First step into the archery arena...

As the title says, I’ve taken my first steps in learning another piece of equipment.

With this said, bows depreciate in value over time with some exceptions on brand. I’m not looking for a 2020 Hoyt but one that’s 3-4 yrs old fully loaded w/a 60-70 wt. My intent is to use it here in Texas for deer and hogs. However, elk, mule deer, and black bear are on the menu as far as animals I’d pursue later on in life. Price range $450-$500.

However, I’d like to hear everyone’s opinion or suggestions through their lessons learned in being a bow owner/hunter on what brands/models to avoid as well as the best bang for ones buck in buying a used bow. For ex: Is buying a 2018 Hoyt Carbon Defiant 30 money better spent vs. 2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT? What price should I expect?

Tuesday I’m going to a local bow shop to find out my dl. My intent is to sponge some knowledge off the older gentlemen (owner) to become more knowledgable as well.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Everyone has favorites, mine is definitely not a Hoyt defiant. That bow left a pretty poor taste in my mouth after years of shooting a Hoyt. I think the rest of them are all right.

Bows are pretty personal just like a lot of other things. Really need to shoot several to get a feel for what you like, what you can't stand. I hate a short bow. That's me, others prefer them. Lots of companies making really good bows now, one of the more important things to consider is when something goes wrong. Your going to want a local dealer who can get you back out the door and shooting quickly. Support your local pro-shop, that is going to be your greatest resource.

Go to pro shop and get fitted proper. They might have some used bows in stock. If not then hit the market looking for a Hoyt Nitrum 34, Hoyt Helix Ultra or a RX-1 ultra in your draw length. Happy shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk