Exo Mountain K4?

mcseal2

WKR
I had a 2200 question.

Does anyone have experience with getting a spotter and tripod in and out with the bag pretty well filled? I used a Kuiu 2300 daypack to hold all my gear except my Kowa 554 and Slik 624 with an Outdoorsmans micro pan head tonight as a trial. I had the 2300 pretty full. I was wondering how easy the spotter and tripod will be to get in and out of the pack if I have the main bag filled tight? I am looking at getting a K4 before a November muley hunt where I'll have my 15's plus some bulky puffy layers.

I was planning on a 2200 for most hunts and a 5000 bag for Alaska and other longer trips. Now I'm wondering if I should get a 2200 plus straps to add a lid, or just get the 5000 and call it good. I've been running a K2 3500 for years with plenty of room but I'd like to have the horseshoe zipper on a K4.

Thanks for the help. I emailed Mark at Exo with the question as well.

I should add I saw the youtube video showing this on the bigger packs, just wanted to make sure it works as well on the 2200. Thanks.

Last edited:
I had a 2200 question.

Does anyone have experience with getting a spotter and tripod in and out with the bag pretty well filled? I used a Kuiu 2300 daypack to hold all my gear except my Kowa 554 and Slik 624 with an Outdoorsmans micro pan head tonight as a trial. I had the 2300 pretty full. I was wondering how easy the spotter and tripod will be to get in and out of the pack if I have the main bag filled tight? I am looking at getting a K4 before a November muley hunt where I'll have my 15's plus some bulky puffy layers.

I was planning on a 2200 for most hunts and a 5000 bag for Alaska and other longer trips. Now I'm wondering if I should get a 2200 plus straps to add a lid, or just get the 5000 and call it good. I've been running a K2 3500 for years with plenty of room but I'd like to have the horseshoe zipper on a K4.

I should add I saw the youtube video showing this on the bigger packs, just wanted to make sure it works as well on the 2200. Thanks.

I have been running the 2200 for 12 days sheep hunting and another 8 days elk hunting and I like most things about the bag. For the sheep hunt I either carried my Kowa 554 or Vortex 65, both are straight, in the pleated side bag with no issues most the time. In the main bag I have kill kit, first aid kit and usually a brooks down puffy and Klamath hoodie. I put a set of Chugach rain gear in the pleated pocket opposite side of the spotter. I use the promaster 525 with full side fluid head and I found strapping that to the back center of pack was most convenient for me. I had enough room to add puffy pants or a heavier puffy jacket if needed.

I did two different one night trips and found the bag was really too small for me. For the over night trips I added a stove/small pot, z packs shelter, quilt, mattress and more food. This was a very tight fit and I had to really work at getting the spotter in the pocket. Rifle was carried on pack for the sheep and bow was carried in hand for the elk hunt. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sivart

WKR
for overnight trips w/ the 2200, couldn't you carry camp in the meat shelf in a dry sack? I guess that is what I was hoping to do?

SLM

FNG
Getting the spotting scope in/out with a full pack can be a pain. Really wish they would have done external pleats on the side pockets. An S2/774 takes up a bunch of room.

Spiro

FNG
I understand putting the nalgene holder on the opposite side of the rifle holder, but I usually carry two sometime three nalgenes. So I wonder how the carrier works when the pack isn't "nicely" shaped. For reference, my pack is ready to go for a three day bear hunt this weekend. View attachment 583858

What’s that tag on your bag? Dope sheet and ID tag? Take a closer pic of it and lmk where you got it looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
It’s a thermometer. What you see is the windchill chart.

Attachments

• B363BE3E-1116-44AF-9AAE-AFE6F6188C68.jpeg
    B363BE3E-1116-44AF-9AAE-AFE6F6188C68.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2D32A2F4-E869-460D-9B96-0EC62D9BB577.jpeg
    2D32A2F4-E869-460D-9B96-0EC62D9BB577.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 75

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
How long is everyone’s lumbar pad going? I’ve been doing training rucks and I think mine is about done. Thoughts?

JNDEER

WKR
I had a 2200 question.

Full main bag and you should be ok putting a spotter in the side pocket- but the tripod will have to ride outside. Full bladder, one puffy and a bag of snacks with kill kit and emergency bag I I couldn’t get my tripod in the side pocket. Remove some of that and run less and they both fit just fine.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding the rifle carrier: once you pull the rifle, if solo, how do you get it reattached without dropping the whole pack off your back?
I had to drop my whole pack, haven’t found a way around it. That said, I haven’t been in a position that I need to remove it often and then put it back on, so it doesn’t feel like a nuisance in the slightest.

Came out heavy on antelope opener.

