Camping near Salt Lake?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The girls are going to a concert in Salt Lake in early June, we all might roll out and do some camping to/from. For the concert itself we'd want to be in proximity to the city relatively speaking so not way up in the mountains. Here's what I've initially dug up but curious if those in the know have other suggestions or input. I have a 29' hitch to bumper length trailer with solar and can boondock no problem, only need power for AC if camping somewhere really hot.

-In town there is a KOA and another park, expensive and surrounded by town (and vagrants) is a con, a pro being easy for the girls to get to the concert.
-There are some national forest campgrounds 20mi away, Spruces seemed like it'd accommodate a trailer easiest.
-BLM south of town, likely dusty/hot, lots of ATV activity, longer drive. Really only pro there is if I brought some rifles so me and the boys could do some shooting (but we can do that in CO too).
-Antelope island, longer drive and sounds like gnats/mosquitoes might be intense that timeframe? It has power so if hot we have the AC available. We've seen bison before so not out of this world novel but it is fun to watch them.

Would you do multiple locations?
Up in mountains then in town type of thing.
Everyone talks about the deer and bison at antelope Island but it's worth going just to see the giant chukars.

rcb2000

WKR
The girls are going to a concert in Salt Lake in early June, we all might roll out and do some camping to/from. For the concert itself we'd want to be in proximity to the city relatively speaking so not way up in the mountains. Here's what I've initially dug up but curious if those in the know have other suggestions or input. I have a 29' hitch to bumper length trailer with solar and can boondock no problem, only need power for AC if camping somewhere really hot.

-In town there is a KOA and another park, expensive and surrounded by town (and vagrants) is a con, a pro being easy for the girls to get to the concert.
-There are some national forest campgrounds 20mi away, Spruces seemed like it'd accommodate a trailer easiest.
-BLM south of town, likely dusty/hot, lots of ATV activity, longer drive. Really only pro there is if I brought some rifles so me and the boys could do some shooting (but we can do that in CO too).
-Antelope island, longer drive and sounds like gnats/mosquitoes might be intense that timeframe? It has power so if hot we have the AC available. We've seen bison before so not out of this world novel but it is fun to watch them.
Go up to the Uintas

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would you do multiple locations?
Up in mountains then in town type of thing.
Everyone talks about the deer and bison at antelope Island but it's worth going just to see the giant chukars.
To/from we'll do outdoors stuff in mountains, etc. I was asking mainly about where to camp in proximity to the city to facilitate the girls going to a concert one night.
What venue?
Rice-Ecceles Stadium
Go up to the Uintas
That doesn't really help with close to the city for the night of the concert. ;)

rcb2000

WKR
To/from we'll do outdoors stuff in mountains, etc. I was asking mainly about where to camp in proximity to the city to facilitate the girls going to a concert one night.

Rice-Ecceles Stadium

That doesn't really help with close to the city for the night of the concert. ;)
ahhh sorry,, misunderstood.
Looks like there is camping up Immigration canyon, 40 minutes from the stadium

CorbLand

WKR

Rice-Ecceles Stadium

I would try to stay as close as possible for that one night. Driving in and out can be a nightmare. I have been there a couple times and have family that lives close so we park there and walk to and from. Much better than driving.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
We camped at Antelope Island this summer—I definitely think it’s worth the trip although it can get very hot out there at times in the summer months. Cool to walk out to the Salt Lake…

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look at Cherry Hills in Kaysville, it's a pretty venue with a water slide/park. I'd guess it'll be 50-60 bucks a night for full hookups. It's not outdoorsly but you won't have any drama in Davis county. Easy access to and from the interstate and 20 +- miles from the stadium. Book early they will sell out without a doubt.

Not sure how old your kids are but stay an extra day and do the lagoon theme park, it's basically across the interstate.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
There's no place really close to Rice Eccles in terms of time (especially after an event). I think I'd look anyplace on the Wasatch back, or Uintas. Spruces would work if you can get a spot and is closer in miles, but in terms of time, I don't think Kamas, or Heber City are all that much different once you get to the freeway.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Look at Cherry Hills in Kaysville, it's a pretty venue with a water slide/park. I'd guess it'll be 50-60 bucks a night for full hookups. It's not outdoorsly but you won't have any drama in Davis county. Easy access to and from the interstate and 20 +- miles from the stadium. Book early they will sell out without a doubt.

Not sure how old your kids are but stay an extra day and do the lagoon theme park, it's basically across the interstate.
Thanks, I'll definitely look closer at this one, they're preteen/early teens so they still enjoy things like waterslides plenty.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Actually there is camping at that Lagoon too (rates a bit better too), they aren't taking reservations till later in Feb but that has serious potential cause me and the boys could just hang out there all day and the girls could do the morning and then head out. Thanks for the suggestion.

jewbacca

FNG
Willard Bay State Park has a nice campground with hookups. It's just under an hour to the stadium. Personally, I'd prefer that than staying in the KOA. But that's up to you.

If you want to be closer, check out the Pony Express RV Resort in North Salt Lake. There are plenty of long-term residents, but I don't see as many homeless around that area.

June usually isn't blazing hot yet. Last year I think we had mid-70s highs almost till July.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
As posted above, Pony Express is a good Park to stay at, I have stayed there several times. Clean and quite. You have easy access North or South. Plus a great bike/walking trail. If Heber City interests you stay here.... mountainvalleyrv.com
This is a great park to stay. We always stay there for Utah High School Finals Rodeo Your only about 1 hour or less from Rice Eccles.

I have never stayed at the Cherry Creek park in Kaysville. But as someone else stated they do have a water park there. You might see about the campsites at Lagoon.

If your going to stay at a park, get your reservation in early. They will fill up pretty quick.

I used to live South of SLC. Some BLM land to stay at out that way. Farther west to 5 mile or South along the lake. Traffic is getting bad out there and with only a couple of ways in and out of that area you would need to plan on at least an hour or more travel time.

Last edited:
OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You might see about the campsites at Lagoon.
Yeah they have campsites there and they look a bit nicer than at Cherry Creek (not so packed) and also that park (rides and slides) would interest the boys more than just slides. They aren't taking reservations till mid/late Feb but strongly considering there once I discuss it with the crew.