Exo Mountain K4?

croben

WKR
Problem for dummies solved. I’m not going through the rubrix cube at 12k snow and rain again on a 40 degree slope.

I had the clips numbered, but that didn’t work everything was so alkwatd, and the pack out so large.
Great idea! Are they easy to see with a headlamp, both white and red light?

rclouse79

WKR
@ExoMtnGear

Can you please explain how the stretch pocket is supposed to be used on the 7200? It seems like the zipper is on the wrong side, and with only 1 zipper pull I found it was frequently necessary to undo a cross strap and one lid buckle to actually get into the "quick" access stretch pocket. I tried for a week and couldn't figure out a convenient way to use that pocket, what am I missing?
A double zipper would be nice. I leave the pull tab on the zipper just under the top strap so I can open it quickly. I keep snacks and wipes in there, and have never thought twice about accessing it.

Just have to say that after a quick 4 day, 35-40 mile hunt, the k4 freaking rocks... and all the accessories are amazing!

Never have I thought so little about a pack when it was on my back - and I mean that as a compliment!

The molle is amazing... Ivory holster on one side, belt pouch and Nalgene on the other and everything I needed was easily assessable, not annoying/in the way, not floppy, and didn't "weigh the belt down"/hurt my hips.

Couldn't be happier with this pack after my first real trip with it! Thanks @ExoMtnGear!

rclouse79

WKR
It is time for me to put the bow away and convert my k4 to rifle mode. I was playing around with the new rifle carrier, and when I had it low enough to put the upper strap above the scope the butt of the gun hit my butt. I also had the buckle slide between the scope and gun once when I was practicing. It feels more comfortable with the rifle up higher. Can anyone see potential issues having the upper strap around the scope as pictured. I can’t imagine it hurting anything but was hoping for confirmation.
IMG_0639.jpeg

It is time for me to put the bow away and convert my k4 to rifle mode. I was playing around with the new rifle carrier, and when I had it low enough to put the upper strap above the scope the butt of the gun hit my butt. I also had the buckle slide between the scope and gun once when I was practicing. It feels more comfortable with the rifle up higher. Can anyone see potential issues having the upper strap around the scope as pictured. I can’t imagine it hurting anything but was hoping for confirmation.
View attachment 606033

It will work just fine.

Also if you suck the rear bucket strap up only. Id think it would pull it from your butt a little.

I was able to adjust mine slightly rearward and carry it quite low so it isn't such a nightmare ducking under things and haven't had any problems. I have a 5 round magazine which digs into my side with other systems but the gun hasn't been hitting me with this setup. If the pack is empty or close to empty it may become a problem but it has worked well for my application so far.

Did anyone figure out a good setup for the gun bearer? My dad and I both prefer to carry our rifles this way. We both pre ordered the k4’s so have had them for awhile with the plans to make some attachment for the belt side. Well, summer got busy and we didn’t…. So now we are getting ready to leave and might end up running our k3’s as we just don’t like the exo gun carrier for our style. I did run the universal Velcro up through the Molly and it works but my fear is it really won’t be able to support the weight without stretching or damaging it long term.

sr80

WKR
Did anyone figure out a good setup for the gun bearer? My dad and I both prefer to carry our rifles this way. We both pre ordered the k4’s so have had them for awhile with the plans to make some attachment for the belt side. Well, summer got busy and we didn’t…. So now we are getting ready to leave and might end up running our k3’s as we just don’t like the exo gun carrier for our style. I did run the universal Velcro up through the Molly and it works but my fear is it really won’t be able to support the weight without stretching or damaging it long term.
Ive been using the universal gun bearer for longer than i can remember on all my packs and have run it this way on all of them and works great. I also have the K4 system on my pack, but just used to upper portion so i can have the option of carrying it both ways, i have been trying the K4 system this season so far and actually quite like it. But if im still hunting etc i will continue to use the gun bearer system as it is just second nature to me. Just wrap the velcro into that gap between the lumbar and belt and you will not feel it.

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpeg
    IMG_2332.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2333.jpeg
    IMG_2333.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 90
Ive been using the universal gun bearer for longer than i can remember on all my packs and have run it this way on all of them and works great. I also have the K4 system on my pack, but just used to upper portion so i can have the option of carrying it both ways, i have been trying the K4 system this season so far and actually quite like it. But if im still hunting etc i will continue to use the gun bearer system as it is just second nature to me. Just wrap the velcro into that gap between the lumbar and belt and you will not feel it.
The only issue for me running the bottom part like that is I like the rifle to be more vertical which requires the butt piece to be farther forward on the waste belt. With the k4 you can’t wrap it around the belt even if you extended the Velcro as the belt is not uniform in size so it would just slide forward towards the middle. This is how I’m trying it but I feel like this is asking a lot of the webbing.

