Exo Mountain K4?

rclouse79

WKR
I have become a big fan of the locking buckles. I started by adding the one that came with the pack, and over two trips to the shop I replaced them all. I also added Velcro wrap through the loops at the end of all the straps to keep them rolled up, similar to what came on the frame straps. The two straps from the bottom of the pack didn’t have a loop, so I sewed them in. The pack seems way more tidy with all of the straps rolled up.

I have become a big fan of the locking buckles. I started by adding the one that came with the pack, and over two trips to the shop I replaced them all. I also added Velcro wrap through the loops at the end of all the straps to keep them rolled up, similar to what came on the frame straps. The two straps from the bottom of the pack didn’t have a loop, so I sewed them in. The pack seems way more tidy with all of the straps rolled up.
Where did you get the Velcro?

Velcro One Wrap 3/4" width. Cut whatever length you need.
8a1b9a08e39c293aaca5ac0a98e1b6c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

First of all, bow spider is new to me… seems a few of you guys think pretty highly of them so I’ll give it a look.

There’s a lot of talk about harness adjustments and micro adjustments, and I’m curious to get some feedback on what queues you’re taking from fitment or your body to inform your proper fitment.

I’m also seeing the same that the K4 does not slip under load, which is great and not easy to do for me with a relatively flat back. I’ve been hiking with 60# just to get a feel for proper placement. Far more than my pack will weigh aside from pack out, but a decent training load. If I set the center of hip belt at my iliac crests, I encounter quite a bit of fatigue at my hip flexors. If I raise the belt higher, that seems to dissipate, but also feels like the pack is sitting really high. I think in all honesty I’ve traditionally worn my pack a bit too low to avoid skin pinching between top of pants/belt and bottom of hip belt.

What do you generally feel within your body to indicate the pack is too high or too low? At what point do you determine “perfect” height for your body?
If you are getting hip flexor fatigue, it’s for sure too long. I probably go a little shorter than most and like to wear my hip belt slightly higher on me hips, but you shouldn’t have any hip flexor fatigue, but I also don’t have the belt pinch either. What kind of belt do you wear?

I think there is a range where you won’t get hip flexor problems or belt pinch. With 60# you will have a little bit of weight on your shoulder straps too, but not enough to cause any fatigue

Last edited:

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
We’re you wearing a shirt that was rough or had a seam on your hip etc? That can also I’ve a big effect on surface level irritation like you described. I packed a whole bull 5mi from treeline over I think 3 trips and was wearing a Sitka core lightweight hoody and I swear it was like sand paper on my skin by the last load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gym shorts with a flat waistband and liner, t shirt tucked in the back. The shirt could have bunched in that area.

Making another long hike with it this afternoon. I’ll pay more attention to it this time.

I just received my pack and it definitely feels more bomber and burly than the K2 and K3. I was in the camp that loved the stiffer lumbar foam on the K3 so this stiffer feel on the K4 right out of the box was money.

One thing I noticed was the tamper of the bag seemed the same to me as the previous K3 bags meaning the bottom was less wide as the top of the bag. Early on in this thread I believe Steve stated that the taper is a little less on the K4 than the K3. Again, not a deal breaker by any means but that has been my only complaint really on the exo bags is the taper. Its money for just stuffing your sleeping bag in loose without stuff sack, but I do not always do that.
Welp last night put a sandbag in the K4, weighed 53lbs on the scale. Went for a couple mile hike and was blown away at how well this pack stick to your back in comfort. I have said it since K3 if steve ever figures out the slipping issue; Exo will be best hunting pack. Well, well Mr Speck did it. I have used KUIU, KIfaru, Exo and Stone Glacier extensively. The K4 frame is head and shoulders above them all.

I finally got the k3 pretty dialed last year with the stiffer foam, but this k4 takes it to a new level.

Well done, Exo!!

Echo

FNG
I, too, fell enamored with the k4 marketing and quickly purchased a k4 3600.

I received it early this week and took it out today for a short 2 mile walk with a 35 lb plate. It felt amazing. I need to up the weight to get a better replication of a serious load. However, before this I had a Metcalf that I used for a few seasons - including trainfing with that same 35 lb weight. This felt way better. No slipping, no hip discomfort, no complaints. I’m excited to break it in more and get the fit dialed. Oh, and to (hopefully) get lucky enough to pack an animal or two out with it.

One interesting change with the k4 is the classic comfort I have always liked with exo in hunting mode, but tighten everything up and it turns into a very stable solid feel and gets that rigid feeling, stuck in place, like part of your back. It locks in a load as well as any pack I have ever worn… it’s quite impressive… literally best of both worlds.

The lower stays in place better than any pack I have worn too, I don’t have to cinch the belt uncomfortably tight to maintain position, and with all of that surface area there is zero abrasion anywhere, it just stays put completely

After spending several more days wearing it, I continue liking it more the more I wear it. Next weekend I’m heading east to put a bunch more miles on it in the blue mountains for 4 days

eltaco

WKR
If you are getting hip flexor fatigue, it’s for sure too long. I probably go a little shorter than most and like to wear my hip belt slightly higher on me hips, but you shouldn’t have any hip flexor fatigue, but I also don’t have the belt pinch either. What kind of belt do you wear?

