Utah OTC bison drama?

sawatch

FNG
I was looking at the OTC (Hunt# BI6525) Bison hunt that Utah has over in nine-mile, and is sounds like there was a bunch of drama? Was curious if folks knew what was going on. Some threads said the tribe had built a fence, or was actively hazing the animals back onto the reservation...however a news search revealed nothing credible. Anyone know what happened? Keep it respectful please, not looking to turn this thread into a "cowboys vs indians" thread...just trying to decide if I want to keep putting in for limited bison or take the chance with OTC. Harvest data looks really low regardless.

I was looking at the OTC (Hunt# BI6525) Bison hunt that Utah has over in nine-mile, and is sounds like there was a bunch of drama? Was curious if folks knew what was going on. Some threads said the tribe had built a fence, or was actively hazing the animals back onto the reservation...however a news search revealed nothing credible. Anyone know what happened? Keep it respectful please, not looking to turn this thread into a "cowboys vs indians" thread...just trying to decide if I want to keep putting in for limited bison or take the chance with OTC. Harvest data looks really low regardless.
There's not any real drama, unless there were some heated discussions between the reservation and the DWR that we aren't privy to. However, the whole reason for that OTC bison tag is to try to put those bison back over onto the reservation, because the DWR does not want them west of desolation canyon. The reservation was supposed to put up a fence, but they refused or failed to do that for a long time, then the DWR open this hunt, and I think I read recently that the tribe is actually or did actually put up a fence finally.

The harvest rate was awesome the first year, and after that it dropped like a rock. I think those bison figured out where to hide from folks in that area. It's an extremely hard area to access and get to where the bison like to hang out, unless you're able to take horses in a really long way. If you have the means to get in there, find them, and get one out, it could be a good opportunity but I think it's a lot harder than many people think.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will counter with this-- you can keep hunting OTC until you kill one just have to keep buying the tag.

Simple fact is most people currently applying for a Henry mountain bull will NEVER draw.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
I will counter with this-- you can keep hunting OTC until you kill one just have to keep buying the tag.

Simple fact is most people currently applying for a Henry mountain bull will NEVER draw.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Did they change the ruling on that? When the otc hunt opened in 2020 the deal was, you lose your business points, and you can never buy or apply for another bison permit again.

Did they change the ruling on that? When the otc hunt opened in 2020 the deal was, you lose your business points, and you can never buy or apply for another bison permit again.

That is true for the lottery tags/units, but even in 2020 the rule was that you could continue buying the OTC tag every year.

2five7

WKR
That is true for the lottery tags/units, but even in 2020 the rule was that you could continue buying the OTC tag every year.
Gotcha. Once you buy an OTC tag, no more applying for the OIL tag, but you can keep buying OTC as long as they keep that hunt going.