Favorite smoked salmon recipe.

Shraggs

WKR
What smokers are you all using that gets you as low as 120?

My green egg I can hold around 190, the pellet is 250…

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
What smokers are you all using that gets you as low as 120?

My green egg I can hold around 190, the pellet is 250…
I struggle with 120, but their are a good handful of hacks that make it achievable to keep things under 170. With the pellet grill your hopper runs x amount of seconds for every minute, so if you allow heat to escape (which unfortunately allows the smokes to also) you can control temp. Simply Crack the lid open with something. One reason why I don't smoke many things that require long periods of time/low temps on the pellet grill. Probably a ton more cheat codes for pellet grills I do not know also.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the opinion that there 2 types of smokers. 1 for fish and 1 for all the rest. Big Chief smokers are the best fish smokers. And by best I mean that they are the easiest and consistent.

Any tips for pellicle formation in the winter? I have a hard time even with a fan getting a pellicle in low temps.

And bringing it into the house isn’t a option, it will rule the place through the nose for days.

P

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I just happen to have a bunch of sockeye salmon in the freezer that I would enjoy smoking. So thanks for the recipes folks. And the reminder to get some salmon smoked

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I just happen to have a bunch of sockeye salmon in the freezer that I would enjoy smoking. So thanks for the recipes folks. And the reminder to get some salmon smoked
Post up a pic when done! Sockeye is definitely my favorite to smoke. With how rich the red is in them it makes some awesome looking smoked fish.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Any tips for pellicle formation in the winter? I have a hard time even with a fan getting a pellicle in low temps.

And bringing it into the house isn’t a option, it will rule the place through the nose for days.

P
I do it in the house and don't have issues with the smell. After you pull it from the brine it shouldn't be that smelly. Some people's nose can be super sensitive to that though.

I guess I'm just too plain but I do small pieces (2" max width) just straight hickory or mesquite ... 180 for 2 hours. No brine or anything like that. Too much extra stuff can overpower the taste of the fish IMO. Maybe have a little cream cheese on the side

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Crow, nothing wrong with keeping it simple. When I pressure can salmon that's usually all I do. Smoke a few hours and jam into jars.

WRO

WKR
50/50 rock salt and brown sugar, cover for 2 hours, rinse, smoke, and baste with honey halfway through. I also add cracked pepper to it.

P
Do you have a shop or garage?

Backyard

WKR

P

What are your steps prior to this point? Are you soaking in brine? How long? What is your brine recipe? Do you pat it dry after brining? And what do you consider low temperature? Below freezing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your steps prior to this point? Are you soaking in brine? How long? What is your brine recipe? Do you pat it dry after brining? And what do you consider low temperature? Below freezing?

Post #7 for my brine.

Yes to pat dry.

Low temp below 50 F.

Elk97

WKR
I basically use the OPs recipe if I'm making salmon candy and it's excellent. For just smoked I use the same but no maple at all. Even pinks turn out good, but Chinook or Sockeye are the best.

Could you use a small heater to get it above freezing? Even if you put the salmon a little bit in front of it with a fan.

I appreciate the suggestions but I’m trying to figure out a way to form a pellicle, outside, without heat.

If it’s a no, then I need to do a better job with my timing. Smoked salmon freezes fine.

Or is a pellicle a deal-breaker? Some people won’t smoke without one, for others it’s better, but not mandatory.

P

I appreciate the suggestions but I’m trying to figure out a way to form a pellicle, outside, without heat.

If it’s a no, then I need to do a better job with my timing. Smoked salmon freezes fine.

Or is a pellicle a deal-breaker? Some people won’t smoke without one, for others it’s better, but not mandatory.

P
I don't think it's a deal breaker...

And in my house the garage and especially the shop count as outside. Lol

Backyard

WKR

P

The drying/pellicle forming step is done in cool air (50 degrees is perfect) with a breeze. It takes about 2-4 hours to form a sticky glaze on the meat. The glaze helps to hold the smoke flavors during the first stages of the smoking process.
I’ve even put my fish on a rack in the fridge with a small fan inside when its too warm outside to put them in the fresh air on the deck.