Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

woods89

WKR
Don't forget the Singi Stubben!

I bought one on Form's recommendation ... still can't work out if I love it or hate it ... it's the clunkiest sexy backpack, and has no hip belt or airflow in the back, but is still somehow comfortable.

The chair concept appears goofy, but I just sat on it all through a two-hour picnic today rather than a dodgy park bench, and felt like royalty.

I was tempted to start a thread just to make sense of it, it's so counter-intuitive.

Sometimes, Form, I think you just like messin' with us.

Until what you say works. Every time.

Buzzard.
Start a thread, seriously.

It would be a welcome diversion from the same stuff getting rehashed over and over again......

Hthunter

FNG
I used the fishnet baselayer skiiing at Beavercreak this past week and it was great. Almost too much. I ended up taking off layers each day. Temps were 20 and below with non stop snow and wind. The last day I wore fishnet base, cotton t shirt and wind/waterproof shell and I was very comfortable. If your active this is definitely a game changer. I’ll have to wait to try it with still hunting.

Last edited:

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are killing me. Every time I think I've finalized my layering system, I find some thread like this that makes me want to flip a desk and start over!

Interested to hear any feedback about how this might work into my current plan. We're talking mid October through late November in Colorado.

Before reading this thread, I had planned:
  • Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (baselayer)
  • KUIU Strongfleece 280 (insulation)
  • Black Diamond Alpine Start (wind shirt)
If it would be really cold, I'd just take an extra fleece layer in the middle. On the move, it would probably just be the core hoody and the BD wind shirt.

If I were to swap to Aclima Woolnet or Eberlestock Airbase for the next-to-skin layer, would I be too warm with the core hoody and BD wind shirt over the top on the move? Seems like I need that hoody to wick the sweat out of the mesh base layer. The wind shirt isn't really designed for that.

Thoughts?

j33

WKR
You guys are killing me. Every time I think I've finalized my layering system, I find some thread like this that makes me want to flip a desk and start over!

Interested to hear any feedback about how this might work into my current plan. We're talking mid October through late November in Colorado.

Before reading this thread, I had planned:
  • Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (baselayer)
  • KUIU Strongfleece 280 (insulation)
  • Black Diamond Alpine Start (wind shirt)
If it would be really cold, I'd just take an extra fleece layer in the middle. On the move, it would probably just be the core hoody and the BD wind shirt.

If I were to swap to Aclima Woolnet or Eberlestock Airbase for the next-to-skin layer, would I be too warm with the core hoody and BD wind shirt over the top on the move? Seems like I need that hoody to wick the sweat out of the mesh base layer. The wind shirt isn't really designed for that.

Thoughts?

I run that same windshirt over my peloton 97 awesome combo down to 20F this fall and I think I could go colder when in the move. I don’t own a SF 280, but I own a 210 and I would never run a wind shirt over that. The strongfleece isn’t breathable enough and already has some wind proof qualities built in.

I think the windshirt paired with a highly breathable fleece or active layer is the best combo.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I run that same windshirt over my peloton 97 awesome combo down to 20F this fall and I think I could go colder when in the move.
Anything under the Peloton 97? I think in your setup, the Peloton 97 is comparable to the Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody for what I was doing. On the move, I’d wear the core hoody and wind shirt. Stopping and cooling off, throw the Strongfleece on.

The SF 280 does look heavy, but I like a full zip, and was also attracted to its durability, wind, and water resistance so that it could act as outer layer at times. Wish they had a lighter SF full zip hoody…

Edit for clarity: I don’t own these pieces yet. Had been planning to swap to this setup from my softshell setup. Any insight into each piece is appreciated.

j33

WKR
Anything under the Peloton 97? I think in your setup, the Peloton 97 is comparable to the Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody for what I was doing. On the move, I’d wear the core hoody and wind shirt. Stopping and cooling off, throw the Strongfleece on.

The SF 280 does look heavy, but I like a full zip, and was also attracted to its durability, wind, and water resistance so that it could act as outer layer at times. Wish they had a lighter SF full zip hoody…

Edit for clarity: I don’t own these pieces yet. Had been planning to swap to this setup from my softshell setup. Any insight into each piece is appreciated.

Just a merino shirt under the 97. I think the 97 isn’t near as warm and much more breathable than a traditional fleece like the Klamath or Sitka Heavyweight hoody.
I hear ya about full zip, on my 240 it was a must have but the 97 breaths so good I don’t need a full zip to dump heat.

The strongfleece is definitely a great outlayer, love my 210 for warmer Elk hunting.

woods89

WKR

I was out this morning for a hike. 25 degrees, 15ish mph winds, cloudy. I wore the Peloton 97 as a base layer and my BD Alpine Start over. I was cold for a bit starting out, warmed up nicely after a bit, and was able to regulate perspiration easily by flipping hoods and using the zippers.
I don't think I've ever worn my 97 with anything under it. Might have to try it.

jd1006

WKR
I’m sold on the Brynje wool t-shirt I got in fishnet. Looks weird as hell, but functions awesome. Hiked in below zero weather yesterday with a pack on, and after about 30 min I was dry and the moisture was moving through my 2nd layer (nano air light hoody). No smell on the fishnet due to the 80% merino content. It’s tighter fitting, but for an active baselayer, it does the job as good as anything that I have.

Dobermann

WKR
Woop woop!

My Aclima long sleeve top arrived from Varusteleka today.

Currently have it on under the Varusteleka Sarma Merino Hoody (https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-wool-hoodie/30651) - at 350 g/m2, the Sarma is fairly warm, so not sure if I'd use this combo hiking, but the full zip would allow it to be unzipped all the way down to the pack belt ... and stationary, it's great, and the hood really helps with sun protection.

For a lighter option, I think I'll next try the Devold Nibba Merino Jacket (https://www.devold.com/en-gb/product-type/wool_jacket/nibba-man-jacket-whood/?color=421A) - @THLR recommended the Expedition, but the Nibba is only 210 g/m2, so could also be worth checking out.

Note that Devold also do mesh / fishnet merino, but the mesh continues over the shoulder area, unlike the Aclima.

Dobermann

WKR
PS For everyone who's posted about their buddies laughing in the field ... I think I could handle that more than my partner laughing at me all day ... especially at the moments when I haven't had another layer on top.

All the sledging/hazing from mates would be nothing compared to her pointing to my nipples, as if I'm wearing a string bikini in public like it's 1978 ... :cry:

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus nailed it in the first post. Aclima is my go-to brand as well.

Here's some pics added to detail the weaves, all pictures from inside:
This is the terry weave of heavy Woolpower jacket/sweater. I use it around the house, too heavy to bring.

View attachment 375407
This is the terry weave of Janus army shirt. Very breathable and light, doesn't cling to skin.
View attachment 375408
This is the thin woolnet from Devold. Similar properties to a synt wicking layer plus insulation.
View attachment 375409
This is the winter woolnet from Aclima. My go-to for sweat&cold or underneath a sun hoodie when I don't want mosquitoes to reach my skin.
View attachment 375410

This is the double weave from Devold Expedition. This is my winter sweater combined with a woolnet. Topped with a windreaker plus shell jacket, this is all I wear even on the coldest days.
View attachment 375411

There's more about the brands in this thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/mountain-skill-gear-picture-tip-thread.249200/page-2

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
@Dobermann I recomment the Expedition because of quality and I am very familiar with it, so I know exactly what it does. As pointed out in this thread, it get's warm FAST when you add layers over a woolnet.

I have very little with the zippered wool jackets, tend to find them too heavy but nice around heat in camp as they are not flammable. I've been a man on fire and not because I'm cool or skilled, so a little wary with synth (impregnation was super flammable) 😅

Has anyone owned both the Eberlestock Airbase (polypro) and the Aclima Woolnet (merino)? I currently use the airbase but I'm strongly considering grabbing a set of the Woolnet just for a comparison.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Just received my set of Aclima Woolnet top and bottoms. I can attest only to the fit and build quality but both are excellent and as described. The concept is brilliant and so obvious I can't believe they aren't more common.

Thanks for the tip.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
PS For everyone who's posted about their buddies laughing in the field ... I think I could handle that more than my partner laughing at me all day ... especially at the moments when I haven't had another layer on top.

All the sledging/hazing from mates would be nothing compared to her pointing to my nipples, as if I'm wearing a string bikini in public like it's 1978 ... :cry:
Lol I can so picture this happening in my home if I got these!

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone try the Patagonia Capilene Air? It is a merino blend that is supposed to be "airy".