection?
The holes wouldn't protect against ticks.

I don't think I can pull off wearing fishnets.

images

Legit question here as I’m trying to figure out how to use these in my arsenal? Are you wearing your boxers under these or when you say next to skin, do you truly mean next to skin? I not sure I’m ready for that kind of relationship. Or sensation on my Netherlands. I can see wearing the top next to my skin, but have some reservations on the bottoms. Insight from others??

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Legit question here as I’m trying to figure out how to use these in my arsenal? Are you wearing your boxers under these or when you say next to skin, do you truly mean next to skin? I not sure I’m ready for that kind of relationship. Or sensation on my Netherlands. I can see wearing the top next to my skin, but have some reservations on the bottoms. Insight from others??

I do not wear boxers, however the seat and crotch are solid merino wool.

fwafwow

WKR
You guys are killing me. Every time I think I've finalized my layering system, I find some thread like this that makes me want to flip a desk and start over!

Interested to hear any feedback about how this might work into my current plan. We're talking mid October through late November in Colorado.

Before reading this thread, I had planned:
  • Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (baselayer)
  • KUIU Strongfleece 280 (insulation)
  • Black Diamond Alpine Start (wind shirt)
If it would be really cold, I'd just take an extra fleece layer in the middle. On the move, it would probably just be the core hoody and the BD wind shirt.

If I were to swap to Aclima Woolnet or Eberlestock Airbase for the next-to-skin layer, would I be too warm with the core hoody and BD wind shirt over the top on the move? Seems like I need that hoody to wick the sweat out of the mesh base layer. The wind shirt isn't really designed for that.

Thoughts?
+1 for the above. This thread should be deleted! SMH as I look at and think about all of the various FL and Kuiu base layer weights, and my Woolpower 600g jacket and 200g unitard/jump suit (I can't remember the name - but a combined top and bottom).

By the time I finish reading all of these posts, I'm concerned I might have a bigger "closet clean out" than I was considering.

fwafwow

WKR
The Aclima layers are loooong. I'm 6'5" 205lbs, with an average (for height) wingspan. The standard L top fits great. As for the legs, I am a 34/34 in jeans and the L bottoms were perfect for me.
Thanks for this. I must be an idiot when it comes to sizing charts. I'm 6'2" and about 205 and my jeans might be a bit wider than yours, but the size chart on Varuste.net was pointing me to XL and XL in the Aclima top and bottoms. I'm thinking the L on both should suffice for me based on your experience.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for this. I must be an idiot when it comes to sizing charts. I'm 6'2" and about 205 and my jeans might be a bit wider than yours, but the size chart on Varuste.net was pointing me to XL and XL in the Aclima top and bottoms. I'm thinking the L on both should suffice for me based on your experience.

You should be fine with a large.

BluMtn

WKR
Ugh. Looking at the sizing charts, this may be really problematic for my skinny 6'5" build. Aclima and Brynje look like no go's so far. Why is it just assumed that everyone's waist is 4-6" wider than their inseam?
I just looked up all these companies. Interested in a pair of these to try until I went to sizing. I am a 38" to 40" inseam. 32" is the best I can get in my waist. I am not a BIG and tall, I am just a slender tall guy. Of course I have the same issue with all Hunting clothes. My waist usually ends up with a 30"-32" inseam.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
+1 for the above. This thread should be deleted!

By the time I finish reading all of these posts, I'm concerned I might have a bigger "closet clean out" than I was considering.
Naw........I've been working on my perfect setup for over 40 years. So by now I know what works for me and what doesn't work for me.......and what I like and what I don't like. And I have no need for, or intentions of trying fishnet base layers. Although......my merino base bottoms that I threw away two years ago......could have been classified as fishnet in a way because of how many holes they had in them. But they were almost 15 years old when I finally parted ways with them. My legs aren't as picky.......I could wear shorts while hunting except for all the brush, branches, blowdowns, and everything else out there. I wear shorts all summer, and my legs generally look like they've been through a battlefield.......blood included.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you guys buy the Aclima stuff in the U.S.

I looked on the website and it was going to be 30 euros shipping. Brynje USA offered free shipping. Might tip the scales in their favor even though I prefer the look of the Aclima.