Fencing a large property boundry

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Well with the average lot size in the US being less than 0.4 of an acre i would think so.

But if you think its small, do you want to come drive some fence posts with me?
Not sure where you are located, but you can probably hire it done, go to work and be money ahead. In my neck of the woods fence building doesn't pay very well. If you can trade 1 hour of your wage for 3 hours of fence building, you are money and time ahead.

A lot of fencing will work. Just pick what you like.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Not sure where you are located, but you can probably hire it done, go to work and be money ahead. In my neck of the woods fence building doesn't pay very well. If you can trade 1 hour of your wage for 3 hours of fence building, you are money and time ahead.

I agree on hire it out , equipment buy or rent cost , materials cost are fixed
I use RED brand wire , pipe H brasing with welded caps IMG_0833.png

FYI, I steer people away from the soft wire products.

They don't hold a candle to the HT fence wire options.

If doing a woven, screw a hinge joint. Do a solid vertical stay wire that's tied to the horizontals.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I looked at fencing in 10 acres at my place. 5 strand barbed wire. It was going to cost me minimum of ~$7,000 and that was doing the work myself.

Also, that was 4 years ago. Today I bet it would cost at least $10,000.
I have it figured that ill be spending 10k on the perimeter fence. Thats with self performing the job.

Looks like it will atleast double the cost if I hire it out. And I like doing things myself anyway. If I do the work on my days off I'm not losing any money.

I think what I will do is do a 5 strand wire fence around the entire perimeter. Then field fence off certain areas for our horses, dogs, chickens, etc... the dogs and horses don't need the run of 20 acres really. And if the yotes get past the property line they will be shot.

I have it figured that ill be spending 10k on the perimeter fence. Thats with self performing the job.

Looks like it will atleast double the cost if I hire it out. And I like doing things myself anyway. If I do the work on my days off I'm not losing any money.

I think what I will do is do a 5 strand wire fence around the entire perimeter. Then field fence off certain areas for our horses, dogs, chickens, etc... the dogs and horses don't need the run of 20 acres really. And if the yotes get past the property line they will be shot.

Smooth wire can be very hard on horses. They need to be introduced to it, so they understand it. If they run into it, it will cut like a razor. It's not good for high strung horses that react before they think.

Might look at some of the coated HT for a top strand to increase visibility.

Reactions: WKR
I have had a 4 strand barbwire fence for 45 years with no cuts on any of my ponies. The key word is tight. They might lean on it for grass but treat it with respect.

I have found that 5 wire tends to hang up elk calves. On some of mine I have even gone to three wire for the elk calves.

Well with the average lot size in the US being less than 0.4 of an acre i would think so.

But if you think its small, do you want to come drive some fence posts with me?
Yeah, that dude needs a reality check. My house is on a 6k sqft lot and that’s the biggest I could afford on the front range in CO. Feels like every new build out west is on a micro lot. Hate it. I’d fall over dead from excitement for 20 acres.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Tame horses--almost anything will work. Tpost every 30' with a single strand of HT electric would do it.

Tame dogs--train them to not run away? Every dog we've had roamed free their whole lives and they never get lost. Closest neighbors are a mile though and we're not close to any highways

Wild dogs/coyotes--yard dogs and/or shooting on sight is extremely effective, and I'd never consider a fence to be a practical deterrent

Wild horses--not sure. Depends on how wild and horny they are (and your horses are). The sky is the limit, but I'd be pretty confidant they wouldn't mess around with electric fence twice.

TLDR
If looks aren't important, two strands of electrified HT around the whole property (one at 18" and one around chest height) would be my go-to. Its super easy, inexpensive, and effective.

Then a small pen closer to house with the horse panels (or wood for the cool factor)

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Tame horses--almost anything will work. Tpost every 30' with a single strand of HT electric would do it.

Tame dogs--train them to not run away? Every dog we've had roamed free their whole lives and they never get lost. Closest neighbors are a mile though and we're not close to any highways

Wild dogs/coyotes--yard dogs and/or shooting on sight is extremely effective, and I'd never consider a fence to be a practical deterrent

Wild horses--not sure. Depends on how wild and horny they are (and your horses are). The sky is the limit, but I'd be pretty confidant they wouldn't mess around with electric fence twice.

TLDR
If looks aren't important, two strands of electrified HT around the whole property (one at 18" and one around chest height) would be my go-to. Its super easy, inexpensive, and effective.

Then a small pen closer to house with the horse panels (or wood for the cool factor)
The dogs are already trained and won't try to dig under a field fence. The horses are also used to fence.

We only have one dry mare, and dont plan on ever getting another mare so I dont think the wild stallions will try that hard to get past the wire.

But like I said strand perimeter and field fence sections seems like the most logical plan for now

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My wire prices haven't changed a bunch.

It took a good while for post prices to go up, when lumber was going crazy, but they finally got up there. And have mostly stayed.

Our last order had a significant price jump with 2 7/8" x 24' Imp FW Galv Pipe at 5.82 a ft.

The last fence I had to build, I had to start each t-post 5-6 times to find a crack in bedrock. Where there are willows all of the t-posts had to be replaced with 6" wood. The moose don't care about fences or anything. When it hits -40 they break the t-posts off at ground level. I have been woken up at 3:00 in the morning because they were eating the grass next to the dog pen and the dogs were voicing their opinion.