exo mountain pack

eltaco

WKR
Last email said the next round of 3500s were shipping end of June. I can't recall what date you had to have the order in to be on that shipment. Everything else is July.

I don't have any plans to run a rain cover, but be aware that the side and stretchy pockets are not xpac. I'll keep everything I need dry in the main bag. Just another bonus to the Exo as I don't have to pack the cover!

Stid2677

WKR
Exo doing work today,, hauled my target out on the range and used it to shoot a few with, the notch makes a decent rest.

P6160470_zps895fa74b.jpg

P6160472_zps5966a4df.jpg

P6160475_zpsadf58d93.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
Today ExO to go photo, is from our fishing trip, biked in and used the Exo to pack out the fillets of 2 limits, 12 red salmon. Big thanks to Dan for "trying" out the "full" Pack. :)

10383677_758582580848177_2075641363851078159_n_zpsa5b72c20.jpg

P6180481_zps59052a0f.jpg

P6180482_zps6b5b9694.jpg

Bloody carpet review...

P6190489_zpsddd0c802.jpg

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Stid I just want to know how many times your pole hit your back wheel and made the motorcycle sound..... :D

Stid2677

WKR
Stid I just want to know how many times your pole hit your back wheel and made the motorcycle sound..... :D

Just a couple times,, kinda makes a grrrrrrrrrr, that sounds like a bear, so it kept Mr Dan peddling faster. :)

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone has dimensions of the pack? I wonder if its carry-on friendly..

Specifically - 10 x 16 x 24 inches or less..

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone has dimensions of the pack? I wonder if its carry-on friendly..

Specifically - 10 x 16 x 24 inches or less..
I just compared the exo 3500 to one of my kids carry on luggage bag and they are really close to the same size. The exo is maybe a inch longer and about same width. So imo it would probably depend on what you were going to cary on.

eltaco

WKR
I know there's a picture of them carrying the bag on to the plane when they attended ATA show last year. Unless dimensions have changed since then, I think you're good to go. Of course, might be different if you're loaded to max capacity.

I'm hoping next week for shipment of 3500s. Looks like they're getting close from the Facebook pics!

eltaco

WKR
That depends on when you ordered. I was in the first round of ASAT orders. If you ordered later and are in the next shipment, you might be later half of July.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are quite a few that seem to be jumping ship to these exo packs, even though they are comparatively unproven when up against some of the other major contenders (ie kifaru, MR, stone glacier, etc...). I am in no way insinuating that the exo packs are inferior, just babies compared to the competition. What is making you guys go with the exo? I understand the price point is a bit better than a complete kifaru set up but some of you guy already had one, so it's not as if this is really a reason for some of you. Is it just a latest and greatest mentality? Just curious.

I wouldn't call it jumping ship by any means. I still have my Kifaru and love it. For me I did a lot of looking, asking and anything I could read on them. My findings is that they really did their homework on this pack. I like everything about it sight unseen. That is the reason I purchased one. I do have high expectations for it.

eltaco

WKR
I had a T1 and thought it was a good pack, but I find the fit on the Exo to be better for my body type. For whatever reason, it simply loads better for me. I had the opportunity to try before I bought, so it wasn't a completely blind decision for me.

There are a couple of features that I prefer on the Exo. I like the frame much better, in that it isn't anywhere near as rigid, torsionally. It feels more like a day pack, but loads like a frame hauler. The kifaru loads like a meat hauler, but feels like a compact hauler on my back at all times. I also like that there isn't a horizontal stay at head level on the Exo. The shoulder straps on the Exo seem to fit me better, also... likely because of how slim I am. The kifaru straps tended to squirt out and leave the load lifters rubbing on my collar bones.

On the bag, I LOVE the load sling compared to a large bag setup. I can now run a much smaller bag since I don't need to fit an elk quarter inside of it.

There's also the weight aspect. By saving the bag volume, I dropped about 1.5lbs just by switching packs, and I believe the size will still suit my particular needs. Even had I chosen the larger bag, I would have saved over a pound.

You already touched on price, which I think is going to be a big factor for a lot of guys. I'm frankly surprised how low the Exo is priced compared to similar products.

I don't find major differences, but there are enough little things and design features that attracted me, personally. The kifaru, for me, was better than other options I have seen or tried until the Exo came along. I think both are phenomenal packs but the Exo suits my personal needs better, to this point. The test of longevity is still open to debate, but I don't immediately see anything that gives me concern in that department.

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
I wanted to try the eXo because of the titanium wire frame, the compound bends gives it incredible strength. I also have a new EMR II with Bikini that I'm using as well, time will tell which wins out in my gear closet.