exo mountain pack

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 18664

Coming out heavy with an Oregon opening weekend 5x5. Rear Quarter between the frame and bag. Straps/Loins/Scrap meat in the 3500 bag. Some of my gear on top of the meat in the bag. Head on top. Lots of windfall and a very steep and unestablished trail on the way out. This pack handled it beautifully. AND cleaned up great after the fact.

Out of the ballpark Steve and Lenny. I'm a fan.
Way to break her in. Good job!

If anyone was still wondering the KUIU size M rain fly fits perfect on the 3500. I really like the hip belt pouch and don't feel like its all that much smaller than the old KUIU hip belt pouches and if you happen to have a KUIU water blader pouch they fit the tabs well on the frame or in the bag as does Kifaru water blader pouch or chamber pockets and I imagine the dock and locks would too but I don't have those to try.

If anyone was still wondering the KUIU size M rain fly fits perfect on the 3500. I really like the hip belt pouch and don't feel like its all that much smaller than the old KUIU hip belt pouches and if you happen to have a KUIU water blader pouch they fit the tabs well on the frame or in the bag as does Kifaru water blader pouch or chamber pockets and I imagine the dock and locks would too but I don't have those to try.

Excellent info. Thanks

hflier

WKR
Oregon Sportsman, that pack looks real low on you. But you may have done that to get that bulls head set in a way to grab the antlers. Nice bull, congrats!

parshal

WKR
I thought I'd add that the small Osprey rain cover (found on Amazon for fairly cheap) fits the 3500. It won't let you have a ton of stuff on the outside but it covers it even with the snow collar fully extended.

KMD

Banned
Haven't got many miles on it now, but this 3500 pack compares very favorably to my Bikini/HC so far.

Fitment is easy, load lifter angle is great, love the sewn in pack handle, and the frame really seems to move with the upper body. Not so much that the load rolls, but there is a slight bit of flex that adds to comfort level when making way on uneven terrain. Dig the big lumbar pad too, it settles in & rides right where its posta be. Little things like the strap keepers are a welcomed addition, as are the side zips on the main bag.

The Exo guys really have put out a nice product, kudos!

ElkNut1

WKR
Exo pack to date is the best All Purpose Pack we've owned, this thing is ridiculous, if you haven't tried one do it you will be impressed.

ElkNut1

robtattoo

WKR
I'm another that'd really like to see a side-by-side comparison of the 5500 & 3500.
Can't decide which I'd be better off with.

I had a kifaru t2 before I went to a DT1. I have never wished to have the smaller bag back. The packs compress so small it really isn't a factor. If you are planning on backpack hunting I don't see how you couldn't choose the 5500. I imagine these exos compress similarly to a timberline series pack.

n2horns

WKR
I'm another that'd really like to see a side-by-side comparison of the 5500 & 3500.
Can't decide which I'd be better off with.

I too battled and bought the 5500, then as more post came up I then started to question was the 5500 going to be too big. Up until it arrived i was panicking if I made the right selection with 5500. The day it arrived i was stoked. Its a few inches taller and wider in the main bag than 3500.

I absolutely don't regret getting the 5500, and the mere few ounces of weight difference is made up by what can be carried.

What i found useful is the small mesh zipper pocket on the inside bag. Wish there was 1 more of those. great for small items that get lost in the lid or the bottom of the main bag.

I got 2 side pouches, slurpee water bag and meat shelf. Now just need to carry something out of the field with it.

parshal

WKR
I have a 3500 and placed an order for the 5500 the other day. I talked to Steve about the size of the 5500 as a daypack. He said it actually compresses smaller due to the extra compression straps of the lid but that he prefers the 3500 since there's less fabric to dig through when you've not got much in it. He said he used his on a 9 day hunt and had plenty of room.

I'm interested in the 5500 when I use my winter bag. On my 3 day hunt with the 3500 I had my fall bag strapped the bottom of the pack and the pack itself was rather full. I used most everything I took so I think I'd have issues using it for a winter trip with the heavier bag a few more bulky clothes.

hflier

WKR
I just bought a 3500 from a forum member. Got it and loaded it, put it on and all I can say after trying many many packs (I am a Kifaru fan) is holy crap. Never had a load feel so good on me. I cant wait to give this a real run this weekend. I am astonished at the design and how it feels like nothing on the back. I can also see the ventilation on the back will be very good.

hflier

WKR
Took my 3500 out with a load today. Did 4.5 miles. The only pack I ever had that I didn't think about when I was doing the hike. Could just be a good fit for my body, but man I was impressed. Dare say it...... I know its blasphemy, but way more comfortable than my Kifaru Packs. Don't get me wrong I love my Kifaru gear, but I am blown away with this EXO pack.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Welcome to the Exo Koolaid =-). Ron I had the same opinion. I had close to 60# on my back and felt like I could do more and wasnt feeling uncomfortable at all. Glad Im not the only one =-)

Exactly what I have been saying for months now. I have been a diehard Kifaru user for the past 15 years. My Exo 3500 will now carry my Kifaru accessories.

Come on!! Someone has to HATE their Exo pack! I need to buy one and keep thinking, sooner or later, someone will have one to sell. If anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know!

Come on!! Someone has to HATE their Exo pack! I need to buy one and keep thinking, sooner or later, someone will have one to sell. If anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know!

PM me.....I am thinking of changing to 5500, I do not hate the pack, I LOVE it, but I think I may want the extra room. Send me a PM and we can talk.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Exo is definitely not going anywhere anytime soon for me.

Today I removed the Bag from the Frame.. jesus that is one ultralight frame. I took it off in anticipation of getting of my HPG Highlander Bag next week to throw on this and try out. I think its going to be a great marriage between exo and HPG. Cant wait.