Feedback on Preferred Barrel Hybrid Lite for Tikka T3x Lite

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got my FL die set up to bump the shoulder so the bolt handle drops without resistance (with the firing pin and ejector removed), it sizes the brass fully and it chambers fine. I wanted to validate if the fired brass that chambered stiffly was rubbing near the 0.2" line so I marked up a case and inserted it, turns out the 0.2" line is not making contact but rather it appears the mid body of the brass is making alot of contact.

Anyone run into this before? I would assume this is more a case of a chamber needing some polishing since the brass isn't out of spec?

2AHkkn7l.jpg

Harvey_NW

WKR
Got my FL die set up to bump the shoulder so the bolt handle drops without resistance (with the firing pin and ejector removed), it sizes the brass fully and it chambers fine. I wanted to validate if the fired brass that chambered stiffly was rubbing near the 0.2" line so I marked up a case and inserted it, turns out the 0.2" line is not making contact but rather it appears the mid body of the brass is making alot of contact.

Anyone run into this before? I would assume this is more a case of a chamber needing some polishing since the brass isn't out of spec?
Hate to beat a dead horse but it really seems evident that your chamber is under spec and you have interfering tolerances. I'd be willing to bet if you fire the sized brass with the same load you'll experience clickers at the least, or stick a case. I'm shooting Peterson in my rifle as well and as I said earlier, after having it cleaned up the fired brass flies in and out now.

If PBB won't address it, give Kinport Peak Rifles a call and he can usually get something easy like that cycled in pretty quick if you need it back. Feel free to tell him I referred you.
received_1066340941282331.jpeg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hate to beat a dead horse but it really seems evident that your chamber is under spec and you have interfering tolerances. I'd be willing to bet if you fire the sized brass with the same load you'll experience clickers at the least, or stick a case. I'm shooting Peterson in my rifle as well and as I said earlier, after having it cleaned up the fired brass flies in and out now.

If PBB won't address it, give Kinport Peak Rifles a call and he can usually get something easy like that cycled in pretty quick if you need it back. Feel free to tell him I referred you.
View attachment 753792
I reached out to PBB once I realized it was contacting mid body like that. I just posted here too for outsider knowledge depending on what I hear back from them. Was your 284win a PBB? I saw you reference a 25creed from PBB earlier but not the 284win directly.

That photo is what Kinport reamed out of the chamber?

Harvey_NW

WKR
I reached out to PBB once I realized it was contacting mid body like that. I just posted here too for outsider knowledge depending on what I hear back from them. Was your 284win a PBB? I saw you reference a 25creed from PBB earlier but not the 284win directly.
It was not, I'll refrain from name dropping who originally did it and give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was a misunderstanding.. My 25 Creed is my only PBB and that was overall a great experience.

That photo is what Kinport reamed out of the chamber?
Correct.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider

2AHkkn7l.jpg
Tried the same with mine and got similar results, the date on my invoice was 5/20/24 I assume they were cut with the same reamer.20240821_120437.jpg

Not uncommon to have chamber/brass/die combos not play well together. Seems to not be a one off with peterson 284 brass.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Not uncommon to have chamber/brass/die combos not play well together. Seems to not be a one off with peterson 284 brass.
Right, but it sounds like much of it is with reamers being a bit tight in the rear that Lapua would play nice with but peterson doesn't, to continue to use the Peterson (only name in the game right now) folks either small base resize the brass or have the chamber reamed a tad larger.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Chatted back and forth with PBB a bit, long story short they said if I would like they'll polish the chamber. Short term I have a hunt and will get a little more shooting in with fully sized reloads (I'll load some 0.5gr lighter too and evaluate the feel) and go from there.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Anyone order one with the 6.5prc alpha reamer?
Those Alpha reamers are dialed in, a gunsmith I use really likes them. But I would double check the dimensions and see if they're in line with the AW2, if they're SAAMI at the tail you would probably still get clickers after a couple firings.