Favorite smoked salmon recipe.

bairdi

FNG
My favorite by far is just simple salmon strips. Its more of a cold smoke/dried fish. They hold well in the freezer or fridge and make for great trail snacks in the winter on the trapline or ice fishing. They more oil in the fish, the better it is. Pretty simple to make too. Cut fillets into appropriately sized strips, mine are around 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch wide. Mix up the brine, which is just salt and water in a 5 gallon bucket. Add enough salt that it will float a potato. Soak in the brine for 20 mins, no more, no less. Pull the strips out of the brine. Hang individual strips from the racks using cotton cooking twine or balance the strips on the racks. Or what I do is when cutting the strips before brining, leave each 2 strips connected at one end by making every other long length wise cut down the fillet an inch or so short and when I go to hang them drape them over the rack at the connected spot. Then the strips hang in the smoke house and get a a batch of smoke 2-4 times a day. Keep at it until the strips are to your desired level of dryness. I prefer mine to be similar consistency as jerky. These travel really well, don't really freeze solid in cold temps and always seem to taste good, no matter how cold or tired I am. Usually make a large batch, 6-12 fish worth depending on fish size if they are kings, reds, or chums.

Towhee

FNG
Tagging this for future reference. Awesome recipes everyone, thanks for sharing!