exo mountain pack

steveo

FNG
I bought a 3500 and its great but I couldn't get 7 days worth of stuff in it. My solution was to buy a eberlestock duffel and put it between the frame and the pack. I can carry 14 days of stuff now. It does put extra pressure on the lumbar pad but a little adjustment of the load lifters and all it good. Love this pack so far.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I just took the Exo 5500 on an 8 day sheep hunt. Here's my review:

Size & Bag: I was somewhat worried about the size not being big enough to fit 8 days worth of gear. To my surprise I managed to fit everything in the pack and didn't have to hang anything on the exterior. Since I was carrying the spotter and cooking gear, my partner packed the tent. If I was solo I would have had to strap the tent to the exterior of the 5500 but that's pretty typical with most all packs. If I'd have shot a sheep on the second day of the hunt, I'd have been strapped for space but with the meat shelf and the outer attachment loops I'm confident I could have made it work.

This is the first pack I've owned with the side zipper. Man I never knew what I'd been missing. The lid size is good for quick access item; map, gloves, tp, etc. Wouldn't mind seeing the bottom skirt of the lid be a little larger so it more effectively covered the top opening and pockets. It gets the job done but doesn't always cover fully when the pack is stuffed full.

Suspension: This is the first three piece belted pack I've owned. I've been used to carry most of the weight on my hips with my previous pack. The thick lumbar pad of the Exo was a change for me but didn't take any time to get used too. With light to medium weight the pack rides like a dream. I did run into one issue when hiking with the fully loaded pack, 60-65 lbs. With the pack loaded down and the belt cranked tight I would sometimes fight the belt riding up into my ribs on my sides. Not sure how to remedy this or if it's just a combination of the pack design and my body shape. It's not a deal breaker, just a little annoying now and then. Overall the pack is comfortable.

Straps & Clips: My biggest complaint about the pack is with the pull straps that close the top of the side sleeves. Total PITA. They require two hand to both tighten and loosen. Seems like your always stuck fighting to opening or closing them 1/2" at a time. Would like to see these closure straps changed over to a draw cord.

The compression straps all work well in securing the load and compressing the pack down when not full. The strap that runs front to back over the top just under the lid is a well thought out addition. I liked the ability to hang my water bladder between the bag and frame and use the meat securing straps to hold the bladder in place.

Overall, the pack is definitely a keeper. Unfortunately I didn't get to load it up with a sheep. Mother nature thought if would be more entertaining to hammer us with a week of snow, rain, wind, and clouds. Looking forward to taking the pack out after black bears over the next few weekends.

I bought a 3500 and its great but I couldn't get 7 days worth of stuff in it. My solution was to buy a eberlestock duffel and put it between the frame and the pack. I can carry 14 days of stuff now. It does put extra pressure on the lumbar pad but a little adjustment of the load lifters and all it good. Love this pack so far.

Though quite spacious for a 3500 pack, it definately is no 7 day pack. Unless very single thing you owned was ultralight gear. 4-5 is its logical limit I would say. Nice thing is, They make a bigger pack if needed.

I don't know what you guys are packing but I easily had 7 days stuff in mine and had a little extra room (not much)....and that's a newbie with a few things too many.

Ironman8

WKR
Though quite spacious for a 3500 pack, it definately is no 7 day pack. Unless very single thing you owned was ultralight gear. 4-5 is its logical limit I would say. Nice thing is, They make a bigger pack if needed.

I've got the 3500 but haven't packed my gear yet...are you referring to fitting all this inside the bag? What if you put something like your food bag between the pack and frame? I've got a 9 day hunt in November and I sure hope there's enough room...

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ironman it should work fine if you use an extra bag between frame and bag. I did this also. Its very stable as long as you distribute the weight well in the extra bag attached to the frame.

_Nick_

WKR
Come on!! Someone has to HATE their Exo pack! I need to buy one and keep thinking, sooner or later, someone will have one to sell. If anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know!

I think I've decided to let my 3500 go. I think my anatomy just isn't right for the Exo belt. Had it out on a long trip over the last few days, and just couldn't get it as comfortable as the Kifaru Bikini belt I've got. It basically digs in a bit into the front portion of my iliac crest. The Exo beats the Kifaru on a variety of other factors, and obviously fits comfortably for others. But since belt fit is so crucial to pack comfort, I think I'm going to have to stick with the Bikini for now. PM if you're interested in a Foliage 3500.

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks fellas, I'll post up a pic when I get it all packed. Making a couple last minute gear changes, so haven't bothered to pack it.

Also, I did a short training hike with it last night at about 45ish lbs (sandbags) and have to say that the pack rides excellent! Still getting it dialed in though so I imagine it'll only get better as I figure it out.

I have an Exo 5500 in Foliage Green I will be selling/returning. I tried several times to get the pack to fit me correctly with no successes. It seems I am having a very difficult time finding the right fit for me. I received the pack 4 days before my hunt and tried to get the fit right with no success so the pack has never been used. Anyone interested in it?

Waist belt size is a small (29-33")

I no longer have the pack.

Last edited:
I've been on several trips and packed out 2 elk now with my 3500. I feel the frame is and will be comfortable with as much weight as I could possibly carry (probably 120-130 for a few miles in decent terrain without alot of underbrush). The only thing that really frustrates and bugs me is the lid and snow collar. The material on the bottom of the lid and the snow collar swish terribly every single step even with the lid cinched down all the way. Only way to stop it is to stuff a jacket in there but at that point you take up so much of the lid capacity from underneath it's not good for much. I would really like to be able to use the lid but keep it low so the top of the frame is the highest point. I am being picky but I feel the pack is so close to being perfect its worth pushing for that next level. I'm going to call Steve Monday or Tuesday and ask what he's done or if he has a solution. Someone else has to have noticed this by now?