First Suppressor - Need Advice

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All. I could use some advice.

I currently do not own a suppressor. I have been doing a lot of research and reading a lot of articles and have decided that I would like to purchase one. I don't have a lot of spare change laying around so this is a big purchase for me. I was thinking that it would be smart for me to buy one suppressor that would work for all of my rifles and pistols. I stumbled across what I think is a good deal on a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. Does anyone have any experience with this suppressor? Is it stupid to expect one suppressor to do everything? Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I’m not familiar with that one but if I ever get another one, it will be a direct thread. I have the DeadAir Sandman L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but with the amnesty period for AR pistol braces I can only imagine how overwhelmed the ATF is going to be with Form 1's. Whatever purchase you make you should do so ASAP. I can see wait times going well over 12 months.

IMO the only downside to modular cans is more options for something to come loose and get a baffle strike. Otherwise it's all about weight, length, and cleaning ability. Shorter, lighter, easier to clean = more money.

I purchased my first one in December and another a few weeks ago. The first one was a Harvester EVO, the second was a Oculus 22. I can see purchasing another moderate - heavy use .30 cal can that I can put on an AR and then being satisfied. Going through analysis paralysis myself it's my opinion people make a big deal about size and weight of them. If you're the guy who complains about carrying an 8-9lb rifle in the woods for a couple miles then do a little more research. If not, buy whatever will work on your rifle and fits your budget and you'll get used to it.

Hi, former SilencerShop Dealer here,

The 46 is a decent can. It doesn’t do anything GREAT, but it does do almost everything.

It can be quite the process and time consuming to change configurations. So if you are thinking about quickly changing calibers and such while at the range, that is pretty much a pipe dream. Pun intended.(Not impossible, however.) This is more to have it set up, take it and use it, and maybe change configurations before your next range or hunting trip. (There are some exceptions, when one configuration CAN be used for multiple calibers, such as putting it on a 5.56 with the .30 cal configuration.

Another thing to think about is the cost of all of the caliber kits, end caps, QD muzzle devices, adapters, etc. Pretty often people end up spending more on all of the configurations for the hybrid than it would have been to get two pretty good silencers plus tax stamps.

My personal opinion is to pick what firearm you REALLY want to suppress, and buy a dedicated can for that. I started with 30cal and a .22. (2 cans)

A good, lightweight, durable 30cal silencer can be used on hunting rifles, target rifles, AR’s etc, and pending material/construction can be used for nearly any 30cal, 5.56, and anything in between.

Also keep in mind you won’t want to shoot .22 through a non-serviceable silencer. I always recommend a dedicated 22 silencer if that is something you wish to have set-up.

Watch for deals and rebates on silencershop or your local dealer. Often I was able to get people into an Omega 300 (.30cal lightweight full auto rated,) a 22 silencer of their choice, and tax stamps for less than their Hybrid 46 shopping list total.

Also thought I’d throw in my current favorite, my Harvester Evo. Sub-$600, 30cal rated up to 300win mag. Not FA rated, however, so it’s really only for hunting rifles. So it greatly depends on what you want to accomplish.

wesfromky

WKR
Another thing to think about is the cost of all of the caliber kits, end caps, QD muzzle devices, adapters, etc. Pretty often people end up spending more on all of the configurations for the hybrid than it would have been to get two pretty good silencers plus tax stamps.
This is important to figure out well ahead of time. Switching between rifles and pistols will for sure require additional parts, as pistols need pistons and boosters, etc. And then the muzzle devices to switch between rifles can really add up. I am 235 days into my "90 day wait" and missed using it for last season, but I bought two - a .22 rimfire and a 9mm pcc can that can also handle .350. I started looking into running it on a pistol, and it would be kinda a pain to switch it back and forth, and cost $250+ in parts, not counting threaded barrels.

My advice is like much of the others - pick the primary hunting rifle and buy something for that. Then, start building out the rest if you want. I will be ordering a dedicated pistol and .30 cal can this year at some point, but expect it to take longer then these two, unless they make major changes in the process.

Last edited:
Buy one of the new TBAC Dominus that they just released with the HUB mount. Best rifle suppressor and mounting system combo on the market today. You can find 50% off TBAC certificates on snipershide for $250-$275 and 100% off certs for $750-$800 and really helps with the cost.

OP
weisenbu

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the awesome replies. Those are very, very helpful. It looks like the general consensus is to skip the one-size-fits-all Hybrid 46 and focus more on my known, immediate needs, which is a suppressed hunting rifle. That is good advice. Thank you for taking the time to fill me in!!!

If you want the lightest and most compact that I could find:

If you want the lightest and most compact that I could find:

Ultra 5 is more compact and lighter than both of those and blows them both out of the water.

Dominus with Hub is still the way to go though.

Thank you all for the awesome replies. Those are very, very helpful. It looks like the general consensus is to skip the one-size-fits-all Hybrid 46 and focus more on my known, immediate needs, which is a suppressed hunting rifle. That is good advice. Thank you for taking the time to fill me in!!!

You’re welcome! Highly recommend the Harvester Evo over many of the other listed much more expensive recommendations. Not sure why I’d spend more to achieve the same result. Just my $0.02! Best of luck in the search.

What would this do that my Harvester Evo ($600) cant? (Serious question. I repeatedly see TBAC recommendations and it seems like people simple don’t care about price.)

Far better build quality and construction.

You can find plenty of threads of the TBAC fanboys if you search around here. I never found anything substantial enough to spend twice as much. Most suppressors have life time warranties and I've never heard of anything blowing apart, etc. so construction and material doesn't seem like a valid argument unless you're chasing grams.

I got the 46 as my first can, thinking it would do everything. It sort of does. I've had it on everything from a 9mm Glock to a .458 SOCOM. It is a decent can, but big and heavy, and the end caps and such that allstajacket mentioned are also really expensive. I opted to direct thread it on most of the guns, just skipping more moving parts in the quick detach system.

Just know that this will likely not be your only can. I would look at some of the sales that are offered, I think SilencerCo was doing a buy one get a rimfire can free deal a while ago. My pick for a long range rifle would probably be the Ultra 9, just because that is what I have the most exposure to. Whatever you choose, skip the Witt Machine cans. I am stuck with one I waited 14 months for and it is heavy garbage.