First Lite Mid Layer

Rucker61

WKR
What is the more useful midlayer, Chama or Halstead, to go along with Llano and Umcompaghre. To be used for spring turkey and archery elk hunting.

I'd vote the Chama as I think the Halstead is a bit thicker. I'd overheat too quick with the Llano, Halstead and Uncompaghre.

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
IMO the Chama Hoody is the most useful single piece of clothing out there. I wear mine all year long. Plus its wool so it wont stink. The Halstead is synthetic (still a great piece).

gmajor

WKR
I would guess Chama. I wear a merino work shirt (beacon) from ibex that is a similar weight, and I wear it all the after the hot months.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Another for the chama. Halstead is a nice piece but it's not in my backcountry wardrobe. I stick to wool except for my puffy and waterproof layer. Just my $.02.

gelton

WKR
Not to hijack the thread but I am considering either a FL chama qz or sitka traverse qz, anyone have any experience with both that might prefer one over the other? Sounds like the chama is the clear winner so far.

Kotaman

WKR
Not to hijack the thread but I am considering either a FL chama qz or sitka traverse qz, anyone have any experience with both that might prefer one over the other? Sounds like the chama is the clear winner so far.

Apples and Oranges really. Synthetic vs. wool. I have both, and for the back country, I'll take wool everytime. The Traverse is nice for local hunts or lounging though. I just hates how sythetic smells after a few days in the back country. Charma is the clear winner for me.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Apples and Oranges really. Synthetic vs. wool. I have both, and for the back country, I'll take wool everytime. The Traverse is nice for local hunts or lounging though. I just hates how sythetic smells after a few days in the back country. Charma is the clear winner for me.

ill agree with kotaman here. I have both and used both this past season. they are totally different. I really like the traverse and even wore it over the chama during a couple cooler days, but you will get more days out of your chama without it stinking. the traverse will maybe make it 2-3 days (using as a mid layer) before it will stink if you are lucky. The chama is awesome and noticed I used it a lot, will probably get another one for this season.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to toss my hat in the Halstead pile. I love that piece. Wore it on several multi-day trips. No worse smelling than any other clothing I had on. I had the chama and wore it on 2 trips. Then it stayed in the closet.

maybe this needs to be its own thread but i dont understand the affinity with wool midlayers. theyre heavier, take longer to dry, typically not as warm (ie loft). are you guys getting so sweaty with midlayers on that theyre getting foul and thats the highlight?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For ME.......fleece, hands down, Halstead or otherwise. I got rid of my Chama's because I never used them. Don't like them. As said above, they're heavy for what they are and don't provide enough warmth when I need it. I absolutely love fleece and have many different weights of it that I use year round. Lighter than wool, and much warmer for that lighter weight. And drying fleece takes about as long as shaking it out.

weaver

WKR
maybe this needs to be its own thread but i dont understand the affinity with wool midlayers. theyre heavier, take longer to dry, typically not as warm (ie loft). are you guys getting so sweaty with midlayers on that theyre getting foul and thats the highlight?
I agree...I love wool for base layers but run synthetic for everything else.

Llano, Chama, Fleece... I've been using them all when needed and will continue to pack all three.

know y'all like the merino for cold weather , but nothing better in hot weather. find the lightest t's for the heat in se ga summer

Kotaman

WKR

For me it comes down to one thing: The funk. I can wear wool for 20 days without stinking. I can wear synthetics for two days. SO, do I pack 4 synthetics on a 10 day hunt? Or one Chama? The Chama is lighter. :D

BRWNBR

WKR
I don't have any first lite gear yet, but will Ina couple weeks. But I have been using different forms of merino wool for about six or seven years. The stuff is amazing, hands down better than any synthetic I've used. Tougher, dries faster, warmer and yet cooler, the no smell factor is huge. I love fleece for really cold conditions but my base layers are always merino no matter what's on the outside. I probably average 150
Days in these clothes a year.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka Traverse will over heat you very fast. I just picked up the Chama and it is was exactly what I was missing in my layers. Not too heavy to overheat but heavy enough to keep warm on the moove.
I now have 2.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Chama Hoody was perfect for tree-stand sits as well. I was surprised by how well the hood kept my neck and head warm when paired with the FL Neck Gater in cold winds.