Fishing kit

BuckSnort

WKR
I know this is a hunting website but it sure is fun to wet some lures while in the high country...Them little high altitude trout are always hungry and it's nice to eat a few fresh caught ones once in a while in addition to pack food...

My kit weighs in at 11oz. for a telescoping pole, reel, and a film canister with a few spinners... I prefer 2lb test for casting distance..

206332bc.jpg

This small assortment of spinners has worked for me everywhere... Rooster tails on the left...They cast a little farther... Panther Martins on the right...Design of the blade allows for a slower retrieve..

b80f77d1.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Becca and I have been using Dawia mini spins. I really like the hard sided case and putting them together vs. the telescoping ones I used for several years before that. Don't break as easy and just attach the box to the outside of the pack. A place inside the box for 10 or so 0-2 size spinners. Goes together fast.

Here is the link to that:
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Here are a few pics of some of the fish we caught, mostly arctic grayling and lake trout:
SANY0745.jpg

SANY0722.jpg

SANY0723.jpg

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
SANY0121.jpg

CIMG0748.jpg

One of the lakes we like to fish, in fact probably hike into there again for a 3 day backpacking trip here in the next couple weeks:
101_8210.jpg

I won't post the pic of the big one Becca caught out there last here that totally outfished me which is usually the norm anyways. :D

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Cool pics Luke, thanks for sharing them.. I know what you mean about the telescoping poles not lasting as I have broke a couple myself..Somehow the one I have now has lasted about 8 years or so... That last pic looks like a great place to go, nice scenery..

dotman

WKR
Luke, what does your setup weigh. I really have been considering this for scouting and during midday hunting.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Honestly, I'm not sure, I can have Becca see how much it weighs all up, since she is home. I know its not the lightest but its certainly nearly indestructible in the little box which is a plus. :D

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I told Luke, "He's HUUUUGE!", but he didn't believe me so I reeled it in to prove I was telling the truth :)

G Posik

WKR
Awesome, will be packing in an ultra lite set up this year. will get a couple pics tonight and post. Nothing special but hey you asked for pictures.

Glenn

Eagle

WKR
I've got a G Loomis ultralight two piece 5.5' rod (1.8 oz) a shimano 1000 reel with 4lb test (8oz) and then my tackle box and lures which comes in at 2.5 oz. No pictures of my setup, but all total its 12.3 oz to secure some awesome protein or have a great time relaxing.

Gander Mtn's spincast collapse units aren't bad for $30. Get the heavy/long one. They do break. I had a lure hit and break from a direct cast but they replaced it for nuthin.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody used the "water bobber" to fish flies on with regular spinning gear. I've been backpacking in the Sierras and was going to give it a try. It is basically a clear bobber filled with water, then a 3-6 foot leader tied to a fly. The set up maybe too heavy for ultralight tackle to cast, but the leader can use 2 lb. line.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have about an 12 ounce kit also like Bucksnorts. Lightweight telescoping pole, 4lb test and a handfull of lures. It sure is nice to cook up a couple of trout and crumbel them up in a mountain house. It sure is nice to add stuff to the mountain house to spice it up a little.