Favorite mid layer hoodie

My Kelvin active hoody arrived yesterday and man I’m so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried it. First impression is awesome. Fits good and was surprisingly warmer then I thought compared to the likes of a Strongfleece 260. I will demo out breathability on a hike today.

It was pretty obvious the breathability will be good as you could see light through it when holding up to light. This is lighter then my fleece mid layer and warmer. It’s more technical than a fleece midlayer as you can tighten the hood for precise fit and also has a hem tightener as well.

Thanks for everyone who shared there experience about pros/cons but mostly how awesome polartec alpha is.

P Carter

WKR
My Kelvin active hoody arrived yesterday and man I’m so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried it. First impression is awesome. Fits good and was surprisingly warmer then I thought compared to the likes of a Strongfleece 260. I will demo out breathability on a hike today.

It was pretty obvious the breathability will be good as you could see light through it when holding up to light. This is lighter then my fleece mid layer and warmer. It’s more technical than a fleece midlayer as you can tighten the hood for precise fit and also has a hem tightener as well.

Thanks for everyone who shared there experience about pros/cons but mostly how awesome polartec alpha is.
I picked up on off black Ovis for like 40% off, took it a few times turkey hunting, and I agree. Lighter but warmer than my fleeces, but more breathable. The fit is perfect for me; trim but not constricting. I think I’ll be ok with the short sleeves, though they’re kinda weird. Hiking in my fleeces I often pull up my sleeves anyway. Great piece, couldn’t handle full price but at the price of a good fleece I think it’s worth a try for sure.

I think it’ll replace my fleeces for September elk hunting for sure.

bradb

WKR
How are you guys liking the fit of the sitka active and what size are you using compared to other things? Maybe the jetsrream vest, its the only sitka piece I have to compare!

Last edited:
I picked up on off black Ovis for like 40% off, took it a few times turkey hunting, and I agree. Lighter but warmer than my fleeces, but more breathable. The fit is perfect for me; trim but not constricting. I think I’ll be ok with the short sleeves, though they’re kinda weird. Hiking in my fleeces I often pull up my sleeves anyway. Great piece, couldn’t handle full price but at the price of a good fleece I think it’s worth a try for sure.

I think it’ll replace my fleeces for September elk hunting for sure.
Haha yeah the $269 price tag was main reason I shied away but at 40% off it was a no brainer.

P Carter

WKR
How are you guys liking the fit of the sitka active and what size are you using compared to other things? Maybe the jetsrream vest, its the only sitka piece I have to compare!
I love the fit. It’s trim but not restrictive on me. I have a medium and I’m 5 11, 170 lbs. The best comparison I have is the Patagonia airshed pro pullover—an obscure comparison. Going on, you’re like ehhh may be too tight. But when it’s on it is trim to your body but not restrictive. Room for a baselayer and maybe a fleece, but not much else. The only other Sitka clothes I have is a core lw hoody. I wear a medium in that, and the fit is good as well. I suppose I’d order your usual Sitka size, but if you’re between size maybe go up one.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm a large in most things (very occasionally an XL) and Large in the Active hoody fit just right (5'11" 180-ish). I have the Mountain vest and it's a Large as well (several other Sitka Pieces in Large too)

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Peleton 240 has been my go-to, maybe even my favorite piece of clothing period, but last month chasing turkeys in the snow I wore the 200 non-hooded and loved it. Now I’m torn.

j33

WKR

Have you weighed it yet? The weights I've seen are higher than the Sitka website.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5’-9” 185lbs i wear a large in core Lt hoody and Kelvin active hoody
Totally off-topic (sorry) but my in-laws live in El Dorado Hills. They see more turkey and deer in their back yard on a weekday than I do in a whole season sometimes. FIL loves to give me a hard time about it, "why are they so hard for you to find there bud?" pretty funny actually! Anyway sorry for the detour just saw that's where you're from.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you weighed it yet? The weights I've seen are higher than the Sitka website.

mine in size Large weighs 9.3 oz, site says 9.7- so actually a little under- this if for the Active Hoody, not the jacket just so folks know

Reactions: j33
I can't say enough good things about the sitka heavyweight. I will still be buying a couple more pieces from kuiu and probably a few more from sitka because I love gear and love to test everythjng out... but that one is a staple for me
At 30 degrees turkey hunting last week it layered over a merino 125 t shirt was not warm enough, but at anything 45 to 50 plus it was just fine without anything extra. At 30 it was perfect for the hike in with all my gear. Threw my puffy on over it and was back to comfortable. I wish I had one in a solid color to wear daily and for pheasant hunting late season. Love the fit, love the feel.

So far only thing that bothers me about the sitka kelvin active hoody is I wish it had long sleeves. One reason is I like to tie a mid layer type piece around my waist after dropping my pack so if I get caught in a spot pinned down, weather changes, or it get late and sun goes down I can throw on my mid layer and have a little more protection and warmth besides just my base layer. Obviously this is more for early season august/sept.

archp625

WKR
Had two Sitka Heavyweight Hoodies and loved them. Went with a FL Klamath Hoody because at the time I couldn't get a solid color Sitka hoody. The Klamath was awesome minus the sleeves were so dang long. Almost took a pair of scissors to them. Instead I sold it and will have another Sitka HW Hoody delivered tomorrow.

t_carlson

WKR
Although not really a mid layer the kuiu 97 hoodie is simply amazing and everyone should own at least one of them.

Did they improve the durability any? I bought one when they first came out. After a couple days, it had snags all over in the fabric. To ebay it went...

Kelvin active hoody currently in most sizes open country for $135.00 on Camofire......

For my own use, I have had a OR Ascendant hoody (discontinued, purchased on closeout) for a couple weeks. It has a Pertex Quantum Air shell and 90 GSM Alpha Direct insulation. I used it a bit last weekend turkey hunting and initial impressions are very positive.

The OR Ascendant is a very good one. I had a Kelvin Active and it started pilling after a day or two. To ebay it went...

The Ascendant, on the other hand, has that Pertex shell like you mentioned and holds up very well. I managed to get a couple of backups from Sierra Trading post ridiculously cheap when they discontinued them.

I've used the Peloton 200 and the Sitka Heavyweight. Both are about the same insulation-wise to me.

My favorite midlayer now is another discontinued fleece, the Arcteryx Fortrex. It was made from Polartec Power Stretch (my favorite fleece material) with a little bit of a hardface and an integrated neck gaiter. The hoods on both Kuiu and Sitka are a little tight when I turn my head, which can be annoyingly uncomfortable. I stockpiled a few extra Fortrezes when they went away, too.

Arcteryx, on the other hand, puts a little more length in the arms and hood for unrestricted movement when climbing. Their clothing fits me WAY better, but that is likely just my body build. Sitka really needs to take a look at how Arcteryx made their integrated hoods, too. Much more comfortable. Despite the leaps and bounds hunting clothing has gone through in the last decade and a half, the mountaineering clothing is still a little bit better in many instances.

Others have mentioned the Patagonia Nano Air, which is great in colder weather, along with the Arcteryx Atom LT. The Nano Air is highly flammable, though. Story for another time....

I have a weird addiction to midlayers, especially fleece. Not sure why.

I love the peloton 200 as many have stated, but over the past 2 seasons have worn the Mtn Ops 260g Merino hoodie as a mid layer and find it to be my new favorite. Warm and dries really quick.