Warmest mid layer hoody for us thin blooded guys?

Brusso89

FNG
Trying to see what you guys have experience with for a warm mid layer hoodie. I'm a thin blooded desert guy so warmth would be first, durability second, breathability third and weight last. I get you can't have it all, especially when it comes to breathability and warmth. Maybe the kuiu strongfleece 275 or the first lite rugged wool (I haven't had great durability out of the very few first lite items I've owned). If I can avoid something heavy then that's a bonus but for conversation sake, I'm open to everything.

2-Stix

WKR
Your in the right direction. Closed cell, no grid fleece, and high loft. I have a few strong fleeces and they are warm...but I run warm. You could look at Mountain Hardware and arc'teryx. I have a long history with backpacking and mountaineering and those brands don't disappoint.

Wapiti151

WKR
Are you looking for active or stationary mid layer? I transitioned to a light base layer, and use the jacket style midlayers as an active insulation piece now and will never go back...the versatility is still there, ability to dump heat, but it is far warmer than any of the pullovers I've had while still being highly breathable. I'd take a look at the Sitka Ambient or SG Cirque series. I have the arrowhead version of the ambient which I love, and if I want to go a little warmer but still breathable...I go SG Cirque Lite. The Cirque is much better than the Ambient in windy conditions from my experience. I've learned a lot from reading posts by @mtwarden....he's gone down about every active insulation rabbit hole you can think of and trust what he says when it comes to performance.

Bump79

WKR
I don't like heavy weight wool. A lofted polyester performs better in my opinion. I'd look at the new Kuiu Encounter 290 for max warmth - but I haven't got my hands on it. The 275 will be more durable and cut wind better I'm sure as is tighter woven. I haven't used with but I've used the peloton 200 and 97 extensively. Great pieces. 97 is fragile though.

cgavason

FNG
Are you looking for active or stationary mid layer? I transitioned to a light base layer, and use the jacket style midlayers as an active insulation piece now and will never go back...the versatility is still there, ability to dump heat, but it is far warmer than any of the pullovers I've had while still being highly breathable. I'd take a look at the Sitka Ambient or SG Cirque series. I have the arrowhead version of the ambient which I love, and if I want to go a little warmer but still breathable...I go SG Cirque Lite. The Cirque is much better than the Ambient in windy conditions from my experience. I've learned a lot from reading posts by @mtwarden....he's gone down about every active insulation rabbit hole you can think of and trust what he says when it comes to performance.

Cirque Lite with a Sitka Heavyweight hoody is the ticket for me on cold days. Adding a Huntworth Saskatoon got me into the low 20’s this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are truly thin blooded then maybe go with a light insulated jacket vs fleece mid layer. A jacket I really like and use a lot is the KUIU Kenai hooded. It is light, warm, breathes well, and has a great hood. KUIU makes nice hoods. It layers well under an outer layer too. It is not durable and will pic easily and pile with abrasion.

Depends if you intend on being active or mostly for sitting.

Anyway, when it comes to real cold, it's hard to beat wool. I've ditched a lot of my "high speed" gear and have gone back to using either an old wool sweater my grandpa used to wear, or an old Canadian Army wool shirt. The later was issued to me when I first joined the Army and it's one of my favourite piece of clothing.

cgavason

FNG
I guess really depends on his hunting style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearsears

WKR
If we are talking active hunting then get something from the Sitka Ambient line and a light windshirt to wear under it when the wind is blowing. If you are static glassing or sitting, I don't care what mid layer you have the puffy layer needs to come out to stay warm in the cold.

The Ambient for me has been the warmest yet still breathable midlayer Ive ever owned. I now have the thicker jacket for really cold conditions and the hoody for everything else. Wind layers are game changers. Ive spoken about this multiple times if you search it. As someone else said @mtwarden is a wealth of knowledge and Im pretty sure hes on the wind layer train too.

Ill never wear a midlayer wool again. I think they are heavy, clammy, move moisture terribly slow, and take forever to dry. In my opinion wool only has a place in lightweight base layers. I love a light weight wool base top when its hot for all the reasons above. once its wet with sweat it stays wet and I get some great evaporative cooling from it. Once the temps drop mid to late season I go full synthetic in every layer.

I would look hard at the Sitka ambient line. I’ve been incredibly impressed and own the 3/4 zip and the full zip now.

Rabbit46

FNG
Kuiu Strongfleece is a good option. I really like my Strongfleece 235 Zip-T Hoody. I find it keeps me quite warm and has a very durable exterior.

If you are a guy who likes merino wool. I also really like my First Lite Furnace 350 Merino Hoody. This is a nice thick sweatshirt that will heat a guy right up. While probably a bit warmer than the Kuiu Strongfleece 235, it doesn't have as durable of an exterior being merino. That said, I find myself wearing it alot and haven't seen much wear. However, if i was going to be busting through brush, I would definitely opt for the Strongfleece option though.

Bump79

WKR
I'd seriously consider the OR Vigor Plus Hoody. If you're willing to try stuff out - The Dive Bomb 320 Powerwool might be interesting.

Dos XX

WKR
If they would put a kangaroo pocket on a Sitka heavyweight hoody, I would live in one during cold weather.

I really like my Kuiu peleton 1/4 zip. It might be a little light for you if you describe yourself as thin blooded and get cold easily. May be still work a look or the next heavier model.

Wapiti151

WKR
If they would put a kangaroo pocket on a Sitka heavyweight hoody, I would live in one during cold weather.
The Sitka Fanatic hoody is essentially that. Heavyweight hoody weight, kangaroo pocket, and it has built in mitten type things. I have one and like it. I sold most of my HW hoodies due to switching to active insulation, but kept the fanatic. It’s great. It’s just marketed as a whitetail piece.

Dos XX

WKR
The Sitka Fanatic hoody is essentially that. Heavyweight hoody weight, kangaroo pocket, and it has built in mitten type things. I have one and like it. I sold most of my HW hoodies due to switching to active insulation, but kept the fanatic. It’s great. It’s just marketed as a whitetail piece.
I have seen those online. The built in mitten thing drove me away. I guess I could cut them off if they are in the way too much.