Final Rise - New era of upland vests

Macintosh

WKR
Perhaps…I dont actually disagree…but the “hype” is because for close to a decade it was the ONLY vest with weight-bearing straps/hip-belt, water bottle holders, shell-pockets deep enough to carry a full box of shells and not spill them, and last more than a season. Heck, before WW the fricking filson tin cloth vest with cotton straps was the standard for strap vests—thats like the stone-age by comparison. For a long time WW was light-years ahead of anything else that existed for a bird hunting vest, and worth every inch of the hype. Along with a few other brands from the 90’s-ish and very early 2000’s (Mother, etc) Ww IS the reason we have all these various technical strap vests now, for bird hunting, but also for turkey hunting, etc. I think a lot of peoples’ preference for layout of a vest or pack is just that—preference—and doesnt usually say anything one way or another about whether its a good or innovative product. It’s the next crop of imitators that copies the good parts, while refining the parts that could be better focused for X, Y or Z use, that might get you closer to your ideal. I think many of the vests mentioned in this thread (orvis, but also quilomene/q5, plus several others) are that “next step”. I would not call any of those particularly innovative, nor do I think any of them “re-write the history of bird hunting vests”, but are probably all a step forward in useability and refinement in various areas. Being able to actually procure one is a good step, too.

Tradchef

WKR
I enjoy mine. I use it for mountain grouse, on the prairies for huns, ringnecks and sharptails and for mountain hares, cottontails and jacks and I’ll be using it for turkeys come spring. It’s even carried a few coyotes as well. I had just upgraded this past September from an old Cabelas vest that was USA made and went through some shit for about 30 years but it held strong. So this was a huge upgrade. I had looked at the Filson Tin Cloth but I decided on this mainly as I hunt the mountains in montana a lot and I liked the layout. I didn’t get the attachments as I don’t really need them but I bought the regular summit just in case I wanted to add any later on down the road. But for hiking steeps and nasty coulees I really like how it rides like a pack but feels like a vest and is pretty light overall. I think I was a worthwhile investment for sure 🤙🤙🤙🤙

Attachments

• 0895C5FC-9B24-4070-A7D8-67A5946674CA.jpeg
    0895C5FC-9B24-4070-A7D8-67A5946674CA.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 88804E09-8117-46EF-A320-B81A1A3415C3.jpeg
    88804E09-8117-46EF-A320-B81A1A3415C3.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 13