Explain this to me

BuzzH

WKR
Nope it's really not...If you truly need assistance to get over a rough patch until you find another job you should have no problems with a drug testing to be able to recieve assistance...Chances are pretty good you will have to take a pre employment screening for that next job your trying to get.
Do some research, it's been tried and the results aren't what you expect or seem to imply.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
How do you know they have "chosen not to work"? Painting with a pretty broad brush with that statement. Sure, there are some that are, but there's plenty who aren't able. Be thankful you're neither.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well I’ve said a couple times very specifically that I’m referring to the people who have chosen not to work and are able. Not the people that can’t for whatever reason or another.

gabenzeke

WKR
I learned of this a few months back and immediately called Amazon to discuss. Long story short I cancelled my Prime membership. I've mentioned this somewhere on Rokslide before. Right or wrong, agree or disagree; my real question is: how is this not price discrimination? Want equality, charge everyone the same. Think about it, what's next? Am I going to paying more for gas and groceries than mailbox check collectors in the near future??
View attachment 398663
I agree this is messed up. But what is price discrimination? There aren't any laws that I'm aware of that would prevent something like this. And it isn't negatively impacting any protected class.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Not sure why everyone is jumping all over you. You bring up a good point.

It is price discrimination. BUT...its their choice.
They weigh the benefits of opening up a few more accounts that will bring revenue to losing a few accounts to people that find their pricing to be questionable AND do something about it like cancelling their account. Obviously they think this will bring higher shareholder value so they moved forward with it. Simple.

Congrats to you sticking to your moral compass. I am weak and will continue with my amazon account even though I disagree with this policy. I see more value in getting items that save me time and money and moved on.

To your second point about paying more for gas or groceries than mailbox check collectors...well...sorry to inform you but that is already happening. Not at the store but at a macro level.

You most likely are taxed at a higher level than the average "mailbox check collectors". Therefore the dollars you earn are watered down...or i guess at some level subsidizing their fuel purchases.

Part of your tax dollars are also paying for their groceries through EBT...so when you pay an hours worth of labor to purchase a bundle of groceries just remember part of that hour of labor is given to an EBT card holder to purchase their groceries.

I would prefer that every able bodied/minded individual go out and create value in this country. BUT I understand there are lazy weak people that will do the very minimal to survive. Our society champions this approach to the point of catastrophic failure at some point in the future...tick tick tick.

But remember...bringing these points up makes you a terrible person. This sort of thing is what the dirty evil Libertarians talk about all the time...now stop complaining and get back to work!
You seem to have a grasp of my opinion. And you bring up excellent points that I’m well aware of about the fact we already pay more for goods in way due to our watered down income through higher tax rates and our taxes funding these programs to begin with. Which is why the Amazon thing struck a cord with me for whatever reason, right or wrong in whomever’s eyes, it just has. I’m taxed to fund the programs and then the people benefiting from the programs receive additional benefits just for being on the programs. It was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for me with Amazon Prime honestly. Their video content is weak, free 2 day shipping has turned into it will show up at some point, and in a lot of cases items can be at the same or cheaper from small businesses. I still buy a few things from Amazon but not much these days. Amazon is smart, they are reaching a market segment that may have been excluding with regular prime pricing. They have eliminated the barrier of entry for a lot of folks. It’s a simple business decision on their part. If they really wanted to help those folks they would offer them fast shipping and discounted subscribe & save items at no charge at all, just not include prime video and music and all the other bells and whistles that come with a prime membership. I’m not really the mean bad guy some might think I am. 😂

I think, when I go to the market and someone pulls in, in a new luxury car, and I see them in line with food stamps, it's not to hard for me to make a determination something is mess up with the system. Don't they check these people out at all. Hell maybe I should apply.
Sometimes when my project truck/daily is down I drive dad's truck that spends a lot of time at my place.

It's a significantly cheaper truck, owned by a person with significantly more money

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Sometimes when my project truck/daily is down I drive dad's truck that spends a lot of time at my place.

It's a significantly cheaper truck, owned by a person with significantly more money
Could be the reason he has significantly more money than you. But I don't see how that works into this topic.

Djacker

WKR
I learned of this a few months back and immediately called Amazon to discuss. Long story short I cancelled my Prime membership. I've mentioned this somewhere on Rokslide before. Right or wrong, agree or disagree; my real question is: how is this not price discrimination? Want equality, charge everyone the same. Think about it, what's next? Am I going to paying more for gas and groceries than mailbox check collectors in the near future??
View attachment 398663
As someone who investigates welfare fraud for a living this pisses me off!! 80% of the cases I get result in someone committing fraud. Ibtold my wife to cancel her prime membership.