Attachments

• E5345066-3C30-46D0-B3FF-304D15B821AE.jpeg
    E5345066-3C30-46D0-B3FF-304D15B821AE.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 31926C43-BDA0-4C5D-9C42-027083EBC409.jpeg
    31926C43-BDA0-4C5D-9C42-027083EBC409.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 52

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
The only issue for me running the bottom part like that is I like the rifle to be more vertical which requires the butt piece to be farther forward on the waste belt. With the k4 you can’t wrap it around the belt even if you extended the Velcro as the belt is not uniform in size so it would just slide forward towards the middle. This is how I’m trying it but I feel like this is asking a lot of the webbing.

Wrap it around the belt and the pals.

ChrisAU

WKR

I have the Kifaru specific upper on mind (threaded through the sternum strap tri-glide) and the Exo lower. I also have the Exo upper piece on my pack. Currently the Exo lower is utilizing the rear column of pals on the waist belt and the diagonal section of pals toward the frame. Using it this way allows for a comfortable forward carry, but then if I am lucky enough in a couple weeks to not need the rifle anymore I can move the lower to its designed placement and then have the Exo upper installed to allow me to carry the rifle on the pack. I can take some pics this evening.

lintond

WKR

Let me take some pictures when home but I modified the GB to attach to the molle strip similar to the K4 sling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modified a bit but this is how I do it on the K4. Still able to carry in the forward or pack position. I removed the bigger buckle because for me it hung too low. Has help up well after 12 days sheep hunting and can be used in any of the Molly spots on the belt depending on how the belt wraps around for the user.
196f3839fcd88f0c108404c5fd9b68e9.jpg

38fdabfbc021af89630f5ca75ec9fb70.jpg

sr80

WKR
Oh i see, does the weight of your rifle pulling down on your waist belt not drive you nuts? I feel like its worth a shot doing it back in the corner of the belt. Better than not being able to use your new pack in my opinion.

lintond

WKR

I used my Kifaru specific gunbearer and removed the upper portion with the three bar sliders. I got a new strap adjuster and sewed on a long piece of 1” webbing. Because the Kifaru is a wider strap I made a transition piece to keep the 1” centered. I attached this to the water bottle molle in the same fashion as the K4 sling.

dd34775f59dea752416755e605c5bcfc.jpg

For the upper I sewed a piece of 1” webbing to a three bar, looped the Kifaru attachment thru it, then weaved it up thru the K4 shoulder strap molle.

ee51704f10fcff3e425ce9044b794f1a.jpg

What I like about this is I didn’t permanently modify the original gunbearer. A few cheap pieces of hardware and webbing plus some sewing time. I’m glad I learned to sew in home ec as a kid.

ChrisAU

WKR
Alright, on the Kifaru gun bearer front, I think I’ve found my preferred way.

First, I had it installed on the sternum strap tri-glide the way Kifaru intends it to be used on the three bar slider:

3D3084D6-5C2F-418F-91B8-F891C8FA5EB9.jpeg

This worked fine. But, I did worry about the strength of that split bar on the Exo piece with the gun bearer putting a lot of stress on the split piece. It also tended to make the sternum strap slide down if the whole system wasn’t under stress keeping it in place.

Then I had an idea. I weaved the gun bearer “ear” through the lowest molle section on the shoulder strap and then through a 3 bar slider. Getting the tab back through the top of the three bar slider required a pick, it is tight.

33429651-1198-46B4-AD4E-2BD7F49399E7.jpeg

I then tucked the top of the tab into the next slot:

6A983B57-BCBC-4EE3-81F6-6F6EEA02C1C4.jpeg

I then tested it by pulling the pack up by nothing but the gun bearer upper. The pack has about 45 pounds in it here:

C0110029-2630-462C-A4ED-814E3D83EE08.jpeg

Yeah. I think this is going to be the ticket. As noted earlier, I still have the Exo setup on the upper strap of the pack and I’m using their lower. So if I want to go to the pack carry it’s no problem.

Side note, I found the perfect use for the angled stuff pockets on the side of the pack, have my rain jacket and pack cover in one side, and my Seek Gunnison tarp in the other. All my inclement weather gear ready to go and quickly accessible without even taking the pack off first.

ChrisAU

WKR
Here is how I have the Exo lower installed for forward carry for anyone curious:

0D456945-9B67-4E9B-8457-B94F185E3B57.jpeg

And got the 3600 all loaded up for 7 days/6 nights at 39.4 lbs with everything but weapon. Love this setup.

F073D200-96A9-42E4-9F97-42B7D52A5B82.jpeg