Explain this to me

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
They are not doing this out of the kindness of their heart. It's a marketing ploy. It hopefully will get more people to join at discounted prices. They are not losing money at those prices. I will say it does kind of bother me that those who are to lazy to go out and get a job will get the benefit of lower price. There is a financial benefit to being a prime member, but why do the need the discounted price, they shouldn't be able to afford to purchase the products in the first place because of their financial hardship position. I have no problem assisting those who are truly in need, but I hate helping the lazy.
This was kinda my point to begin with but I believe I did not articulate in that manner or it was taken incorrectly.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'd just suggest that people aim their animosity at the system that encourages single motherhood and literally penalizes people for getting a job. Getting angry at the people taking advantage of that system is exactly what the politicians want... it pits us against each other rather than focusing on the real problem.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
I'd just suggest that people aim their animosity at the system that encourages single motherhood and literally penalizes people for getting a job. Getting angry at the people taking advantage of that system is exactly what the politicians want... it pits us against each other rather than focusing on the real problem.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yep, it's the system that encourages these things that bothers me. Some people don't know any better than a certain way of life, it's become generational for many. I honestly think you and I are much on the same page regarding this, but maybe we aren't, just didn't come across that way in the beginning of the thread. Cheers bud.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yep, it's the system that encourages these things that bothers me. Some people don't know any better than a certain way of life, it's become generational for many. I honestly think you and I are much on the same page regarding this, but maybe we aren't, just didn't come across that way in the beginning of the thread. Cheers bud.
The more handouts the govt. gives, the more people rely on those handouts, thus more control they have of the masses. That is the goal of our system.

I am not against military/first responders or veterans getting discounts.
So you're against people you look down on getting discounts?

I run a business, I price things how I want. Would you be mad that I charge some people less or more for various reasons?

Does it bother you that some of my friends who run businesses charge me less for whatever reason?

Is it a problem that because I have a business, I get a discount on a lot of stuff on Amazon?

Discrimination legal definition: Discrimination refers to the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit. Discrimination can be the effect of some law or established practice that confers privileges on a certain class or denies privileges to a certain class because of race, age, sex, nationality, religion, or handicap.

in order to not discriminate against the poor (class) they include the poor in their discount. Thus far, discounts to the elderly (age), have held up in our courts. So, just how do you feel this meets the legal definition of discrimination?

Although I am old enough, I do not ask for the senior discount at Denny's or any other restaurant; those reduced portions just don't cut it for me.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
So you're against people you look down on getting discounts? I try extremely hard not to look down on anyone.

I run a business, I price things how I want. Would you be mad that I charge some people less or more for various reasons? For me personally, that would depend on the reason.

Does it bother you that some of my friends who run businesses charge me less for whatever reason? Not at all, you guys are friends.

Is it a problem that because I have a business, I get a discount on a lot of stuff on Amazon? Nope, lots of business have different pricing models for various reasons when selling to other businesses.

mlgc20

WKR
I certainly agree with the sentiments of disliking when folks abuse "the system" and use it unnecessarily. There are lots of reforms that can and should happen to make these programs more efficient. But, there are many people who truly need the help that these programs provide. Whether it's due to mental health issues, physical disabilities, etc.

I will give an example. A very close friend of mine is in his mid-forties, with a job at a non-profit, and is as able bodied as any of us. And if you saw him at the grocery store using an EBT card, you would likely wonder WTF. What you wouldn't see is the 5 kids at home with special needs that he and his wife have adopted that were abandoned by their families. They are giving a loving and permanent home to these kids that literally nobody else wanted. They do get some EBT type benefits from the state. But, that doesn't come any where close to covering the actual costs he and his wife have incurred. They certainly didn't do it for financial gain.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
So basically just sour grapes that you (Squirrels) don't get a specific discount to a private business?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Discrimination legal definition: Discrimination refers to the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit. Discrimination can be the effect of some law or established practice that confers privileges on a certain class or denies privileges to a certain class because of race, age, sex, nationality, religion, or handicap.

in order to not discriminate against the poor (class) they include the poor in their discount. Thus far, discounts to the elderly (age), have held up in our courts. So, just how do you feel this meets the legal definition of discrimination?

