Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I used one of the prototype K4 7200 packs all of last fall and just received the K4 3600 to review. Most of my experience that I'll talk about will be with the prototype, but we wanted the production model included as well so I can note some of the differences. My review will post at the time of the official launch in March.

***Update 3/28/23*** Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review

20230212_115220.jpg

Let me know your questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I used one of the prototype K4 7200 packs all of last fall and just received the K4 3600 to review. Most of my experience that I'll talk about will be with the prototype, but we wanted the production model included as well so I can note some of the differences. My review will post at the time of the official launch in March. Be sure to follow this forum thread so you'll be notified when @S&S ARCHERY posts the early access link if you want to get your order in one day before the public.

View attachment 515740

Let me know your questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.
I’m sure you’re a busy man, so to help you, feel free to send me that pack for review. Happy to run a bunch of loads around my local mountains and give you feedback. A sacrifice I know, but I’m here to help! ;)

judders87

FNG
It was mentioned that the K3 Ivory Holster would fit. Do the current clips fit on the molle hip belt panel? How comfortable is reaching into the angled stretch pocket? Does a FHF nav pouch fit well on the angled molle?

It was mentioned that the K3 Ivory Holster would fit. Do the current clips fit on the molle hip belt panel? How comfortable is reaching into the angled stretch pocket? Does a FHF nav pouch fit well on the angled molle?
I think you need the new molle clips that Ivory sells on their website.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Is it worth upgrading in your opinion over the k3?
That's a question only you can answer. The K3 has worked very well for me and I didn't experience any belt slippage. With that said, the new harness is better IMO. I would recommend using the funds for something else if the K3 works well for you.

I'm not familiar with the older version of the Ivory Holster but I believe, as mentioned above, you would need the new clips.

The angled stretch pocket is accessible with the pack on for most people. Unless you have limited range in your shoulders or possibly if you have the pack stuffed to the max.

I haven't tried the FHF pouch but I would expect it to fit.

BrentH

WKR
Since it looks like you took the 7200 on a variety of hunts, was there ever a time you wished you had less bag?

I really like the layout of the 3600 and 7200, and not sure the 3600 would always be enough.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Since it looks like you took the 7200 on a variety of hunts, was there ever a time you wished you had less bag?

I really like the layout of the 3600 and 7200, and not sure the 3600 would always be enough.
I can't say I ever wished I had less. But I also think the 3600 would work for almost all of my hunts.

I'm looking forward to packing everything in the 3600 to see how it all fits. I'll update this thread with photos and details once I try it.

I can't say I ever wished I had less. But I also think the 3600 would work for almost all of my hunts.

I'm looking forward to packing everything in the 3600 to see how it all fits. I'll update this thread with photos and details once I try it.
Justin, when you say 3600 should work for most of your hunts. Would you take the 3600 on a 7-day early season archery hunt? warm weather, no extra clothes and using a quilt.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, when you say 3600 should work for most of your hunts. Would you take the 3600 on a 7-day early season archery hunt? warm weather, no extra clothes and using a quilt.
In the past, it could depend on what I'm hunting. For example, I don't need a spotter and tripod if I'm hunting archery elk in the timber. I do carry those if I'm hunting deer or bears.

I'm planning to load the K4 3600 up with all my gear to determine exactly what I can get out of it. I'll make a full list of all the items and where/how they fit in the pack. I think that will help a lot of people decide what size will work best for them and their packing style.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
20230216_164809.jpg

This is all the stuff I would take on an early-season deer hunt if expecting good weather.
In the main bag:
Kuiu 1P Tent
30* Zpacks quilt
Thermarest Neoair Uberlight pad
Air Pillow
Arc'teryx Puffy
Sitka Ambient Jacket
Kuiu Zip long-johns
Sitka rain jacket (Don't think they make it anymore)
Extra socks
Merino Gloves
Beanie
Jetboil and spoon
Kill Kit
Sawyer squeeze mini water filter with two 64 oz bags
Shooting bag
Bullets
Battery Pack
A pillow was used in place of the food I would pack for 5 days.

20230216_164922.jpg

20230216_165028.jpg

In the side pockets:
Swaro 20-60x80mm ATS Spotter
Gitzo tripod
Spartan Davros Head
Spartan Bipod
TP

20230216_165221.jpg

In the lid and belt pouch:
Novagrade Digiscoping adapter
Tyto knife
Headlamp
First aid and possibles pouch

20230216_170820.jpg

Last edited:

BrentH

WKR
Thanks for doing that! Couple questions:

How much room is left for food? Obviously it would vary from person to person, but how many days worth of food do you think you could still get in there?

I’m assuming that is an 80mm spotter? With that in the side pocket, is there still enough room in the stretch pocket to put your tripod on the same side (I’m not sure which side you put the spotter in)?