I think there is a range where you won’t get hip flexor problems or belt pinch. With 60# you will have a little bit of weight on your shoulder straps too, but not enough to cause any fatigue

Thanks Roosie,

I ended up going to a 25” stay which is clearly a much better fit for me. With the belt sitting up higher, the hip fatigue goes away (my PT wife corrected me, it was glut med).

I almost always hike with KUIU attack pants with a KUIU climbing belt. If I tuck my shirt in, it definitely helps a lot, but if I forget to tuck it in I encounter pinching and/or skin wear in front of my hips with heavy loads and/or long hikes. That’s common no matter what pack I wear, so I know it’s a belt issue. I’ve tried a few belts with no success in resolving it, and my skinny rear end doesn’t do a good job of holding pants up without it… so it’s a bit of a dilemma.

Okay, all of that aside, I’ve been using proper mountain packs for quite a long time, and specifically Exo now for a lot of years. This K4 truly is a massive step up in my eyes, both in performance (I can’t find a way to make it sag on me), design, and quality. Just looking over this pack, you have to take notice of all the small details that clearly indicate the amount of thought that has gone into making it something special. I’ll be the first to say there’s nothing on the spec sheet that jumped out at me as a reason to upgrade from K3, but after comparing the two the K4 is superior in many ways for me.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Roosie,

I ended up going to a 25” stay which is clearly a much better fit for me. With the belt sitting up higher, the hip fatigue goes away (my PT wife corrected me, it was glut med).

I almost always hike with KUIU attack pants with a KUIU climbing belt. If I tuck my shirt in, it definitely helps a lot, but if I forget to tuck it in I encounter pinching and/or skin wear in front of my hips with heavy loads and/or long hikes. That’s common no matter what pack I wear, so I know it’s a belt issue. I’ve tried a few belts with no success in resolving it, and my skinny rear end doesn’t do a good job of holding pants up without it… so it’s a bit of a dilemma.

Okay, all of that aside, I’ve been using proper mountain packs for quite a long time, and specifically Exo now for a lot of years. This K4 truly is a massive step up in my eyes, both in performance (I can’t find a way to make it sag on me), design, and quality. Just looking over this pack, you have to take notice of all the small details that clearly indicate the amount of thought that has gone into making it something special. I’ll be the first to say there’s nothing on the spec sheet that jumped out at me as a reason to upgrade from K3, but after comparing the two the K4 is superior in many ways for me.
I'm having a similar problem, wearing a belt becomes irritating/painful on the top/front of my hip bone, no belt and annoyingly my pants slip down but 100% more comfortable. Thinking of suspenders but the clips/hooks would be in a pretty similar position and cause rubbing/pressure. Has anyone tried suspenders?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I'm having a similar problem, wearing a belt becomes irritating/painful on the top/front of my hip bone, no belt and annoyingly my pants slip down but 100% more comfortable. Thinking of suspenders but the clips/hooks would be in a pretty similar position and cause rubbing/pressure. Has anyone tried suspenders?
The original prana stretch Zion pants with the built in belt are the best solution I've found. They're supposedly bringing them back. No belt or suspender is comfortable for me. A thin piece of string or Paracord is the only other thing that's worked for me.

Blackcow

WKR
I’ve been trying to use suspenders as much as I can the last 4 or 5 years, at least packing in. Keep a thin belt in my pack and usually switch to it at some point, then suspenders on the way out. Even a thin belt rubs just my left hip bone raw after a bunch of miles, especially in like august and I’m soaked in sweat. 2 things about suspenders…..
1 your wife and friends will probably laugh.
2 Don’t shit on them……

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard lots about these prana pants but they're unobtainium currently haha might try those cheapo wranglers stretch ones for now. The pack is extremely comfortable otherwise compared to my old pack.

I've heard lots about these prana pants but they're unobtainium currently haha might try those cheapo wranglers stretch ones for now. The pack is extremely comfortable otherwise compared to my old pack.

Need a belt with those wranglers though. I use them for work. Not as nice as the pranas but at least you can get them

ljalberta

WKR
SG’s built in belt system has been fantastic. I haven’t encountered any negative issues using them and a heavy pack.

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Need a belt with those wranglers though. I use them for work. Not as nice as the pranas but at least you can get them

Ha! I thought I was weird for finding wrangler pants at Walmart that I preferred over my hiking pants.

I wonder if we are talking about the same style? I bought a few pairs last year and wear them for everything.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
The SG pants look great but Damn are they pricey with exchange... I'll probably wait to see what happens with those zions coming back

Well, you guys have made me feel fortunate, I always wear a belt and it never causes any issues with me. I have been using the first lite belt for a couple years and kuiu belts the prior several years… I have had a little discomfort at times with some packs but nothing a small adjustment didn’t fix, and almost never tuck in my shirt besides this time of year when the ticks are full force

I might get a little sore in spots at times but nothing that lasts outside of a day. I do think I prefer my waist belt to ride a little higher than most, maybe that’s why.

The only getting raw from a pack was my kifaru archery elk hunting here on the coast and going through salmonberry constantly I would get debris stuck between the lumbar pad and my back with a bunch of thorny little twigs, and sweating in the heat it would mess me up at times and sometimes be sore and raw for days. That is the only pack I’ve had that it was a fairly normal problem, and by the time I would notice and clear the debris it was too late