Although I am old enough, I do not ask for the senior discount at Denny's or any other restaurant; those reduced portions just don't cut it for me.
There is a fine line when it comes to reverse discrimination.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
I certainly agree with the sentiments of disliking when folks abuse "the system" and use it unnecessarily. There are lots of reforms that can and should happen to make these programs more efficient. But, there are many people who truly need the help that these programs provide. Whether it's due to mental health issues, physical disabilities, etc.

I will give an example. A very close friend of mine is in his mid-forties, with a job at a non-profit, and is as able bodied as any of us. And if you saw him at the grocery store using an EBT card, you would likely wonder WTF. What you wouldn't see is the 5 kids at home with special needs that he and his wife have adopted that were abandoned by their families. They are giving a loving and permanent home to these kids that literally nobody else wanted. They do get some EBT type benefits from the state. But, that doesn't come any where close to covering the actual costs he and his wife have incurred. They certainly didn't do it for financial gain.
There are a number of situations and scenarios where abled bodied people are on some form of assistance, and rightfully warranted. I don't have a gripe with that. Take your friend for example, he does have job that pays even though it is a non-profit, correct? He's putting in some effort. My gripe and only gripe is with the able bodied folks who live of the government and only do so because they can and it's easier. I also have issue with a government that allows and cultivates such situations.

In California, our Foster system does a Foster Adoption, it is not a legal adoption. A foster adoption still pays the foster parent rate (A through E, depending on level of disability) despite the foster adoption. It simply takes the child off their accountability sheet, i.e., the child is no longer monitored by the foster system. We have some great foster parents, and some that view it as an income, and simply do there best to move the child up the pay scale (A through E). I have seen foster parents decked out id designer clothes, jewelry, new car, latest phone, while their foster children are wearing Goodwill clothes. I have also seen foster parents that use that foster money to support their foster children very well in a responsible manner. As such, I look past the parents being foster parents, and look at how they treat and provide for the children. Considering the foster system is a national program that is state supervised but county administered in Ca, I can only presume that it could be very different from state to state.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn't work like that. The discounts are either subsidized by the government or Amazon is making it up somewhere else. Nothing is free and Amazon is getting it somewhere....
Amazon is getting sales from the people that would not normally be able to pay for their membership. The discount is to open up a market that usually would not be able to afford their services.

BuzzH

WKR
Not upset. Just don't understand. Students are just that, students and have limited time to work to earn an income. Seniors discounts, those folks have spent their time in the work force already. So students and seniors, I'm good with that. I'm talking about able bodied folks getting something cheaper just because they have chosen not to work. What seems to be interesting about my view??
Many people really aren't able to work and there are people that punch in 40, or more, hours a week that qualify for assistance.

Painting with a pretty broad brush...a bit too broad imo.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Many people really aren't able to work and there are people that punch in 40, or more, hours a week that qualify for assistance.

Painting with a pretty broad brush...a bit too broad imo.
My brush is very specific, like painting a picket fence that is currently green with blue paint. I'm talking about able bodied folks not hitting a lick at a snake and are able to do so because it is allowed and funded by those who do. Assistance and free loading are very different things.

tony

WKR
I was raised on welfare and back then it was down right embarrassing and not talked about.
Now it’s a lifestyle and expected to be passed down to the next generation.

I work as a nurse in a prison, here’s a little known fact, in WV every inmate got a stimulus check. Same amount as you and me and the rest of the tax paying public. I’m guessing that happened in all 50 states.
Murderers, rapists, thieves, drug dealers, you get the idea.
Everyone ok with that? I mean most inmates would qualify for that Amazon discount because we sign them up for Medicaid on intake.