First 3D Course, How Many Arrows Should I Expect to Break or Loose?

I am relatively new to archery. I shoot my bow daily and I group fairly well within 3 inches at 40 yards under perfect conditions.

I am going to a 3D course on Saturday...any tips as to what I should expect?

One concern that I do have is my 40 yard pin is not set on level ground at all. I essentially have to shoot down hill at a 15 degree slope. How much is that going to hurt me?

I appreciate any advice!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That depends on what kind of arrows you're using. I wouldn't expect to break any arrows even if I missed every target.

As for losing them, they're pretty easy to find unless there's tall grass or duff to bury the arrow in.

Only way I break arrows at a 3D course is if someone Robin Hoods me.. just shoot with terrible shooters and you shouldnt have to worry about it :D

As far as losing them, like 5MilesBack said, you usually don't lose them much. And some ranges will put some sort of a back stop behind the targets or have you shooting downward so that you dont lose your arrow if you miss the target all together.

LostArra

WKR
Only way I break arrows at a 3D course is if someone Robin Hoods me.. just shoot with terrible shooters and you shouldnt have to worry about it :D

As far as losing them, like 5MilesBack said, you usually don't lose them much. And some ranges will put some sort of a back stop behind the targets or have you shooting downward so that you dont lose your arrow if you miss the target all together.

Except for those targets on the bank of a pond!

Randle

WKR
As far as, breaking arrows , we have steel bunnies, and iron bucks in idaho . You don't have to shoot them but they are extra points. I carry 6 ocassionaly lose one in the wet deep grass. And some times the iron buck will get me . I have also seen guys hit the legs of targets a hit re-bar . Sometime the bighorn set up behind a rock where the vitals are barely showing. I will go with 6 and maybe once a year loose or break one. I recommend 3 to 4 .

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what distance you shoot and how well you judge yardage. You will occasionally get a busted nock or robinhood from other shooters. On courses around here there is usually several targets that don't have any type of back stop (pond or creek banks, on top of a rise). If the targets are shot up, it's possible to shoot through them occasionally. Sometimes we will have two or three targets from the same stake.(so need enough for that). Overall you should be fine with 4-6 arrows.

Just have fun with it. It is also very addictive.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Go to a Total Archery Challenge shoot. Take a quiver full then lol. Shots out to 120 yards or so. Arrows float so don't worry about ponds :)

ktowncamo

WKR
Go to a Total Archery Challenge shoot. Take a quiver full then lol. Shots out to 120 yards or so. Arrows float so don't worry about ponds :)

Total Archery Challenge (specifically Snowbird event) has made grown men cry. It's an arrow graveyard up there!

Most shoots I've done don't claim more than a couple of arrows. I'd say 6-8 arrows will have you comfortable and confident for most 3D shoots.

Randle

WKR
Oh yeah forgot about the snow shoots . Shot with a friend April one year , he lost 5 arrows in the snow behind targets . He was a little miffed .