TheACGuy

FNG
I have a coworker who’s fiancé apparently breeds like a rabbit (9 kids between the two of them).. doesn’t work, drive, or contribute to society in any way that I’m aware of. If this is being offered, I’d bet my paycheck that they’re getting a discounted rate on Amazon while I’m paying full price for it lol. She gets all the help the state says she should get, while said coworker is as happy as a pig in s*** every tax season knowing they’re about to get the “big cut”.

Is it annoying watching/hearing this play out every day? Yeah, sure. I bust my ass harder than he does (I do get compensated for doing so), and my lady is grinding it out in an office 5 days a week as well so we can both pay the bills and have some fun on top. They made the choice to have all of the children they did, between them and their different baby daddies and baby mommies.. so why the heck is it up anyone else to cover their butt when they realize they Fd up and one of them doesn’t even want to apply themselves to get a DL yet alone a job? I just don’t get the whole thing..

In the end, perhaps we’re the dumb ones for paying full price rather than sitting on our butts making money. Oh well! Maybe in the next life lol.

DanimalW

WKR
My question is whether the discount is provided by Amazon at their expense which I couldn't care less about, or, is it subsidized by tax dollars? If it's subsidized, I have a real problem with it as we all should.
Doubt it’s subsidized by tax dollars, but definitely paid for by Amazon’s other customers. Prime membership increased this year for everyone else.

By Squirrel- For me personally, that would depend on the reason.

BUT WHY do you care how a business sets it's pricing?

I'd also guess that people with low income spend a lot less on Amazon. I know there's weeks that we get multiple packages a day from them all week, that's not likely from someone without a job...

Amazon offering discounted pricing to some individuals increases their number of customers. It helps them make more money, somebody on their end is smart.
A quick Google search shows EBT users can get discounts to enter many museums, zoos, and aquariums. These can be educational places but still a want vs a need. The non-EBT person has to pay full price, so is evil like Amazon that you wouldn't step foot in those places?
I agree, an Amazon Prime membership is a luxury item, not a necessity, so if I personally knew someone on EBT also buying a Prime Membership, yeah that would make me shake my head. That said, people rich and poor spend their money every day on wants instead of needs and I don't get to make them choose what I think is best.

bsnedeker

WKR
Our government needs a complete reset.....100% reset. Borrowing money to give to its citizens (and illegals) is no way to run a nation, unless you want it go bankrupt.
Did they actually borrow it, or just create it out of thin air?

redcorn65

Lil-Rokslider
I mean idk that I have a problem with Amazon discounting prime as much as I have a problem with people on assistance using money for Amazon prime. If I had to bet Amazon prime video Is included. If you’re on assistance they should be saving that for farmers markets and grocery stores. Whole Food. Real food. Not junk. It’s government assistance not life support. Get the help and work towards getting off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Private business so they can do as they please. I can’t say I support it it but I actually see this as a benefit considering some portion of this demographic don’t have transportation so they can greatly benefit from this service. However, I’d argue a large portion of that same demographic have the newest IPhones, Apple Watch, AirPods with a $400 knock off Louie bag.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I mean idk that I have a problem with Amazon discounting prime as much as I have a problem with people on assistance using money for Amazon prime. If I had to bet Amazon prime video Is included. If you’re on assistance they should be saving that for farmers markets and grocery stores. Whole Food. Real food. Not junk. It’s government assistance not life support. Get the help and work towards getting off of it.

I dont think having an Amazon Prime membership if you are on assistance is a problem. Batteries, school supplies, clothing, vitamins/supplements, baby supplies all can be found on Amazon for cheaper than local brick and mortar stores and other online stores.

$7/month membership gives access to that + subscribe and save + free shipping. Some of them will save more than $7 in gas for the month by ordering necessities from Amazon AND get the goods cheaper.

redcorn65

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think having an Amazon Prime membership if you are on assistance is a problem. Batteries, school supplies, clothing, vitamins/supplements, baby supplies all can be found on Amazon for cheaper than local brick and mortar stores and other online stores.

$7/month membership gives access to that + subscribe and save + free shipping. Some of them will save more than $7 in gas for the month by ordering necessities from Amazon AND get the goods cheaper.

I can agree but I feel like Amazon would be wayyyyy easier to take advantage of the system.