Love this pack so much I bought my wife one… she loves it too!

Rifle carrier worked great with the full pack. I still leave a strap on and carry the rifle off and on, but the rifle carrier is good for those morning, evening, and full pack times!

Qjmnt9Mh.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts on what a rifle carrier is intended for. I use it to help transport my gun safely from point A to B, freeing up my hands to get through the scrub brush, down fall etc. Early morning & late evening, well before shooting light. If I relocate a good distance during the day it gets strapped down. Sure, if I take it off and want to put it back on I have to take my pack off. Not a big deal. If the hike to the next ridge isn’t that far, then I just use the rifle sling and throw it over my shoulder.

Last edited:

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Regarding the rifle carrier: once you pull the rifle, if solo, how do you get it reattached without dropping the whole pack off your back?
Yes, if solo, you'll need to remove the pack and replace the rifle. Our priority with this design is ultimate security and quick-access — to meet those priorities, ease of replacing the rifle was something we were willing to relinquish. It only takes a few seconds to remove the pack and re-secure the rifle.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Came out heavy on antelope opener.

Love this pack so much I bought my wife one… she loves it too!

Rifle carrier worked great with the full pack. I still leave a strap on and carry the rifle off and on, but the rifle carrier is good for those morning, evening, and full pack times!

Qjmnt9Mh.jpg
I legitimately thought you were Jack Carr for a second.

hunt1up

WKR
I just returned last week from an elk hunt in WY. First hunt with the K4 after using a K2 for years. I found the K4 to be excellent. Comfy all day and great with a load of meat. I like almost everything about it. BUt I bought the rifle carrier and I didn't use it once. I ended up carrying my rifle by sling or in hand the whole time.

On my K2 I'd strap my rifle on the back of the pack with the stock in the bow holder and pack straps. I did that all the time, expecially packing meat. I just haven't fallen in love with the new design yet. I had to put some sticky velcro on my rifle stock so the carrier clip doesn't rub on my stock. It's basically plastic directly on the stock. Additionally, putting the rifle in and out of the carrier just isn't smooth for me yet. Maybe it's user error. I'd almost prefer a non-elastic pocket for the stock, similar to the old bow carrier. Just my .02 and honestly I just need to use it more.

For a dedicated rifle carrier Kuiu’s has been my favorite. It simply works and has felt lined protection in areas where needed to protect the stock as well as not mar up the barrel. I just bought my new K4 pack and accessories and added the rifle carrier however if it’s not up to my liking I’ll return it and try connecting my Kuiu rifle carrier to it. I’ll wait to pass judgment after I have recievwd it and used it. I know for certain though I won’t use the EXO Barrel strap. I don’t like that unprotected buckle. I’ll give the stock pouch a chance though. Super excited to get the pack in and get it in the woods.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
About to go chase elk and hopefully put the K4 to the test next week. My sister likes to sew and had some extra blaze orange hyperD 1 oz. fabric so had her put this together to help meet blaze orange requirements when I’m not using a lid. Fits the cross straps perfectly and can just be slide over to access the stretch pocket.

Super easy to make if anyone wants to follow suit, otherwise she’s open to making them and selling them for a reasonable price if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_7547.jpeg
    IMG_7547.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 124

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I use the K4 for whitetails and man does it work great. It took a second to figure it out but I’ve got it down.

I hunt in a Big Shot Buckshot Climber and I used to strap the climber to my previous K3 aluminium frame. I sold the K3 and the mounting method isn’t the same.

I thought I could go around the frame and go strap to strap using the locking buckles. That doesn’t work. I also use the 2200 pack and I’ll mention it later too.

The trick is to use the pack straps and put the bag in the middle of the stand. Connect the pack straps to the bag and connect the center straps as you normally would but make them loose. Tighten the bag straps over the stand to the frame. Lastly tighten the middle straps and they are the last bit of final tightening. It holds like a champ. You may need to tighten if the load moves like with other loads but that’s how it can be done. The bag is kinda like the spring that always keeps tension on the hard frame.

I tested this setup with an 80lb concrete bag under the stand to simulate carrying a deer out using the load straps and the crib panel. Still works great.

I was hesitant on the top pouch for the 2200 and Steve was right. It’s just right. The bag overall is perfect for the whitetail day hunter. I can put the bag on the frame, pull it up the tree using the strap on the inside of the bag (very handy), and hang it. The side straps connect to the bag but don’t interfere with the opening the fully zipper. The cross straps can be kept loose so you can open the zipper in stages and not dump out the contents.

It also rained yesterday and my stuff stayed fairly dry and that was the bonus. I only wish I could have seen a deer that was big enough.

I have attached pictures. I’m very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2392.jpeg
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 107