First truck purchase advice

With the fun caveat that I will be moving from CO to MI so could buy in either area. Prices look a fair bit lower in the Midwest, but I worry about the rust. We are going from a 1/4 acre to 10 acres to have chickens, goats, and will probably build a large greenhouse.

I don’t need much out of a truck besides A to B reliability. I have no plans to tow, and in the event I did it would be light. Preferably decent MPG but I do commute by motorcycle in fair weather so miles will be low regardless. My last “truck” was a Honda Odyssey I pulled the rear seat out of and it worked pretty well, but the utility and convenience of a bed will be much more warranted for starting up a homestead.

I’m tempted by a few different 2WD Tacoma listings in CO but they seem overpriced (close to 10K with 200K+ miles). I have a bad taste in my mouth with Ford and really any American made brand, but read good things about Rangers. I’m not opposed to going larger if the reliability and resale are better. I could spend above 10K but would prefer not to.

OP
ramsdude47
Interesting, the Ridgeline is one of the only trucks I haven’t looked into. Probably just because it’s kind of ugly, but IDGAF I drove an Odyssey lol.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Decide what you want size wise and option then go bigger with more and better option. I have made the lesser choice mistake, once.

gbuz ee

FNG
I owned Tacomas the entire time I worked for Ford. There is no comparison in longevity. I know have a 2010 Tundra that I love but I am sacrificing miles per gallon for bed size. Oh, and the rust proofing on Toyatas is not very good.

Interesting, the Ridgeline is one of the only trucks I haven’t looked into. Probably just because it’s kind of ugly, but IDGAF I drove an Odyssey lol.
I have an 06 Cummins, wife has a 4Runner and we bought a 24 oddessy since the 3rd kid is on the way, the van is sweet. Can’t wait to stack deer in the back of it haha.

Everytime I sell a 3/4 truck and downsize I had a Tacoma, if I ever had to do it again it would be the ridge line all day.

7mm-08

WKR
I would try to find a Gen 1 Tundra. Mine has been amazing.
They are amazing trucks! I have a 2002 Gen 1 Toyota Tundra with 70K on the odometer. Here's a word of caution - the frame rust issue on these trucks is real. Look for one from Arizona or some other location where they don't have snow if you want a solid one. And, be prepared to pay a premium for the vehicle. They don't get great gas mileage either.

Oldrifle

FNG
Choose your desired size and then go larger with better and more alternatives. If you can afford it, I personally would choose a Tacoma or new ranger.

OP
ramsdude47
Anyone see any red flags here? The guy seems like a straight shooter, it’s incredibly clean, well priced and he has good records.