Kids fishing rod/reel recommendation

When I handed the spinning rod/reel to my kids, I would stand over them with my hands over theirs to cast. I would hook my finger over theirs (that held the line) and 'flick' their finger off at the right moment. They got the idea pretty quick.

adamm88

WKR
Id pick up a spinning rod, my 7 year old son picked up casting a spinning rod really quick, if your chucking bait under bobber id go that route, i like shimano equipment, even the cheap stuff is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Agree spinning reel. All of my kids have been using them since 5 and they pick it up pretty quick. I'd recommend a Pfleuger Purist, $50, and she'll never outgrow it. Pfleuger, IMO, has the best balance andbit isn't even close. Zero wobble even on their cheaper models.

I would go with a 5'6 or 6'0 medium lite rod. The UL rods just don't have enough backbone to cast well for a little kid. Too much action for them to handle and control. Ugly Stick is hard to beat for a kid until they can take decent care of them. Not sure you can break one, even with some effort.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk