Exo Mountain K4?

fishslap

WKR
Anyone have a comparison of belt sizes between kifaru and exo? I measure out clearly as medium for exo but I wear a small in kifaru and it cinches down without much left on heavier loads.

sr80

WKR
Anyone have a comparison of belt sizes between kifaru and exo? I measure out clearly as medium for exo but I wear a small in kifaru and it cinches down without much left on heavier loads.
I used to wear a small Kifaru. Medium exo fits me great. I would follow their sizing chart.

They have a good size chart and more belt sizes with lots of overlap… you could message mark or Steve and get it figured out easily too. I wear a small in both but the kifaru small is almost too big with just a thin merino shirt and a heavy load… I have more wiggle room on the k4, so assume you would be a medium in k4 but I don’t want to speak out of place… they will have more accurate info for you, and their size chart will probably give you a confident answer

huntnful

WKR
I’ve done two hikes so far with about 60lbs, immediately I can tell the slipping issue I had with the K3 is gone. It feels very similar to my kifaru in terms of hip belt and suspension, with the suspension being maybe a little more finicky to get just right than the kifaru but I’m 99% sure it’s just still getting broken in. Comfort is top notch though and the shoulder straps are leaps and bounds better than the kifaru shoulder straps which have always bothered me for a variety of reasons.

I’ve been carrying a full Nalgene in the Nalgene pocket and it’s been awesome. I can feel the slight off balance in the frame which surprised me, but it’s not to the level of being annoying or worrisome.

I need to make a video of these gatekeeper ladder locks operating one handed with gloves and a time comparison vs the provided ladder locks. For things like lid removal and bag removal I’m pretty sure you all will be shocked how much faster they are and easy to operate one handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are you removing the lid so often for? I never removed mine once in the full season of testing. Sometimes hunt with it and sometimes without it?

Thanks guys for the comments on belt sizing. I have an order already placed for medium so I’ll stick with that. I think the kifaru belt sizing is a little big from what I recall.
I called them with the same question I they said to follow their chart and if it ends up not working you can swap out belts.

I need to make a video of these gatekeeper ladder locks operating one handed with gloves and a time comparison vs the provided ladder locks. For things like lid removal and bag removal I’m pretty sure you all will be shocked how much faster they are and easy to operate one handed.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a video on this.

Vandal 44

WKR
Man y’all should be getting a commission! I’m a pretty die hard SG guy but am tempted every time I recheck this thread 😂 haven’t gotten me yet though…. Good looking pack!
I really like my Stone Glacier X-Curve Frame. I ordered the new K-4 with the 5000 Bag it came to the house this afternoon spent some time with both the SG and the K-4. The SG fits me like a glove, The K-4 lumbar pad is a little to bulky and stiff for my liking. I will contact the EXO tomorrow and have them send me out the other lumbar pad.

I have the SG Sky 5900 bag and it ok there are several things I would change. I really like the K-4 5000 bag and lid, its very well thought out with great features. I tried to put the EXO 5000 bag on the X-curve frame but its a no go.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like my Stone Glacier X-Curve Frame. I ordered the new K-4 with the 5000 Bag it came to the house this afternoon spent some time with both the SG and the K-4. The SG fits me like a glove, The K-4 lumbar pad is a little to bulky and stiff for my liking. I will contact the EXO tomorrow and have them send me out the other lumbar pad.

I have the SG Sky 5900 bag and it ok there are several things I would change. I really like the K-4 5000 bag and lid, its very well thought out with great features. I tried to put the EXO 5000 bag on the X-curve frame but its a no go.
I don't know if there is another lumbar pad for the K4. The K3 has two, the replacement pad on the K3 was firmer.

They might be able to put a softer pad together for you. The current pad will break in and soften up with use though.

What are you removing the lid so often for? I never removed mine once in the full season of testing. Sometimes hunt with it and sometimes without it?

Ya a variety of reasons. When hunting the biggest reason is because I’ve always used lids as a little throw on approach pack when I go on a stalk. I keep my stalking shoes, water, etc in there and then can stuff my boots halfway in when I decide to take them off so I always have them on me. A lot like the kifaru bane concept.

At home I use the pack for rucking and exercising and don’t like the lid on when I do that. But I do that once or twice a week and I like to leave the lid on when I store it so it’s all together.

Its just as tight to the bag, doesn’t add weight, and is easy on off. I’ll take a video and share it soon I think it’ll make more sense if you can see it in action.

slowelk

WKR

Having used SG exclusively since 2016, but now owning a K4, my initial reaction was the same as you about the lumbar pad - it’s huge compared to the SG, and the empty pack felt uncomfortable. Put some weight in it, fiddle with the fit and it will start to make sense. The K4 lumbar pad once under weight is more comfortable and sticks to you like glue.

