Exo Mountain K4?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Been using the crib for most of the summer. Now that ive started to play with the bag a little. I have a bunch of dangling strap ends. What are you fellas doing loose ends?

Either that or i don't have something set right, cause it's just seems excessive in places.

ChrisAU

WKR
Been using the crib for most of the summer. Now that ive started to play with the bag a little. I have a bunch of dangling strap ends. What are you fellas doing loose ends?

Either that or i don't have something set right, cause it's just seems excessive in places.

I use Kifaru one wrap pieces in mine, but Exo sells an equivalent. I just like the tan color from Kifaru for them ha.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved

I use Kifaru one wrap pieces in mine, but Exo sells an equivalent. I just like the tan color from Kifaru for them ha.

You can pick up a roll of double sided Velcro at most hardware stores and make your own strap keepers by cutting it to length.

To everyone who has had trouble with the K4 lumbar pad slipping. I had a small breakthrough on my K4. I have been switching back and forth between a K4 and a Kifaru tactical doing sandbag training. I am trying to see which I prefer. I had been having some difficulty with the K4 lumbar pad riding down and causing pain on my butt. After watching the last video by K4, regarding the 3 mistakes (thank you Exo for the great instructions!) (I watched all the fit videos previously, some more than once), I realized my problem with the lumbar pad was actually caused by my load lifters. When I was re-fitting the K4, trying to dial it in, I realized if you over tighten the load lifters, the way the frame sits (at least on my back), it would actually pull the frame at the top towards my shoulders and would act as a fulcrum causing the opposite effect on the lumbar pad. It essentially attempts to pull the lumbar pad off my back as the top of the frame moves closer, the bottom moves away. It isn't dramatic meaning the lumbar pad is not touching my back. I still have lumbar pad contact, but it is enough to cause the pad to slide down. It was in the fit video, and I missed it the first time, but only tightening the load lifters to tension is key. I was over tightening. The effect is more pronounced as you load the bag up. It's not noticeable empty, but under my sandbag load of 60lbs I could feel tension trying to pull the lumbar pad off the back. I think this is due to the way the carbon fiber stays are curved. I don't have a super curved back, so maybe this effect is more exaggerated for some body styles.

Anyway, after changing my load lifter tension and really only tightening to remove slack, maybe a bit more, I had a much better experience with the lumbar pad sitting nice. I didn't feel slippage. My neighborhood training run was the best so far. I'm still tweaking things hear and there, but it's much better.

Perhaps those who struggled with slippage might evaluate the load lifter tension. I don't think this is a silver bullet for all the slippage issues that each person might have, but it could be a partial cause. FWIW I prefer a larger and firmer lumbar pad as well. Before recognizing my mistake I was looking to make the K4 lumbar pad more firm and larger, which I now think was trying to compensate for the pull away from my back.

JNDEER

WKR
To everyone who has had trouble with the K4 lumbar pad slipping. I had a small breakthrough on my K4. I have been switching back and forth between a K4 and a Kifaru tactical doing sandbag training. I am trying to see which I prefer. I had been having some difficulty with the K4 lumbar pad riding down and causing pain on my butt. After watching the last video by K4, regarding the 3 mistakes (thank you Exo for the great instructions!) (I watched all the fit videos previously, some more than once), I realized my problem with the lumbar pad was actually caused by my load lifters. When I was re-fitting the K4, trying to dial it in, I realized if you over tighten the load lifters, the way the frame sits (at least on my back), it would actually pull the frame at the top towards my shoulders and would act as a fulcrum causing the opposite effect on the lumbar pad. It essentially attempts to pull the lumbar pad off my back as the top of the frame moves closer, the bottom moves away. It isn't dramatic meaning the lumbar pad is not touching my back. I still have lumbar pad contact, but it is enough to cause the pad to slide down. It was in the fit video, and I missed it the first time, but only tightening the load lifters to tension is key. I was over tightening. The effect is more pronounced as you load the bag up. It's not noticeable empty, but under my sandbag load of 60lbs I could feel tension trying to pull the lumbar pad off the back. I think this is due to the way the carbon fiber stays are curved. I don't have a super curved back, so maybe this effect is more exaggerated for some body styles.

Anyway, after changing my load lifter tension and really only tightening to remove slack, maybe a bit more, I had a much better experience with the lumbar pad sitting nice. I didn't feel slippage. My neighborhood training run was the best so far. I'm still tweaking things hear and there, but it's much better.

Perhaps those who struggled with slippage might evaluate the load lifter tension. I don't think this is a silver bullet for all the slippage issues that each person might have, but it could be a partial cause. FWIW I prefer a larger and firmer lumbar pad as well. Before recognizing my mistake I was looking to make the K4 lumbar pad more firm and larger, which I now think was trying to compensate for the pull away from my back.

Thanks for this advice- I get use to “cranking” the lid lifters when I got 60+ in it to get more weight on my waist- never thought it would be too much. I will have to test that theory out.

You can also temporarily use sticky Velcro on a kifaru lumbar pad to test that on a EXO belt. Ultimately this is what I had to do then permanently sewed on Velcro to a kifaru lumbar pad and use it on the EXO belt. My back needed more and wider contact to avoid the belt from sliding down too far. Despite that- I still had some slippage on the pack out of this guy.

Attachments

• IMG_7318.jpeg
    IMG_7318.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 115

rclouse79

WKR
I finally shot my first elk with my bow yesterday. I already loved my k4, but after packing meat with it I am amazed. I have probably averaged multi animals in the pack over 20 or so years and I have never felt the type of comfort I experienced yesterday. There were times I almost forgot I was carrying weight until a piece of deadfall or uphill reminded me.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Did a mock pack for my upcoming Mid Oct rifle hunt with my 5000 today (just got all my food settled).

I did wind up “clampetting” a bit with my crocs and gaiters, and I wasn’t stoked with how having the side pockets loaded up affected the side stretch pockets. With a Swaro ATC on one side and a sitting pad on the other it eliminated my ability to use those exterior pockets for tripod and trekking poles.

It made me look at the 7200 and man, for only 2 oz penalty in debating on getting the extra main bag space so the spotter and a little bit of other stuff can go in there.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I finally shot my first elk with my bow yesterday. I already loved my k4, but after packing meat with it I am amazed. I have probably averaged multi animals in the pack over 20 or so years and I have never felt the type of comfort I experienced yesterday. There were times I almost forgot I was carrying weight until a piece of deadfall or uphill reminded me.
Congratulations!

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@ExoMtnGear Not sure if it's been discussed before, but any way to use the K3 belt on the k4 frame/pack? I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the k3 belt.

WhiskeyDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’d have to trim the bottom of the k4 stays to make them closer to the diameter and shape of the k3 tubular design. I’m sure it *could* be done, but I’m also sure it would severely weaken the stays.

prm

WKR
Did a mock pack for my upcoming Mid Oct rifle hunt with my 5000 today (just got all my food settled).

I did wind up “clampetting” a bit with my crocs and gaiters, and I wasn’t stoked with how having the side pockets loaded up affected the side stretch pockets. With a Swaro ATC on one side and a sitting pad on the other it eliminated my ability to use those exterior pockets for tripod and trekking poles.

It made me look at the 7200 and man, for only 2 oz penalty in debating on getting the extra main bag space so the spotter and a little bit of other stuff can go in there.

How many days worth? I got everything for a CO 1st rifle in my 3600. I did use a bag on the load shelf, but there wasn’t much in it. Just some flat stuff so it wouldn’t push main bag out. I do not carry a spotter though. With sleeping bag on the bottom, the rest all fit in the main bag.

IMG_2817.jpeg
IMG_2819.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
How many days worth? I got everything for a CO 1st rifle in my 3600. I did use a bag on the load shelf, but there wasn’t much in it. Just some flat stuff so it wouldn’t push main bag out. I do not carry a spotter though. With sleeping bag on the bottom, the rest all fit in the main bag.

View attachment 598221
View attachment 598220

7 days / 6 nights with all my food, bag, tent, everything in the bag. I’ve thought of a couple adjustments that should fix me right up.

Reactions: prm

lintond

WKR

What I’ve found is the more space I have the more crap I bring. So I’ve been downsizing my bags to keep me honest. My friends know I’m good at bringing gadgets. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ExoMtnGear

Can you please explain how the stretch pocket is supposed to be used on the 7200? It seems like the zipper is on the wrong side, and with only 1 zipper pull I found it was frequently necessary to undo a cross strap and one lid buckle to actually get into the "quick" access stretch pocket. I tried for a week and couldn't figure out a convenient way to use that pocket, what am I missing?

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a field photo of a k4 7200 doing what it was meant to do….haul weight (about 120lbs in the pic). The bag and frame performed flawlessly over my 10-day hunt.

de919492dfbc21711878ec6882a32925.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ExoMtnGear

Can you please explain how the stretch pocket is supposed to be used on the 7200? It seems like the zipper is on the wrong side, and with only 1 zipper pull I found it was frequently necessary to undo a cross strap and one lid buckle to actually get into the "quick" access stretch pocket. I tried for a week and couldn't figure out a convenient way to use that pocket, what am I missing?
It would, IMO, benefit from another zipper pull.

In looking for a bigger bag to fit on a SG X Curve, I fell down the K4 rabbit hole. For those of you who have experience with the K4 and Stone Glacier (specifically the X Curve frame), do you think the K4 is worth the additional cost of the EXO frame, or would you just recommend getting a bigger SG bag?
I had the Krux and the SG belt was horrible on my hips over 40 pounds. I tried multiple sizes of belts and nothing helped. I would have bruises on the points of my hips after relatively short hikes. The K4 is much better for me. If you aren't happy with heavy weight in the SG then I think K4 would be worth a try.

I have an xcurve 6200 and a k4 7200. For me, weight bearing is a wash, but the k4 bag is much better laid out for hunting. I would and have happily worn both, but the k4 is the current favorite.