Exo Mountain K4?

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My previous pack was a Kifaru. After about ten years the anti-slip material on the lumbar pad came off. I sent it back to Kifaru and they replaced the material and put in a new lumbar pad. When I put the pack on, the new lumber pad felt freaking huge, even though it replaced what was originally there. The new pad never bothered me when I was using the pack with weight, and after a trip or two it just felt normal again.
It is nice that exo has different foams for people with different body types, but my guess is the original might feel better with time. I would guess the goal is to hit the sweet spot after the foam compresses, not when it is brand new.
I suspect you are probably right. I put about 50lbs on it overnight to accelerate the break in process; we will see how it goes. Overall very pleased with the pack, Exo did a great job making the K4.

Vandal 44

WKR
So I went on a 3.5 mile hike this morning with the new K-4. I loaded it up just like I would for a day hunt. 4 liters of water, kill kit, first add kit, puffy, game bags, for the food I just put in a 2.5 pound weight. The total pack weighted about 18 pounds.

The K-4 did feel better with weight in the pack. In my opinion this pack will need a break-in period, just like a pair of boots. I think the padding that EXO uses on the K-4 is a little stiffer and more dense than the SG. The verdict is still out on this pack. I will need to put another 10 hours or about 30 more miles with 18 - 25 pounds in it. followed up by two or three heavy packs trips

I really like the bag and lid layout of the 5000 bag

Does anyone have a picture of ranger green pack/frame with coyote brown hipbelt pouch? Deciding on the hipbelt pouch colorway that will go well with ranger green pack/frame.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I'll have to give it time and use to have a true verdict, but so far it fixes everything I did not like about K3 and then some. As of now I have only worn it around the house and gone for one 2.5 mi walk, both with a 65 lb sandbag. So, need to see how it does with a heavy load as well as get some full days in under it.

My only major gripe with K3 was the 3 piece hip belt. I was not a fan of the velcro wings for bag attachment either.

Improvements that I did not think about
- obviously the nalgene holder
- I prefer the slots for shoulder strap attachment over the metal hooks on K3
- the frame stays stick up enough I can now hook a rifle sling to the frame (this is something I like with my Seek Outside packs)
- the flex of the carbon stays means cranking down on the load lifters with heavy loads does not results in as much compression of my body against the frame
- the zip side pockets are full length and will likely see more use than the K3 and K2 full length side pockets did
- that extra pocket on the side for easy access are an awesome idea
- I really like how the bag attaches to the top of the frame

It is better than K3, but as someone who does not use a lid much, I wish there was a good way to detach the lid straps from the frame. This is kind of picking at OCD flies though.

I need to play with the torso length a bit more and with shorter stays.

Last edited:
since I haven't seen anyone else mention it - the 26.5" K4 pack is extremely tall. Side by side with my X-curve (26" advertised), it's a full 1.5"+ taller. I'm not exactly sure how either company is measuring, or what the industry standard is, but I was shocked by the extent of the difference, it's not even close to a 1/2".

wnelson14

WKR
since I haven't seen anyone else mention it - the 26.5" K4 pack is extremely tall. Side by side with my X-curve (26" advertised), it's a full 1.5"+ taller. I'm not exactly sure how either company is measuring, or what the industry standard is, but I was shocked by the extent of the difference, it's not even close to a 1/2".
I agree I had a SG (sold it) and the 25” EXO k4 frame seems taller,
ordered a 23.5” to compare (

ljalberta

WKR
ordered a 23.5” to compare (
I have a 23.5 at home and an Xcurve and Terminus. I’ll throw a tape on and measure.

I am currently thinking about swapping the 23.5 for a 25 and then trimming down. The 23.5 seems about half an inch to short when really weighted up for me.

ljalberta

WKR
I have a 23.5 at home and an Xcurve and Terminus. I’ll throw a tape on and measure.

I am currently thinking about swapping the 23.5 for a 25 and then trimming down. The 23.5 seems about half an inch to short when really weighted up for me.

So the SG is at 26”. The 23.5” Exo is about 24” on my tape, but that last bit on the Exo might be unsupported bag on top of the stays.

It’s worth noting that the SG lifters come straight from the top of the pack, while the Exo lifters come from a little lower.

I might be swapping to the 25” Exo stays and trimming down to 24-24.5” and I think that might be the ticket for me.

Great first impressions on the K4. I like having the SG Terminus for super weight savings while chasing sheep. But I think I’m really going to enjoy a little bit of a shorter frame height (and what seems like some well refined design points) for chasing elk, moose, deer and just about everything else that isn’t hanging out above the tree line.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
took turns putting my 5 year old and my 7 year old in the bag today for fun and walking around the house a bit. pretty dang comfortable, even with a load that likes to shift around.