They also say the k4 has a break-in period, so that foam should soften and start to form to your body.

I’m not going to say I like it more than my few iterations of SG, but I wanted to share that my initial reaction was the same as you, but I’m starting to figure out the exo.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The SG fits me like a glove, The K-4 lumbar pad is a little to bulky and stiff for my liking. I will contact the EXO tomorrow and have them send me out the other lumbar pad.
Having used SG exclusively since 2016, but now owning a K4, my initial reaction was the same as you about the lumbar pad - it’s huge compared to the SG, and the empty pack felt uncomfortable. Put some weight in it, fiddle with the fit and it will start to make sense. The K4 lumbar pad once under weight is more comfortable and sticks to you like glue.

They also say the k4 has a break-in period, so that foam should soften and start to form to your body.
Vandall, as slowelk said, give the lumbar pad a little bit of time. I understand the first impression you have, but let's do a few weighted hikes first before we look at swapping the lumbar. It is true that the lumbar will feel different with weight and that there is a little bit of a break-in. One you settle into it, it is likely that you'll love it.

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions/concerns though!

sr80

WKR
I felt the same way about the lumbar when i first put it on at home, it kind of felt like the top edge of the lumbar was diggng into my back. and when i took off the pack it felt like when i took the pack off i could still feel the lumbar pressing on my back. But yesterday out hiking i didn't notice that feeling, with more weight in my pack it felt like i had full contact from that lumbar. I cut my stay down half and inch and re adjusted my torso length and it feels better yet.

prm

WKR
I thought it felt rather firm when I first put it on. But once I put some weight in the pack and went for a hike it felt fine.

Graves14

WKR
I'm definitely going to try your idea at the bottom of the bag to see how much slop it adds. It might not be worth it for how often I am going to removing the bag though it only takes 30 seconds to thread the straps. I think for the lid it wouldn't save enough time to be worth it to me BUT it might be cool if there was a loop at the frame connection for the lid straps with a gatekeeper or g-hook there so you could remove that whole strap when not using the lid which would help my OCD, maybe the lid straps on the bag as well if you wanted to minimalize or customize. I don't know if you can have too many tab loops on a frame or pack. That being said I am being very nitpicky because the strap setup is still much cleaner than any of the other packs I was considering and very well thought out.

View attachment 539645

Feed the lid strap through one of the unused harness slots like the one next to your thumb in the picture and it will be out of the way sandwiched between the frame and bag.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
How are you guys cutting down the stays? Hack saw? Zip disc? Are you cutting from the top or bottom?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How are you guys cutting down the stays? Hack saw? Zip disc? Are you cutting from the top or bottom?
Earlier it was said an angle grinder with a cutoff disk.

A half inch, just take it off the top. More than that and take it equally from top and bottom.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The big three packs companies (Exo, Kifaru, SG) all make great packs and all have something about them I like more than the others. In my opinion SG got it right with the lumbar pad.
If I could throw a SG lumbar on a K4 I think it would be perfect.
The K4 lumbar pad in my very limited use, puts a lot of pressure on my lower back; I like a firm lumbar just not so thick and bulky. SG pad is firm but is thinner and sits nicely on the lower back and holds firm.

rclouse79

WKR

I have the SG Sky 5900 bag and it ok there are several things I would change. I really like the K-4 5000 bag and lid, it’s very well thought out with great features. I tried to put the EXO 5000 bag on the X-curve frame but its

The big three packs companies (Exo, Kifaru, SG) all make great packs and all have something about them I like more than the others. In my opinion SG got it right with the lumbar pad.
If I could throw a SG lumbar on a K4 I think it would be perfect.
The K4 lumbar pad in my very limited use, puts a lot of pressure on my lower back; I like a firm lumbar just not so thick and bulky. SG pad is firm but is thinner and sits nicely on the lower back and holds firm.
My previous pack was a Kifaru. After about ten years the anti-slip material on the lumbar pad came off. I sent it back to Kifaru and they replaced the material and put in a new lumbar pad. When I put the pack on the new lumber pad felt freaking huge, even though it replaced what was originally there. The new pad never bothered me when I was using the pack with weight, and after a trip or two it just felt normal again.
It is nice that exo has different foams for people with different body types, but my guess is the original might feel better with time. I would guess the goal is to hit the sweet spot after the foam compresses, not when it is brand new.

Last edited: