Feedback on Preferred Barrel Hybrid Lite for Tikka T3x Lite

Harvey_NW

WKR
19", 162ELDM, 3.131 coal, WLR, 52.2gr H4350. Peterson brass.

I will note that I am getting light clickers on the first firing but I didn't FL size the virgin brass so not gonna get too concerned just yet on that front till I set up the die for a proper shoulder bump now and see how things run.
You might measure the base at the .2" line and make sure your chamber is in spec, I stuck a case first shot in my new 284 with a light load because the tail of the chamber was under spec from a worn reamer. Had to send it off to a different smith to be cleaned it up, now 52.4gr H4350 has zero pressure signs and shot brass flies in and out.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You might measure the base at the .2" line and make sure your chamber is in spec, I stuck a case first shot in my new 284 with a light load because the tail of the chamber was under spec from a worn reamer. Had to send it off to a different smith to be cleaned it up, now 52.4gr H4350 has zero pressure signs and shot brass flies in and out.
If I have issues after cleaning the chamber and sizing the brass I planned to check that. Is the 52.4gr H4350 with the 162?

Harvey_NW

WKR
If I have issues after cleaning the chamber and sizing the brass I planned to check that. Is the 52.4gr H4350 with the 162?
Was with a 165 TGK, but I'll be redoing that load with 162 at some point. IIRC bearing surfaces are very similar when I was calculating measurements so I would expect very similar results. I guess that's important too, my chamber is not SAAMI. I had it throated for those bullets to jump around .040".

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Was with a 165 TGK, but I'll be redoing that load with 162 at some point. IIRC bearing surfaces are very similar when I was calculating measurements so I would expect very similar results. I guess that's important too, my chamber is not SAAMI. I had it throated for those bullets to jump around .040".
Mine is supposedly sammi reamer, at 3.131 my jump is 0.050".

Did you guys with the PBB 6 creed barrels go with the alpha reamer or the standard SAAMI spec reamer? I'm guessing the increased freebore on the alpha reamer allows for seating the heavier 6mm bullets further out but not sure why the difference in neck diameter?

Also wondered how many people are picking the hand-lapping option?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have one at the gunsmith right now.

6mm creed - 22" 5/8x24 thread on it. It weighed 43oz.

He's cerakoting the barrel, action and bedding it in a Stockys stock right now. I hope to have it back in a few weeks.

Overall impressions of the barrel were good! Excited to get some lead down range.

I'll report back and post up some pics when I have it back.
Just bought a tikka super lite in .308 to start down this same path! Any clue what your total weight will look like with the finished product?

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Was it virgin brass or did you FL size it first?

I'll find out soon enough after I size this stuff and reload another batch. Worst case I back off 1/2gr as noted. This is the first caliber I've come up against clickers rather than flat primers, ejector marks, hard bolt lift. It also was in the 80F range when I was shooting these so probably will tame down a lil in cooler weather.

My ladder was
49: 2578
50:2603
51: 2654
51.5: 2992
52: 2719
52.5: 2732
53: 2784

I did 5 shots a 52gr first but had a fairly large ES, then did 5shots at 52.2gr and it settled in better so I loaded some more and shot the 10shot group and some distance work.
Yes virgin brass, all I did was debut and load

I'll find out soon enough after I size this stuff and reload another batch. Worst case I back off 1/2gr as noted. This is the first caliber I've come up against clickers rather than flat primers, ejector marks, hard bolt lift. It also was in the 80F range when I was shooting these so probably will tame down a lil in cooler weather.

My ladder was

I did 5 shots a 52gr first but had a fairly large ES, then did 5shots at 52.2gr and it settled in better so I loaded some more and shot the 10shot group and some distance work.
Virgin brass

TheViking

WKR
Just bought a tikka super lite in .308 to start down this same path! Any clue what your total weight will look like with the finished product?

Yup! This is without scope and rings.

Shoots decent too ;-)

104f6f331955ddad1907708dae7e3558.jpg

1616a951c5c9b5b8ba5b9b8ddcf9d7d6.jpg

Hnthrdr

WKR
Did you guys with the PBB 6 creed barrels go with the alpha reamer or the standard SAAMI spec reamer? I'm guessing the increased freebore on the alpha reamer allows for seating the heavier 6mm bullets further out but not sure why the difference in neck diameter?

Same boat, I’ll be strictly box ammo for now and the foreseeable future, had these two questions as well thanks for asking

I went with SAAMI as almost ever 6cm I’ve had or seen shot factory 108 eldm ammo very well. I’m loading to SAAMI coal with 41gr of H4350 and the 108. 20” barrel averaging 2950 with about 100 rounds down the barrel. This was my last 10 round group with that load.
IMG_5478.jpeg
Non lapped

HGL

FNG

My ladder was

Sounds like clickers on Peterson .284 brass if not uncommon. There are a few threads on this subject at accurate shooter.

Small base die may help, or trying a different brand of brass (easier said than done I know). I'm not bashing peterson, as I use it in 6mm creed, but a change in brass/die may help.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds like clickers on Peterson .284 brass if not uncommon. There are a few threads on this subject at accurate shooter.

Small base die may help, or trying a different brand of brass (easier said than done I know). I'm not bashing peterson, as I use it in 6mm creed, but a change in brass/die may help.
I'll check the link out.

I don't really think its a peterson issue though. The .2 line on the brass is .4990 on their virgin brass and fired in the PPB chamber its .4995-.5000. The sammi size for brass is .5000 so the brass isn't over spec before or after firing. The sammi drawing for the chamber at the .200 line is .5010. Being that the fired brass reinserted into the chamber is sticky still (at .5000) that points to the PBB chamber being tight in the rear (IE not peterson's fault). But being I've not FL sized the brass and tried it yet I wasn't going to say the PBB chamber is an issue or not for me because if a FL die takes care of it then its not really an issue.

Reactions: HGL

Harvey_NW

WKR
I don't really think its a peterson issue though. The .2 line on the brass is .4990 on their virgin brass and fired in the PPB chamber its .4995-.5000. The sammi size for brass is .5000 so the brass isn't over spec before or after firing. The sammi drawing for the chamber at the .200 line is .5010. Being that the fired brass reinserted into the chamber is sticky still (at .5000) that points to the PBB chamber being tight in the rear (IE not peterson's fault). But being I've not FL sized the brass and tried it yet I wasn't going to say the PBB chamber is an issue or not for me because if a FL die takes care of it then its not really an issue.
Technically that measurement needs to be taken with a blade mic and a precise spacer, but if you're getting resistance on close and are consistently resolving .5000" with calipers I would suspect it's under spec. Even .5010" is minimum, +.002" to still be in tolerance. While the sizing die may or may not fix it for a firing or two, you'll likely still have to deal with clickers on subsequent firings.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Technically that measurement needs to be taken with a blade mic and a precise spacer, but if you're getting resistance on close and are consistently resolving .5000" with calipers I would suspect it's under spec. Even .5010" is minimum, +.002" to still be in tolerance. While the sizing die may or may not fix it for a firing or two, you'll likely still have to deal with clickers on subsequent firings.
Keep in mind everything I have noted has been with virgin brass that hasn't been resized at all. Yes I suspect the chamber is under spec but I'd like to see what the measurement is after FL sizing and also after firing these FL sized pieces of brass. If I could easily shoot at home I'd have played around with all this already but it'll be a little bit before I can report back on it.

The Alpha reamer appears to have SAAMI spec freebore (0.183")