So the SG is at 26”. The 23.5” Exo is about 24” on my tape, but that last bit on the Exo might be unsupported bag on top of the stays.

It’s worth noting that the SG lifters come straight from the top of the pack, while the Exo lifters come from a little lower.

I might be swapping to the 25” Exo stays and trimming down to 24-24.5” and I think that might be the ticket for me.

Great first impressions on the K4. I like having the SG Terminus for super weight savings while chasing sheep. But I think I’m really going to enjoy a little bit of a shorter frame height (and what seems like some well refined design points) for chasing elk, moose, deer and just about everything else that isn’t hanging out above the tree line.
How tall are you?

So I went on a 3.5 mile hike this morning with the new K-4. I loaded it up just like I would for a day hunt. 4 liters of water, kill kit, first add kit, puffy, game bags, for the food I just put in a 2.5 pound weight. The total pack weighted about 18 pounds.

The K-4 did feel better with weight in the pack. In my opinion this pack will need a break-in period, just like a pair of boots. I think the padding that EXO uses on the K-4 is a little stiffer and more dense than the SG. The verdict is still out on this pack. I will need to put another 10 hours or about 30 more miles with 18 - 25 pounds in it. followed up by two or three heavy packs trips

I really like the bag and lid layout of the 5000 bag

I am fully expecting a handful of initial reviews like this and that's why I mentioned in the fitting video that the pack requires some break in.

I personally fall into the camp of a brand new K4 feels a little too stiff to me at first. Some guys are going to love how that feels and others will feel like it's too firm. Put 50-60lbs in the pack and do some training hikes, after about 10 miles of use the foams will start to soften up and mold to you.

I am using much firmer, and also longer lasting, foams in the K4. A K3 feels as good as it's ever going to feel right out of the box where as peak K4 performance is probably after 20+ days in the field. It will just keep getting better and better for you.

I want guys to give the more dense lumbar pad a good test run and if after some break in they still feel like there is too much pressure we have a handful of softer foams where can send out to try. They will feel significantly different (less pressure) than the current foam. Out of all the testers we had of K4 prototypes I only had 1 guy request that softer foam though.

Also don't be shy to play with the torso adjustment in small increments during a hike. I would hike for 1-2 miles with 60lbs and then stop and move the harness up or down 1/2", then repeat. There is a sweet spot in there where it's going to feel really good. The K4 harness is a little bit more finicky on getting the torso set just right, it has to do with the rigidity of the harness connection to the frame panel. Even if you're happy with how it feels I encourage guys to play with it during that initial break in period.

Steve

TheViking

WKR
I am fully expecting a handful of initial reviews like this and that's why I mentioned in the fitting video that the pack requires some break in.

I personally fall into the camp of a brand new K4 feels a little too stiff to me at first. Some guys are going to love how that feels and others will feel like it's too firm. Put 50-60lbs in the pack and do some training hikes, after about 10 miles of use the foams will start to soften up and mold to you.

I am using much firmer, and also longer lasting, foams in the K4. A K3 feels as good as it's ever going to feel right out of the box where as peak K4 performance is probably after 20+ days in the field. It will just keep getting better and better for you.

I want guys to give the more dense lumbar pad a good test run and if after some break in they still feel like there is too much pressure we have a handful of softer foams where can send out to try. They will feel significantly different (less pressure) than the current foam. Out of all the testers we had of K4 prototypes I only had 1 guy request that softer foam though.

Also don't be shy to play with the torso adjustment in small increments during a hike. I would hike for 1-2 miles with 60lbs and then stop and move the harness up or down 1/2", then repeat. There is a sweet spot in there where it's going to feel really good. The K4 harness is a little bit more finicky on getting the torso set just right, it has to do with the rigidity of the harness connection to the frame panel. Even if you're happy with how it feels I encourage guys to play with it during that initial break in period.

Steve

Your review is identical to my initial review.

A little stiff, and torso adjustment is definitely finicky. My initial hike I straight up didn’t like it, but I went back and tweaked a few things and it felt better (shoulder strap wise).

I have some more testing to do, verdict is still out.

That said, it’s an insanely high quality pack! The frame, materials and construction blow everything else on the market out of the water.

I'm sure how each company measures frame height varies, we have always measured the overall height of the frame once installed into the pack and start from the bottom of the lumbar pad. Photo attached for reference.

K4 does sit higher on the body than K3 and because under weight any slipping is drastically reduced it's going to be 1-1.5" taller.

IMG_7661.jpeg