Fishing kit

Moe.JKU

FNG
No pics of the setup but i use a loop xact #4 at 85grams and loop xact reel at 139grams. then a small little case of flies. Hard not to go anywhere in the mountains without a fly rod up here. basically don't need to bring any food along most times.

chorpie

FNG
I may get shot for suggesting this, but for backpacking, try bringing a Tenkara rod. The average telescoping rod weight from Tenkara USA is 2.5-4.5 oz., and all you need to bring is a small assortment of flies, and whatever lines you want. Since this is a fixed length line on a telescoping rod, you are limited only by your line + tippet length. There are all sorts of lines made now (as opposed to a year ago), you can get level fluorocarbon lines, furled lines, and I think there's even a company that makes a floating line for it. Even with an ultralight box of flies and a few different make/lengths of line, you'd be under 10 oz. And the rods collapse to something like 14".

My backpacking trip last weekend ended up turning into a fishing trip... now mind you, California has gotten little to no snow the last couple years, so none of these trout were larger than 8", but i've easily landed 16-18" trout on my TenkaraUSA Amago.

9542534765_014b4d961a_c_d.jpg

9545317732_2e8d91b8d6_c_d.jpg

9542520887_0b6ca1c74d_c_d.jpg

9542530975_54048eafbd_c_d.jpg

9545320324_2d9693495e_c_d.jpg

9545321632_f6ce33e0d5_c_d.jpg

9545330134_d0a9e29ecc_c_d.jpg

9542544235_f6957dc1e8_c_d.jpg

Here is my kit:

0913.jpg

The rod is St Croix Triumph TRS60LF4 Travel Spinning Rod. It is 6 feet in length, and I opted for the fast action graphite version. It comes apart into 4 pieces for easy transport. When disassembled, it is 18 inches in length. The full rod weighs 3.2 oz as measured (even though it is listed as 3.5 oz). The rod is designed for up to 8 lb test line.

0733.jpg

The rod case is one that I made myself fluorescent light tube. It weighs 1.5 oz.

The reel is an Okuma Ultralight UL-10 spinning reel. It was the lightest reel I was able to find, and when I purchased it online I was worried that it would be a toy, but I was pleasantly surprised. It really feels like an actual reel. It has three ball bearings, and can handle line from 2 to 6 lb. I spooled some 4 lb line on it, of which the reel can hold 115 yards. The reel weighs 5.4 oz, and 5.8 oz with the line spooled on.

1143.jpg

The tackle is limited, not in number of pieces, but in that it is focused on small freshwater fish. It is comprised of several hooks, split shot, swivels, snaps, and a decent assortment of lures. I also have several floats and flies for some different techniques with which I am not good at all. The total weight of the tackle is 2.8 oz.

1533.jpg

That’s the entirety of my "ultralight" spin fishing kit. The tackle and reel are stored in a small bag and are kept in my pack. The rod in the case is strapped to the side of my pack.

1463.jpg

The total weight of my ultralight spin fishing kit is 13.6 oz with the bag which holds the tackle and reel.

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
Here is my kit:

0913.jpg

The rod is St Croix Triumph TRS60LF4 Travel Spinning Rod. It is 6 feet in length, and I opted for the fast action graphite version. It comes apart into 4 pieces for easy transport. When disassembled, it is 18 inches in length. The full rod weighs 3.2 oz as measured (even though it is listed as 3.5 oz). The rod is designed for up to 8 lb test line.

0733.jpg

The rod case is one that I made myself fluorescent light tube. It weighs 1.5 oz.

The reel is an Okuma Ultralight UL-10 spinning reel. It was the lightest reel I was able to find, and when I purchased it online I was worried that it would be a toy, but I was pleasantly surprised. It really feels like an actual reel. It has three ball bearings, and can handle line from 2 to 6 lb. I spooled some 4 lb line on it, of which the reel can hold 115 yards. The reel weighs 5.4 oz, and 5.8 oz with the line spooled on.

1143.jpg

The tackle is limited, not in number of pieces, but in that it is focused on small freshwater fish. It is comprised of several hooks, split shot, swivels, snaps, and a decent assortment of lures. I also have several floats and flies for some different techniques with which I am not good at all. The total weight of the tackle is 2.8 oz.

1533.jpg

That’s the entirety of my "ultralight" spin fishing kit. The tackle and reel are stored in a small bag and are kept in my pack. The rod in the case is strapped to the side of my pack.

1463.jpg

The total weight of my ultralight spin fishing kit is 13.6 oz with the bag which holds the tackle and reel.

Wow great kit Thanks for sharing

KMD

Banned
Great thread! Its tempting me to have my 3 weight Redington Drift/Pursuit 4pc. combo along. Are those high country trout finicky about flies?

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread! Its tempting me to have my 3 weight Redington Drift/Pursuit 4pc. combo along. Are those high country trout finicky about flies?

I have found that the more remote the lake the less finicky the fish seem. I think my whole fishing setup weighs about 2 pounds when I take both a spincasting and a fly rod. Sometimes the fish will be hitting spoons but leaving the flies alone. Sometimes they won't hit anything but a fly. I like to keep my options open. Previously my buddy would take a fly rod and I would take the spincaster. I noticed that it would flip-flop back and forth who was catching better fish from lake to lake.

I was going to post some pics but I still haven't figured it out. Anyone know why I can't get my flickr photos to post?

chorpie

FNG
I was going to post some pics but I still haven't figured it out. Anyone know why I can't get my flickr photos to post?

If you right click on your photo and choose the size (i usually use 800 px wide), on the resulting page, copy the download link and use that to post images.

It works better than using their generated bb code