Fieldcraft is about to be back on the menu boys

Why did the Fieldcraft disappear? Seems like they had the golden egg there and the price was nice!
I think when they got the ASR contract they were legally obligated via the contract to redirect manufacturing capacity to fulfill it. So the Fieldcrafts were one of the things that fell through. To be honest I have no idea how they made any money on those things at the price they were selling them. Having used and been around my father's Fieldcraft, that thing feels like it's punching up way past its price point ($1850 for his 18" threaded 6.5CM).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Kimber is a better rifle. The Wilson rifle lost everything that made a ULA/NULA what it was- the stock, the full length bedding, blind magazine, and the man making them; and then added a dog knot for a handle. It also lost everything that made a Fieldcraft a good rifle- full length bedding, better scope mounting, COAL mag boxes and correct twist rates, and short threaded muzzles done right.

The Wilson rifle is no different than any other R700 based aftermarket rifle. The action is a little lighter than most, but same trigger, stock, scope mounting, BDL magazine, messed up COAL/throating, stupid twist rates, longer barrels, etc.

They’ll more than likely sell rifles because Wilson has loyal customers, but it’s heavily compromised in nearly all respects.

One can only hope.
Ok Im not buying one. I'd rather have a seekins havak element anyhow.

Ok Im not buying one. I'd rather have a seekins havak element anyhow.
The Seekins Elements do appear to be the current easy button for an extremely lightweight hunting rifle and from Seekins' reputation I don't have any doubts about their quality.

z987k

WKR
The Kimber is a better rifle. The Wilson rifle lost everything that made a ULA/NULA what it was- the stock, the full length bedding, blind magazine, and the man making them; and then added a dog knot for a handle. It also lost everything that made a Fieldcraft a good rifle- full length bedding, better scope mounting, COAL mag boxes and correct twist rates, and short threaded muzzles done right.

The Wilson rifle is no different than any other R700 based aftermarket rifle. The action is a little lighter than most, but same trigger, stock, scope mounting, BDL magazine, messed up COAL/throating, stupid twist rates, longer barrels, etc.

They’ll more than likely sell rifles because Wilson has loyal customers, but it’s heavily compromised in nearly all respects.

One can only hope.
Ya, I looked at them also and was just like wtf are they doing here?

z987k

WKR
Why did the Fieldcraft disappear? Seems like they had the golden egg there and the price was nice!
I picked mine up for $1375 when they were not selling. I have no idea why they were not selling, but it wasn't like they were flying off the shelves. They would now that people have realized what they were, but they were not that popular when they were in production.

gtriple

WKR
I picked mine up for $1375 when they were not selling. I have no idea why they were not selling, but it wasn't like they were flying off the shelves. They would now that people have realized what they were, but they were not that popular when they were in production.
Same reason why Tikkas used to go for a lot less..........

Rokslide hadn't hyped them up yet! :ROFLMAO:

RS3579

WKR
I bought a used fieldcraft 308 cal for $900, and sold for $1300 1 month later.

z987k

WKR
I bought a used fieldcraft 308 cal for $900, and sold for $1300 1 month later.
I was looking for another one in 7-08 before the price went nuts. I can more or less build a field craft from semi-custom for less than they sell for on gb.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Barrett said that they were too busy filling government contacts to justify keeping the Fieldcraft in production.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
The S/A FC is easily the best over the counter Killing Rifle,ever offered................

Choupique

WKR
Man I hate myself for not buying a real NULA back when I was a single man with a wad of money in a zip lock bag and Melvin was building them.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
The S/A FC is easily the best over the counter Killing Rifle,ever offered................

I had a Howa Alpine that I liked quite a bit but then after buying a Fieldcraft there was no going back. That's not to disparage the Alpine it's just that a Fieldcraft is that much nicer.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
Mel very obviously set THE bar and knocked it out of the park. Others tried and botched same badly.

Ronnie muchly exceeded Mel's efforts,by using a S/S receiver and the (5) 8x40 base fasteners. Then kept th ball rolling mechanicall,by nailing RPM/COAL/Throat Geometry.

The proposed newest efforts post FC,are amazingly and horribly botched,mechanically.

'Tis a shame.

I shoot a pile of Howie's and am sweetest on the Mini's in both OEM(6 ARC's and Grendel) and Custom (22PPC AFI) guise. Go Jefferson Outdoors V2 BDL bottom there and you reap much improved COAL,a vastly superior bottom metal,for exceptional rugged/reliability and fastener TQ consistency. I lament there being no Stainless offerings Stateside. The Carbon handles are crazy good.

As their longer receiver offerings go,they tend to be sound in S/A,but L/A's are rather tire in COAL Again,there needs to be Stainless there too...............

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Ronnie muchly exceeded Mel's efforts,by using a S/S receiver and the (5) 8x40 base fasteners. Then kept th ball rolling mechanicall,by nailing RPM/COAL/Throat Geometry.

Did you find throat geometry to better in Fieldcraft than ULA/NULA?

Mel would use whatever twist the customer asked for but of course had his sort of go-to twists for various chamberings. I would say he tended to lean toward faster twist but may have settled on his general recommendations some years back, before a lot of the high bc options were available.

One of my favorite improvements in Fieldcraft has to be the cutout in the rear of the receiver for the cocking piece. Only trigger I've found to work in my NULA aside from Mel's is Triggertech but every rem 700 I've tried in Fieldcraft works. Maybe moot given that Fieldcraft shipped with an excellent Timney but nice to see that change.

The rear of the receiver is different on a ULA/NULA/Forbes vs a Fieldcraft too. Mel machined his down such that the rear base is thicker than the front. On a Fieldcraft they're the same height.

A guy I know bought this 24B. He took it on a trade thinking he might cut it down and use it. He never shot it and wanted to free up some cash. I offered a G20 and $$. Now its sitting in my collection not getting used. It is a sweet rifle and I always liked the '06.
Honest question: what would you pay for a mint 24B ?IMG_9172.JPGIMG_9175.JPG

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
A blued receiver,blued barrel,with trite COAL,is a TOUGH sell.

Easy pass,in all regards..............

I've seen several very clean ones on GB over the last couple years going going in the 800-900 range. I think a lot of folks would buy them and send them to Melvin to get a near Nula at a cheaper price. Not sure if his shop is still upgrading the old Forbes and Colt Lights or not...

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
Colt Light Rifles go for that,because they are L/A and horribly curtailed in COAL.................