Feeding dogs wild game

wesfromky

WKR
I usually dehydrate the livers and hearts for dog treat, and give them a bit of trim as i am working.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I trim dirty, bloodshot or otherwise compromised meat in the field before I pack the animal out. Virtually everything that is left and not high quality for human consumption goes to the dog pile which is vacuum sealed in about 1.5 lb bags for year round consumption by the dog. I also keep deer and elk leg bones for the dog.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta say it really chaps my ass when people feed their dogs good wild game meat. I give my dogs scraps and bones but to kill an animal and give it to dogs just seems really disrespectful to me. That said, I struggle finding any real justification for why I feel that way so I can't really argue with folks that do it.

me too, but I guess it’s their meat.

and yes I always feed the trim to the dog. However I’ve learned to not give it too much at once, especially when you first start feeding it. It can really upset their systems and make a hell of a mess if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
My sweet dog is 14 and is on her last legs. The vet said she was done this spring but she is still kicking. I put every single piece of scrap I would have thrown out into a pan and cooked it down. It is almost all fat and silver skin. I put all of the meaty scraps in ziplock bags and store them in the freezer. I filled up two big mason jars with fat left from cooking the scraps on my last mule deer. I only have a jar and change of deer fat left. My dog has never had a good appetite, and had practically quit eating before hunting season. She is always down for game scraps, and I swear that is what has kept her alive so long. Cook them up next time and your dog will thank you. Don’t do raw. The last time I did that my dogs got worms.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've ground the trim that isn't good enough for the human grind pile. Went as far as mixing in some steamed veggies when running it through the grinder. I don't even have a dog, but my girlfriend's dog loves it, brothers dog loves it. I did have a friends dog who didn't know what to do with it, they said he tried to roll in it...

I've also dehydrated the liver before for treats, and he loves chewing bones.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deer and elk burger with white rice greatly improved the quality of life for one of dogs with health issues. But no I would never take an animal solely to feed my dog.

Dinger

WKR
Our dogs eat a lot of venison, I get to hunt a fair few animals each year so I'm fairly picky about what gets ground and trim with extreme prejudice. I will knock over Kangaroo's (very similar to venison, lean with little or no intra-muscular fat) from time time time for the sole purpose of feeding the dogs.....10 or 15 roo's keep our little pack with full belly's for sometime.

2ski

WKR
We cut up my buddy's whitetail a few weeks ago. His golden lost her mind. When the deer was first hung, she didn't know what to think of it and was a little scared. Then she discovered the bits of fat that fell to the ground. Those were all cleaned up. Then she discovered the pile of stuff we trimmed off to be thrown away that we had sitting on the hide. Then she discovered this tubs of meat we had on the ground and would sneak a chunk. Then she would lose her mind when she got put inside and the cycle would continue when she was let back out. She ate alot of meat that day. No issues to my knowledge. His brother's dog ate a little bit in the short time he was there. And that dog had some diarrhea the next day.

I'll have to suggest we freeze it next year for a treat for the Golden.

I bag all my scraps raw including fat and all in sandwich bags and freeze them. I pull one out per dog once or twice a week depending on how much I have as a supplement to kibble. Those dogs are never more thrilled to eat.

LostArra

WKR
My dogs get cooked trim and scraps, silver skin, tendons whatever.
Fed as treats or on their food
I don't put a lot of thought into it. Considering both dogs will occasionally eat deer turds in the woods I don't think they are too particular about their venison. They like their elk and venison scraps almost as much as fried pork skins which are the gold standard for getting my dogs to mind.