Idaho new system glitch

Pwells10

WKR
THIS IS NOT ME. Seen this awful luck story on Facebook.

Thoughts?

Idaho Once in A Lifetime Conservation Tags goes bad

On Wednesday May 12 about 11 am I received the call from Huntin Fool, Rob your going Big Horn Sheep hunting in Idaho this year!
Wow, I almost drove off the road.
I was so excited I could not even comprehend what just happened!
As lifetime Hunter and Conservationist I was beyond excited!
I immediately started calling Texas BigHorn Society members, friends and hunting buddies that would know who I needed for my guide.
By that night I had it set.
Idaho August 31 , 2021 I’d be in the mountains hunting sheep!
All set!!!!!
I then called my Yukon Outfitter that I had a August Dall Sheep hunt scheduled with to arrange to move this hunt that I have had booked for years to another year because I drew Idaho!
Boy was he excited for me!!!!
No problem, so he moved me to 2023 his next available opening.
Heck, no problem, I’m going Sheep hunting in Idaho this year.
I’m Good with that, so I thought???????
Seven days later, a call!
Huntin Fool, Rob, I have some bad news!
Ok!
Idaho is not issuing you a sheep tag!
What? No way
So Idaho sends out a letter!

7 days after the draw was posted and all successful tags recipients where notified!

Dear Mr. Marek,

Last week Idaho Fish & Game completed the draw for the once-in-lifetime species of moose, sheep, and goat. This is the first time we have done this draw with our new license system that launched on November 1, 2020.

Our records show that you were notified as being successful in drawing a Sheep tag for hunt 5011.Unfortunately, the notice you received was incorrect due to a glitch in our system, and we cannot issue you a tag.

Idaho’s legal limit on the number of nonresidents in the hunt you applied for was drawn ahead of you, but our system incorrectly issued you a notice due to a programming error. I regret to inform you that because Idaho law prohibits going over a set amount for nonresidents, the Department is unable to issue you the tag that you received an email about.

I recognize my message is a huge disappointment to you. I wish to express my apology for the confusion. I have directed a full refund of your Goat application to be issued to you (including vendor fees and surcharges charged during time of application), and made sure that you are eligible to apply for next year.

Please feel free to contact me at my direct number below if you wish to discuss further.

Sincerely,

Michael Pearson

Michael Pearson, CGFM, CPA
Chief, Bureau of Administration
Idaho Dept. of Fish & Game
PO BOX 25
600 South Walnut
Boise, ID 83707
(208) 287-2800

No phone call from anyone from Idaho Department of Fish and Game

I replied to Michael Pearson as well as all 7 Regional Idaho Commissioners the following!

I received this email yesterday.
To say the least, I’m very disappointed.
I am even more disappointed in the Idaho Dept of Fish and Game.
I drew a tag of a lifetime and notified over a week ago then in an email notified they drew to many Non Resident Sheep tags?
I understand we can not take more sheep than statistically feasible, however non resistance hunters will be hunting the tags drawn? And more will be issued for next year.

This isn’t a Elk or mule deer tag that I will have another chance of drawing in my life time, it’s a BigHorn Sheep tag of a lifetime.
I feel there is only one way to rectify this mistake from Idaho Dept of fish and Game.
Award me the non resident tag for 27-4 next year, and close the non resident sheep draw next year to make this right.
We must protect the conservation of the Sheep and protect the integrity of the system.
With much consideration, I feel this is the only true option the Idaho Dept of Fish and game has to fairly rectify their mistake.
Please help me present the case that this is the only fair solution.
Thank you for any assistance

Sincerely
Rob Marek

No response, no phone from anyone from Idaho Fish and game!

On Saturday evening I get this response! 4 days after I responded to them!

Mr. Marek,

I can certainly understand your disappointment, and as Michael did, I would like to apologize for the frustration I’m sure that you suffered. As Michael has mentioned we have recently changed our computer system and as I’m sure you’re aware with any new system comes some glitches.

I believe by now that someone from headquarters has reached out to you to try to explain and I hope they have been able to help better clarify what happened and why. Please except my sincere apology for the disappointment and hopefully you will have the opportunity in the future to partake in the hunt.

Sincerely
Ron

Ron Davies
IDFG Salmon Region Commissioner
Cell: 208-681-4166
353 Riverfront Ln
Clayton ID 83227

Now 10 days after I received my Idaho Big Horn Sheep tag

No phone, nothing
Still no explanation

Myself and 13 other Non residents drew Idaho Sheep tags
Where notified and tags where issued.
They drew the correct number of Sheep tags for Idaho however
Their “system “ drew 14 extra Non resident tags and which should have been Resident tags
So only 9 Non residents should have been drawn!
Ok this should be a easy fix

I understand we can not take more sheep than statistically feasible, however non resistance hunters will be hunting the tags drawn? And more will be issued for next year.

