2012 CO Mountain Goat Hunt

JonS

WKR
Great story, is this the same rifle that wouldn't shoot that first day we went to the range, I won't mention why neither you nor I could get it to shoot?
Thanks for sharing the story and the fun, got me wanting to apply for a goat tag!

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Great story, is this the same rifle that wouldn't shoot that first day we went to the range, I won't mention why neither you nor I could get it to shoot?
Thanks for sharing the story and the fun, got me wanting to apply for a goat tag!

Yes, same rifle. But it wouldn't shoot because I drove all the way to the range without ammo. Unfortunately I have to admit user error that time!

Awesome hunt GMAN I sure wish I lived in Colorado so I could have been with you guys, epic trip for the books forsure. You are absolutely rite, when it comes to putting a big hunt together there are usually so many people involved that get left behind the scenes and its great to recognize them and appreciate everything they do or did for you.... Aron is truely one of a kind, a hell of a hunter, mountain man, and friend that would give you the underwear off his ass if need be :) Congrats again and everyone that was there by your side are STUDS!!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great work Gman!!! Looks like you had the right crew along with ya too. Good hunting partners are everything on any hunt as you know, but a mountain hunt good partners can make/break it for ya. Congrats on the goat sir!!!

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Wow awesome hunt and congrats!! Can I ask what you were wearing for a layering system....

Pretty typical. Kuiu attack pant and Guide jacket. Kuiu 185 base layer. Micro merino t shirt. Darn Touch merino socks. In one pic i have a Kryptek primaloft jacket I was trying out. I'd throw that or the spindrift on over everything when we stopped to glass. When we were moving, it didn't take much to stay warm as the Kuiu outterlayers did a great job of blocking the wind which was the main enemy.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
... Aron is truely one of a kind, a hell of a hunter, mountain man, and friend that would give you the underwear off his ass if need be :) ....

Thanks Bearhunter. I'm assuming this statement ^^^^^ is a hypothetical and not something you've tried yet? :)

shanevg

WKR
So only two days of hunting? All in all a pretty easy hunt right? ;)

Can't say I've ever sheep hunted but mountain goat hunts have to be one of the most epic hunts you can experience! Looks like an awesome experience overall!
Congrats on the goat and thanks for the great write up! I can't wait to get my goat tag and odds are CO will be my frist. I hope to have a crew a reliable crew like yours along with me when I get drawn!

It is always interesting to me that no matter how nasty or terrible a successful hunt was, as soon as you get back to the car you are thinking about the next hunt. I guess that's what makes us true fanatics.

Thanks for a great write up and fantastic photos. Goat hunting has some of the most dramatic highs and lows you'll experience in the back country and I could feel them in your account. Many guys crumble when their rifle fails, but your tenacity pulled you through. Bring on more photos!

Yukondog

WKR
Awesome story! Great group of guys helping. Chaos brings out the best memories. I too plan on that tag next year. I will hit you up if I get lucky enough to draw. I choose 3rd season and misses out. Might have to jump up to 4th season to get the tag.

Great hunt and awesome job on working through the hard times to get it done!

Matt

Wow !!!!!Fantastic write up and photo essay. You must have some patience Jedi master. I would have been cussing my weapon writing this up days later. Whats with Justin's spleen?? Thanks for the time and effort typing this up

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Thanks Rick. It was trying but I learned some very valuable lessons on that hunt.

Yukon - hit me up before you apply and I'll give you my thoughts.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
So a quick appendage to this hunt - once I got home I started looking at different options to rebuild my rifle on this same action or buy a new gun. My wife, who obviously knows me very well told all our friends she was surprised I didn't throw the rifle off the mountain and into the abyss on my hunt. Maybe I'm maturing.

Anyway, the scope that was severly dented after my fall was a Nikon. Out of curiosity more than anything else I told them what happened. I let them know it was 100% my fault AND the scope was painted. They were very nice and said that although the painting voids the warranty that I should send it back for inspection and they would likely help me in some way. My original scope was at least 10 years old. The scope was beyond repair, so they offered me -- at what I considered a very fair fee -- a brand new replacement. I eagerly accepted and my new scope arrived in days. I'm very happy with Nikon and will continue to buy their scopes. I think the Monarch line is a great value and I really like the BDC reticle combined with their Spot-on ballistics program.

While I was talking to custom gunbuilders about what could be done with my rifle (and checking every prominent factory rifle manufacturer's site readying myself to buy a new rilfe) I sent a very polite but honest email to the original smith about how disappointed I was. I wasn't really expecting much, but to my surprise they responded that everything should be under warrantly and to bring it in. We talked a bit and I decided to order a Bell and Carlson stock and have the gun recoated (I never liked the orignal camo I had done). They put the gun all back together, mounted the scope, and fixed the bum magagzine door - again all for a very nominal charge -- most of the work was all warranty and done for free. I picked up the rifle this morning and it looks awesome. Now I just have to shoot it but I'm guessing my troubles are a thing of the past. Here's what my Remington 700, .300 WSM mountain rifle looks like now:

rifle_redo2.jpg

rifle_redo1.jpg

Bighorse

WKR
Man that was a goat party. I head to the hills solo for goat often. The photos are really neat and provide a good perspective of the mountainous terrain.

Congrats on your goat.

I personally don't run Nikon stuff. It's been back for warantee two too many times for me. Your introspection on field conditioned shooting is spot on. Having the experience to know your performance in-the-field is important.
I really enjoyed this post. I wish I had a crew of friends to help on my goat hunts. Well since I don't, I'm gonna go strap on my boots and climb another hill and keep my legs strong. Aprox 150 days till I head to the mountains after the White Buffalo.