Favorite mtn rifle scope under 2k

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Got a Weatherby Backcountry Ti headed my way soon and want to put a nice lightweight (Illuminated) scope on it. The budget is up to $2k. What would you recommend? (thinking something in the x42 or x44 for weight purposes).

Will be getting a cds, bt type system so the vertical hashmarks are not hyper critical, but I do like a windplex type reticle.

Loper

WKR
You could get the Rokslide Special and put the money saved towards ammo, other gear or a hunt.

OP
mitchparker1980

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider

Not the lightest but seems promising. Big objective to gather light and it’s in a nice small package.
Would be one heckeva scope for a deer stand rifle, but quite a bit too heavy for my "dream" lightweight mountain rifle.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Would be one heckeva scope for a deer stand rifle, but quite a bit too heavy for my "dream" lightweight mountain rifle.
holy crap that's heavy, totally agree. SFP or FFP, mil or MOA on reticle? After looking at Mils, it isn't that hard (for me) and FFP seems to make sense. Getting a good reticle for hunting is tough though.

For what it is worth, I am on this exact "quest" right now, and not enthused with where it leads.

Currently on here, people are either in two camps it seems.....
1) "with" drop testing.
2) skeptical about drop testing.

If you are taking the drop testing seriously (I find it hard not to, there's no agenda there apart from identifying good optics you can trust) - that's NF, Trijicon, SWFA, and ?? that are generally acceptable. For durable/light, the NXS 2.5-10x42 comes up a lot as ideal - I wish they had a 3-15 under 25 oz or so in that same build.......just for punching paper.

Untested: March makes a lot of good stuff that seems to fit - eclipses that $2K point pretty quick, with the 3-24x42 as close as you can get.

If you are not taking drop testing seriously, which many people will chime in that they do not, you're looking at Leupold VX-5/6HD, the Razor LHT series, Ziess V4/6, etc. Swaro Z series is nice but super limited in travel with the 1" tubes. Anything Luepold apparantly will fail, from a lot of what you read on here.

ALL of that said - I'm just read a lot about this stuff, I have not dropped any rifles etc. After the past 12 months of scope stuff on here, the cliff notes version is suprisingly easy to regurgitate - that doesn't make it fact though.

Antares

WKR
SWFA 3-9 or 3-15. They aren’t exactly lightweight, but are durable and hold zero. As of yesterday the 3-15 was on sale for $450. I haven’t checked today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the "Rokslide Special" is an SWFA 6x42mm w/ Mil-Quad reticle.

Choupique

WKR
Hey all,
Got a Weatherby Backcountry Ti headed my way soon and want to put a nice lightweight (Illuminated) scope on it. The budget is up to $2k. What would you recommend? (thinking something in the x42 or x44 for weight purposes).

Will be getting a cds, bt type system so the vertical hashmarks are not hyper critical, but I do like a windplex type reticle.

With that budget you can get a good nightforce, or an SWFA and spend the leftover money on ammo...

I've had great luck with leupold 2.5-8x32 and that's still my go-to general purpose hunting scope. I've had them hold zero on heavy recoil rifles year after year and I trust those. Otherwise, this place has scared me away from leupold.

Samson7x

WKR
I’m in the same boat and have decided on nxs 2.5

Had a vortex AMG that survived a real world drop test and loved it, just wanted something lower than 6x.

Also have a mk5 3-18 on one rifle and I like it a lot, just wanting something a little lighter.

prm

WKR
NF NXS 2.5-10x42. Been through a lot of scopes; this is the one I've settled on and trust for a true hard-use mountain rifle.

Nice scope. If they made it in an FFP with a good hunting reticle it would be my choice for sure.