First big trip with little kids

zacattack

WKR
This is really far out but looking for suggestions now so I can start planning ahead. Have two boys that will be 4 and 3 next summer. Wanting to take them on a camping trip somewhere. They have been camping several times already for 1 and 2 night stays, and generally do pretty good in the tent. What are some good places to take them for a longer trip, pretty open to anywhere. They are just getting into fishing so someplace where they can get some opportunity to fish would be nice too. Was thinking Smoky Mountains but me and the wife have been there quite a bit already when we lived nearby.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I have three boys and IMO starting them outdoors early is the best thing you can do.
I started day trips when they were still in diapers. Yes it's more trouble, but they grow up understanding that they can be comfortable outdoors away from home.
There could be a book written on this I suppose, but I'll give you a few things to consider. I can't give a specific location.
1. Bring easy meals, snacks, drinks. My two youngest still talk about the first time we went deer hunting out of a tent, and cooked kielbasa and beans for dinner.
2. Wipe on bug/tick repellent. Bring chapstick and use it often. Sunscreen is worth its weight in gold.
3. Plan their clothing carefully. They can get uncomfortable quickly and that ends the fun.
4. Have a bailout plan. Things don't always work out. Sometimes it's better to back out and keep it fun, than to stick it out and have the memory of misery.
5. This is actually a training session, and though it may not be as "successful" it will be very fulfilling. Be flexible, keep it fun, what you establish now lasts a lifetime.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
This is really far out but looking for suggestions now so I can start planning ahead. Have two boys that will be 4 and 3 next summer. Wanting to take them on a camping trip somewhere. They have been camping several times already for 1 and 2 night stays, and generally do pretty good in the tent. What are some good places to take them for a longer trip, pretty open to anywhere. They are just getting into fishing so someplace where they can get some opportunity to fish would be nice too. Was thinking Smoky Mountains but me and the wife have been there quite a bit already when we lived nearby.
Missouri is a good place for kids. There are some pretty mountainous areas and the trout fishing can be really good. A lot of those fish are planted, but planted fish are ok - especially for kids IMHO. Since you live in Michigan, the northern part of the UP can be pretty cool too.

Braaap

WKR
It really doesn’t matter. Your kids will have fun camping anywhere that has dirt, trees, sticks, maybe a boulder, lake or pond, creek etc. My kids just love the freedom to run around and get dirty and eat s’mores. Kids are super easy to please so just pick something that will be somewhat easy and low stress for you and the kids will love it.

malpal21

FNG
It really doesn’t matter. Your kids will have fun camping anywhere that has dirt, trees, sticks, maybe a boulder, lake or pond, creek etc. My kids just love the freedom to run around and get dirty and eat s’mores. Kids are super easy to please so just pick something that will be somewhat easy and low stress for you and the kids will love it.
I agree. It won't matter. They'll love it no matter what. My kids have loved everything we chose to do with them so far. It's all about the family time and fun.