exo mountain pack

KMD

Banned
My 3500 is posta be here today. Will be transferring workout load from my Bikini/HC into it, for a few mile test run after work.

As for pack covers, I got an Osprey UL in large from REI for ~$35 that weighs like 5oz. and will swallow up a 7000ci Highcamp. Might need a medium for this Exo, we'll see how baggy it fits...

parshal

WKR
James, I got mine all loaded last night. I think I've got nearly as much as you. I almost forgot the food!

I'd like to see the 5500 next to the 3500 just to compare. I think I have the "standard" complaints as well. I'd like to see the lid free floating and the smaller buckles are hard to adjust. I'd also like to see some horizontal web attachments on the back near the vertical ones. That would give a few more options for attaching stuff. I ordered some web dominators after messing around with the velcro.

Since we're so close to the highway I'm not worried at all about weight. I'm even bringing my aeropress espresso maker. LOL

My typhon xing with organizer may be up for sale as well!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking forward to this bro. Yeah the Exo is a great pack. not many complaints at all. Just some fine tuning things that Steve And Lenny can do to make this thing perfect. With 50+ lbs in it I am not struggling to keep it up at all. That Lumbar pad for me is the cats meow. It really keeps the pack in your small of your back. I will meet you there brotha.

I order accessories last, doing some pre-packing tonight and noticed I was a pair of socks short. Wonder if the S&S sock offer carries through to exo?

Bmcox86

WKR
I hope they make the beaver tail in orange and foliage. Maybe one size orange and one size a pack color. Hoping atleast foliage soon

ssliger

WKR
In case any one is wondering, although it says it's taller than 22" for a carry on. I was able to smash mine into the size check at the United Counter.

_Nick_

WKR
Alright, got my 3500 in today and did a bit of testing.

My take... The Exo bag and frame is superior to my Kifaru BT3 in all ways except one: the belt. The belt on the Exo is lackluster in comparison to the Kifaru belt, in my opinion. It uses a markedly smaller and firmer pad, leading to increased incidence of pressure points on the lumbar area. The material on the exo lumbar, in addition, is rough. This can pretty easily be felt through a t-shirt and further makes the belt less comfortable than the BT3's. Rough material is unnecessary, really, as a good belt design will hug the hips snugly enough that it won't be rotating anyway (maybe I'm wrong on this assumption?).

The only other minor detail is that the buckles for the shoulder strap tightening on the exo ride in such a way that my biceps brush them when walking with poles. This is pretty insignificant, though I think it could be easily remedied by having slightly longer shoulder strap padding (or by switching the tightening point to be on the frame side).

So, I'm torn. The exo frame is more flexible and allows for better hunched over visibility (so the top of the frame doesn't squash the back of your head). The exo bag is better designed. But the belt notably loses out in the comfort realm in my opinion... and a comfortable belt is a very important feature in a pack that needs to haul weight.

I think I may look into what level of insanity would be required to get a Kifaru belt on an exo frame... that would pretty much be the perfect overall bag.

Before I do that, I'm going to try a medium exo belt as well (have a 32" waist, so I'm right on the cusp between small and medium). Will update if that helps remedy the discomfort.

OK, so tried the medium belt and it's a bit too long. I think the small belt will work just fine. I played around a bit with the foam in the lumbar pad and got it to a very very good spot. The belt is much more comfortable for me now... makes it the best hunting pack I've ever had (better than the Kifaru BT platform that is the next best). I will second the minor gripes about the hard attachment of the pack-lid (it would be nice to be able to remove it) on the 3500. Other than that, this thing is great. And I've received amazing customer service from Steve. Overall I highly recommend.

Rucker61

WKR
In case any one is wondering, although it says it's taller than 22" for a carry on. I was able to smash mine into the size check at the United Counter.

The 22" is the longest dimension - with a 14" width, the hypotenuse is over 26" corner to corner, and depending on how much is in the pack should be able to wedge a pretty tall pack in the enclosure.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
So it seems like one of the few but most noticeable dislikes about the 3500 is the reverse lid. I've seen several reviews about preferring the floating/detachable lid to the reverse. Due to the small increase in pack weight and small price difference, I wonder if anyone would recommend going with the 5500 over 3500. I'm on the list for Octobers shipment of a 3500 but I'm wondering about upgrading or at this point, holding off for the 2015 version of the pack.

Poser

WKR
So it seems like one of the few but most noticeable dislikes about the 3500 is the reverse lid. I've seen several reviews about preferring the floating/detachable lid to the reverse. Due to the small increase in pack weight and small price difference, I wonder if anyone would recommend going with the 5500 over 3500. I'm on the list for Octobers shipment of a 3500 but I'm wondering about upgrading or at this point, holding off for the 2015 version of the pack.

I have the 5500. I thought that I might order the 3500 bag only for whitetail hunting, however, the 5500 compresses to well, I don't really see a need too. I mean, sure, its more bag than I need to whitetail day hunts, but, compressed down, you might as well have a 1800 cu pack on your back.

Anyone know if the 3500 buckles for the lid go to the inside or outside of the load lifter straps. They seem to be right in line and the two weekends I have been backpacking and scouting with this pack the lid attachment seems to overlap and bind up the load lifter straps. I've tried it both ways but don't remember how it came out of the box. Thanks.

parshal

WKR
...I've seen several reviews about preferring the floating/detachable lid to the reverse....

I like the reverse lid although I'd like to see it float. I'd like to see the lid buckle in the same place (near the shoulder straps) and have the ability to raise/lower it on the front. I'm sure the 5500 is like that but I haven't seen it.

The 3/4" buckles are tough to adjust, especially the two at the bottom of the pack where I put my sleeping bag and the closure for the two side pockets. I think they'd be real tough when it's cold.

Bmcox86

WKR
I have the 5500. I thought that I might order the 3500 bag only for whitetail hunting, however, the 5500 compresses to well, I don't really see a need too. I mean, sure, its more bag than I need to whitetail day hunts, but, compressed down, you might as well have a 1800 cu pack on your back.

Outside

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Anyone know if the 3500 buckles for the lid go to the inside or outside of the load lifter straps. They seem to be right in line and the two weekends I have been backpacking and scouting with this pack the lid attachment seems to overlap and bind up the load lifter straps. I've tried it both ways but don't remember how it came out of the box. Thanks.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I've tried both sides of the load lifters and there really doesn't seem to be a right way.

Randy

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I've tried both sides of the load lifters and there really doesn't seem to be a right way.

Randy

Mine came packed on the outside of the load lifters. When I was messing around with getting it packed and fitted I accidentally restraped the lid to the inside of the load lifters straps and ran into a little bit of the same binding issue. With them on the outside of the load lifters I have not had that problem. Hope that helps

Elk2014 057.jpg

Coming out heavy with an Oregon opening weekend 5x5. Rear Quarter between the frame and bag. Straps/Loins/Scrap meat in the 3500 bag. Some of my gear on top of the meat in the bag. Head on top. Lots of windfall and a very steep and unestablished trail on the way out. This pack handled it beautifully. AND cleaned up great after the fact.

Out of the ballpark Steve and Lenny. I'm a fan.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 18664

Coming out heavy with an Oregon opening weekend 5x5. Rear Quarter between the frame and bag. Straps/Loins/Scrap meat in the 3500 bag. Some of my gear on top of the meat in the bag. Head on top. Lots of windfall and a very steep and unestablished trail on the way out. This pack handled it beautifully. AND cleaned up great after the fact.

Out of the ballpark Steve and Lenny. I'm a fan.

Congrats on the bull , nice !