Smoked elk/venison recipe

Pretty simple smoked/baked game recipe. My favorite way to use cuts from elk/deer that are not tender enough for a steak and not enough connective tissue for a good slow cook. It is delicious and goes very fast.

Smoked venison/elk

Recipe below for 10lbs of meat

1 gallon water

2 T celery juice powder.

1 cup salt

1 1/4 cup maple syrup

Mix 1/2 gal of water and rest of ingredients. Heat on stove until salt is dissolved.

Add 1/2 gallon of cold water then chill mixture.

Trim meat and cut to strips no more than 2” thick. puncture meat with fork then add meat to brine. Put in fridge for 10-14 days, rotating meat daily (or as often as you can remember). Remove from brine, rinse, pat dry slightly then coat with 6 T black pepper (or to taste), 1 t onion powder, and 2 t garlic powder. Smoke at 225 hours with bowl of water in smoker until 160+ internal temp. If no smoker, Put meat in a roasting pan with 1" water and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 250 degrees until internal temp reaches

165 degrees.

(To make this a pastrami, add 3 T picking spice to the brine and add 2t ground coriander in the rub prior to smoking)

First 2 pics are elk, last 2 venison

Attachments

• IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5764.jpeg
    IMG_5764.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 18

BLJ

WKR
What cut off is the deer meat?
I’m not a butcher, but is that the ball shaped piece from the rear quarter? Thanks.

OP
WI-Carcosa
For the deer I use the top round, bottom round, and the whole sirloin for smoking cuts. I believe the cut you mention I s from the sirloin which is the ball shaped part of the rear ham. I can’t exactly remember from the photos as I trim them and cut them smaller so they get a better and more even brine.

Reactions: BLJ
OP
WI-Carcosa
Bear sounds awesome! If you get one please share how it turns out. The Recipe is major crowd pleaser with deer including those that claim to not like wild game. Good luck this spring

AK EricB

FNG