This isn’t a Elk or mule deer tag that I will have another chance of drawing in my life time, it’s a BigHorn Sheep tag of a lifetime.
I feel there is only one way to rectify this mistake from Idaho Dept of fish and Game.
Award us the non resident tags for next year, and close the non resident sheep draw next year to make this right.
We must protect the conservation of the Sheep and protect the integrity of the system.
With much consideration, I feel this is the only true option the Idaho Dept of Fish and game has to fairly rectify their mistake.

Nope, Idaho commissioners just swept it under the carpet and took the tags away and said better luck in the future!!

I want everyone to know that your Funds for these states, dollars we spend, and support from all our hard work is going to support unethical decisions by the states we support!

This is not a debate, I simply want the hunting world to know what Idaho Commissioners of Fish and Game did to 14 Hopeful, successful sheep tag recipients
In 2021.

Super unfortunate all around that states can't seem to get their act together despite the money spent on these draw systems, but they have a dall sheep hunt booked...

Glass half full or half empty?

I've been watching this story develop from a distance. Never seen or heard anything like it.

The Hunter's proposed rectification does seem like the fairest action. I don't know if the state can actually do that though. I think some or all of their rules are written into law. Although, special situations have allowed tags to be returned and reserved for the next year. I drew an early deer tag one year. My unit was engulfed in a large forest fire, making the hunt impossible to access. I was allowed to write a letter to the director and they granted me the same tag the following year. I wasn't allowed to apply for that species the year after the fire.

A sheep tag is on a whole different level.

I think this NR sheep tag situation should make us all realize these draws should take sufficient enough time to complete. We all get anxious and want instant results. We need to be pushing for proper quality control with these 3rd parties services. Did the 3rd party not do a simulation prior to the real deal draw? Is quality control in their contract? Why is the state not checking the results by hand prior to being posted on the site?

I'll be watching this story as it develops. Kind of curious where their tags are going. Sounds like the correct NUMBER of tags were issued, but now some are being pulled back. Is there going to be a 2nd draw for sheep?

Kimbersig

WKR
I feel really bad for the guys that were improperly told they drew a tag when they actually didn’t. This isn’t the first state that has done this either! It has got to be the biggest kick in the guts. They need to get their QC down before notifications are sent out. Not hard to count to 9!

Sorry to say but they owe you nothing other than your refund. It does suck that a mistake was made but they didn’t take a tag from you, you should’ve gotten the unsuccessful email just like about 2000 others did. It is unfortunate that they took 7 days to rectify their error though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might feel different if I was one of the people told they had a tag but to me it is pretty simple -an admin/tech mistake so move on. The piece I read about a potential civil suit is unfortunate and I would question myself as a conservationist knowing I was taking money away from that mission.

Another way to look at this - if they all of a sudden had a large die off would I fight it if they told me they needed to reduce the tags to protect the overall health of the herd.

I don’t agree with giving them next years tag because that means there is no opportunity for the many hunters next year. The fact is these people’s random number was higher than the number of tags intended to be given and they should have never drawn the tag to begin with - they were just notified they did. To me there is a difference than drawing and having the hunt canceled or unit closed.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I feel for the guy that got the email.

He handled it better than I would have for sure.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
You're wanting Idaho fish and game to rectify a mistake that a third party vendor made. There are strict laws surrounding everything that happens to sheep in the state of Idaho and even the process that they have to use for drawing these tags. Getting mad at fish and game, the employees that had nothing to do with the draw and the commission that isn't even employed but is made up of volunteers isn't going to do anything but make you look like a fool.

I see they released the draw stats. What did they do with these extra NR tags? From what I understood, the total number of tags were correctly met. Don't they needed to be redrawn then?

I see they released the draw stats. What did they do with these extra NR tags? From what I understood, the total number of tags were correctly met. Don't they needed to be redrawn then?
The wording in the email from IDFG states they were never really drawn. Just that the system incorrectly sent "successful" notifications.

Kimbersig

WKR
The residents that actually should have drawn the tags were notified that they in fact drew. I’ve heard of a few lucky residents getting that call.

Wrench

WKR
I had something similar happen in Washington 10ish years ago. I had never drawn a bull tag and I finally was notified that I drew a great bull tag.

Washington is a east or west tag. You can hut one or the other, but not both.

I was notified that they had to redraw because of a glitch. I then lost my prized unit east side bull tag. A while later I was notified that I had received a draw tag....a western Washington unit. Not even legal. I called to investigate as I was on an east side license...and to complicate matters further, I had two active elk tags in Eastern Washington already. One general, one depredation.

I was told my points would burn and the tag was mine.

The only happy ending is that I ate 3 Washington elk that year...