Favorite mid layer hoodie

xcutter

WKR
Kuiu strong fleece hybrid 260 or my Sitka Heavyweight Hoody.

The Kuiu is warmer and has a Kangaroo pocket on it. The Sitka material feels better against my skin.

I like the Sitka fanatic but just purchased the Stone Glacier Helio Hoody. No report on the SG model yet although it is thinner than the fanatic but that may be OK when its not too cold.

Tell me more. I live in the 240 from September-December. It flexes anywhere I need it, has a usable hood and is slim enough to shoot a bow and wear under outer layers. What it also does is cut the wind, and that's something most other comparable hoodies can not do. Legit DWR coating too.

But I'd like to hear why you prefer the 280 as I've never had my hands on it.

Looking forward to hearing the answer as well..

I am a fan of grid fleece. My go to are the Sitka core heavyweight and Patagonia (f#$&ing hippies). The Sitka fanatic has some hand mittens built in that you will either love or hate.

Kvan-mt

FNG
Tell me more. I live in the 240 from September-December. It flexes anywhere I need it, has a usable hood and is slim enough to shoot a bow and wear under outer layers. What it also does is cut the wind, and that's something most other comparable hoodies can not do. Legit DWR coating too.

But I'd like to hear why you prefer the 280 as I've never had my hands on it.
The 240 had been my go to for many years for all the things you've mentioned and it was one of the first items I purchased from KUIU right when they started; fit might be different in newer models. Personally I like the fit of the 280 better, the hood fits tighter and the collar when zipped all the way rides higher on my face instead of on my neck. My 240 has a little bit of restriction in the shoulders and the 280 is more fluid. I will say the DWR on the 280 is not as good as the 240; will repel a light rain or moisture from foliage but if its coming down I'll be putting on my hardshell. Wind protection, for me, feels about the same. The 280 is also quite a bit warmer, again personal opinion. The pocket design is different, sits higher on the face and makes it easier to get in and out when wearing a backpack. Both are great mid layers for a variety of temperatures.

jd1006

WKR
Under 30 degrees, I like the Patagonia Nano Air. But the Arcteryx Proton FL is really proving to be next-level.

Above 30 degrees, I like the Sitka heavyweight or the 97 Peloton. I do add a windproof vest often in these scenarios.

I think the fit on the Sitka Heavyweight is about perfect. I think the weight of the 97 Peloton is awesome.

For merino (which on multi-day trips are a must for me), I’m using the Sitka apex.

The Sitka Traverse Cold Weather Hoody is a great option for sitting still in most weather (way too warm to walk in). My truck hunting setup is that with either the WS hoody or the Jetstream.

Reactions: fey
I am curreny using SG Helio hoody and it is great but not that warm.

I’m gonna add another 2nd layer, either go back to KUIU Strongfleece 260 or Sitka Kelvin active hoody. Really liking what I’m reading about Polartec alpha insulation.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I am curreny using SG Helio hoody and it is great but not that warm.

I’m gonna add another 2nd layer, either go back to KUIU Strongfleece 260 or Sitka Kelvin active hoody. Really liking what I’m reading about Polartec alpha insulation.
Good discount on a kelvin active on GoHUNT right now

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I've been rolling with a Patagonia R1 lately. Lightweight and warm grid fleece

I can second the Kuiu Peleton 200. Super trim fit for layering on top of but warm enough to be an outer layer if the temp is at or above freezing in my experience. Works great in that 32-40 range if it isn't too windy.

woods89

WKR
Kelvin active hoody currently in most sizes open country for $135.00 on Camofire......

For my own use, I have had a OR Ascendant hoody (discontinued, purchased on closeout) for a couple weeks. It has a Pertex Quantum Air shell and 90 GSM Alpha Direct insulation. I used it a bit last weekend turkey hunting and initial impressions are very positive.