Figuring out how to enjoy life

My beautiful wife taught me a good life lesson. If you wait until you have the time and money to go and do what you want to do in life. You probably won't get there.
Seems to me anyhows that when I'm working extra n have extra bucks, no time. Or time n need the bucks to live on. It's kinda endless.
Hey make the time. And the memories. Only got one chance man.
Yep. I think for a vast majority of us it’s a got the time but not the funds or, I’ve got the funds but, not the time.

As I edge ever close to fifty this year, I’m finding it’s a time thing and not funds like before.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've lived life to the fullest throughout my life. Pretty much got all the body beating stuff out of the way early on........except elk hunting. That continues and I still come home bloody. So now these days, ya I need a hot tub and Ibuprofen every day and I'm in constant pain......but I had fun when I was younger. I still push the envelope at times, but that drive for the adrenaline rush isn't quite as strong as it used to be. So these days, we just travel whenever we want. But I still stay active every day. There's always some work to be done around the place, especially spring through fall. Staying active is enjoyable for me, I like physical work.

You folks are correct. In the early 90s fed rates went up by a factor of three. However university wages have stayed in the toilet since the beginning - even with three bachelors and a masters.

KsRancher

WKR
You folks are correct. In the early 90s fed rates went up by a factor of three. However university wages have stayed in the toilet since the beginning - even with three bachelors and a masters.
Not what I would consider meager for 1990. But what I have learned is that not everyone is created equal on what they believe. There is always someone who makes more and someone who makes less. I consider what I make pretty good. But it would be considered LESS than meager to a lot of people on here

EDIT. Was not intended to be rude or condescending to Pony Soldier. Glad he could raise his family and do all he did off of his income.

Climbing the corporate ladder and work/life balance do not have to be mutually exclusive. Just don't work for shitty companies. I work hard, but never miss a thing with my family and hunt more than most.
It depends on where you work and what field/business.

My wife is a VP of corporate finance. She worked her way up rapidly and although it took some sacrifices it wasn’t too terrible. She has amazing flexibility in her schedule now.

I work in healthcare. I’m stuck in the middle of nursing administration. I work absurd hours and don’t make much more than what I did as a bedside nurse. I have no flexibility in my schedule.

I have two choices. Take my lumps for a 3-5yrs in the spot that I’m in and then probably move up to a higher level position such as director or even VP. Or say f@ck it and go back to working my 3 12s as a bedside nurse.

I was much happier doing my 3 12s.

S.Clancy

WKR
As far as I'm concerned, my dad did it the right way. Owned his own chiropractic business, worked 28-30 hrs a week, drove older vehicles (he drove a shitty 1980's Mercury Sable while making six figures in the late 90s/early 2000s) and hunted/fished/golfed/horse packed and wrangled 4 kids the rest of the time. People always asked why he didn't work more. He would always say "cause I may die tomorrow, time is worth more than money". He was prophetic and died at 52. His only regret would have been not seeing us grow up. All my memories of him are some crazy/stupid adventure, not some fancy trip or trinket. Type 2 fun always.

Rich M

WKR

My wife is a VP of corporate finance. She worked her way up rapidly and although it took some sacrifices it wasn’t too terrible. She has amazing flexibility in her schedule now.

I work in healthcare. I’m stuck in the middle of nursing administration. I work absurd hours and don’t make much more than what I did as a bedside nurse. I have no flexibility in my schedule.

I have two choices. Take my lumps for a 3-5yrs in the spot that I’m in and then probably move up to a higher level position such as director or even VP. Or say f@ck it and go back to working my 3 12s as a bedside nurse.

Get an MBA and you’ll get the promotion more quickly. Btdt.

CorbLand

WKR
Trust me, I know. I work for a university.

svivian

WKR
For you corporate guys… if you aren’t negotiating your vacation/PTO time every year while getting merit increases you are leaving opportunity on the table.

Coming from a corporate guy with 6 weeks of vacation 5 years into my career. Started with 2 weeks of vacation

Clarktar

WKR
As far as I'm concerned, my dad did it the right way. Owned his own chiropractic business, worked 28-30 hrs a week, drove older vehicles (he drove a shitty 1980's Mercury Sable while making six figures in the late 90s/early 2000s) and hunted/fished/golfed/horse packed and wrangled 4 kids the rest of the time. People always asked why he didn't work more. He would always say "cause I may die tomorrow, time is worth more than money". He was prophetic and died at 52. His only regret would have been not seeing us grow up. All my memories of him are some crazy/stupid adventure, not some fancy trip or trinket. Type 2 fun always.
A great path to emulate.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tony

WKR

RN (BSN) 15 years now, worked fire/ems while going to school making it much easier to do so. paid for pretty much the entire program out of pocket. Retired with 25 years at an early age and have been nursing since. No way I’d be a manager, I like to dick off to much. I’m a prison nurse now and work a week off a week. I still run ems once a month or so just to drop a few coins in the state retirement plan.
You looked at traveling? My GF is a travel CT tech and is making crazy money. I know what nurses can pull in. I’m old and too set in my ways to do it. I have no interest in trauma or the associated shit that comes with the ED. I did ED work and hauled the assholes on the squad I had to babysit in the ED

Some good stuff in this thread!
Can only add this wisdom, to help add years to your life...

Don't sweat the petty things, and never pet the sweaty things.

WKR
Bought a Lund during covid. Wife and I fish together 2-3 times a week during April to August. Married a long time and never realized the fishing beast that lived inside my wife. She is a bit of a walleye fanatic lol.

A stage in our life where writing a check for a boat was easy and its been a lot of fun. But kids are grown and gone and on their own so we were patient enough to wait for the right time. I would not enjoy walking past the boat to drive to work while making boat payments for example.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For you corporate guys… if you aren’t negotiating your vacation/PTO time every year while getting merit increases you are leaving opportunity on the table.
I always had at least 4 weeks every year, but also had no problem taking time off unpaid if need be as well. I know it's just an added "benefit", but that whole PTO thing has always been a foreign concept to me.......the idea of someone paying me while I wasn't working (SMH). "A day's wages for a day's work".

Rich M

WKR

Coming from a corporate guy with 6 weeks of vacation 5 years into my career. Started with 2 weeks of vacation

You done well - We do PTO by time with the company. Will allow a SR level person to negotiate an extra week in the beginning. Max time is 5 weeks here.

Anyway - Doesn't hurt to ask.