Choosing my first Tikka and looking for advice

OP
P

PaulDogs

FNG
100 yard “zero” might be a bit high?
I zeroed right before shooting at 400, so I didn't think it was high. But if something is off, that's a good idea for a place to start.

My only other guess is that maybe my front rest threw off the results. But I used the same front rest (sand bag) for the 100 and 400 yard shots. So unless I handled the rifle much differently w/o noticing, any flex on the handguard should have been consistent.

TexasHTR

FNG
I zeroed right before shooting at 400, so I didn't think it was high. But if something is off, that's a good idea for a place to start.

My only other guess is that maybe my front rest threw off the results. But I used the same front rest (sand bag) for the 100 and 400 yard shots. So unless I handled the rifle much differently w/o noticing, any flex on the handguard should have been consistent.

Also, I think 400 is a little short to velocity true. At 400 a .1 mil is like 50fps different. At 700 it’s like 10fps. Only reason I’m replying is I shoot that bullet a lot from a 16” and would love to get 2900. But my rifle would probably blow up.

Matt5266

WKR
Based on what you said, my 2 cents for what I would do in your shoes is...

Shoot your 308 a lot and get proficient with it. You are likely right that western guides are not go ing to like you using a .223 for large game whether that's true or not. I'm just saying..

Use the 308 this year and talk to them. Get a feel for what you want then decide... I'd personally just use what I have for this year and think on it more.

z987k

WKR
DRT loads factory ammunition for both the .223 (79g) and the .243, and sells the bullets separate if you handload.
Ya but they download their ammo to absolute lol levels. I can't see how anyone would shoot their "factory" ammo.
The bullets are great but drt is handload only imo.