Exo Mountain K4?

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to derail this thread into a pants belt/suspenders conversation. You guys have cost me some money on belts… looking forward to testing with a couple of options to find a better solution.

I guess we turned to a discussion on belts since there isn’t much in the way of constructive criticism on the K4 pack to provide

On another topic, I was a bit reluctant on the spotting scope zipper pockets, but I’m finding many ways now to make use of them. I much prefer this zipper design as opposed to my top entry pockets which stayed empty much of the time in my K3 use. There are simply way more useful opportunities with the side zip.

I also quickly fell in love with the new lumbar pad. Really took no break-in for me. I’m very pleased with the fit and feel right out of the box, and I haven’t been able to slip or sag this pack with any training loads as of yet.

Really nice attention to details!
The lumbar pad and hip belt are awesome! I like the stiffness of the lumbar pad and the hip belt is very comfortable and soft while still supportive, going to try a couple things with belts/suspenders to find what works. Very happy with the pack/frame though

The smaller bag is getting close, a few more tweaks and I'll have the design finalized. Coming in right around 2200 ci. I've always wanted a built in lid on the 1800 so I stretched out the main horseshoe zipper to come over the top of the bag and that allowed room to do a built in pocket.

Sized it to fit 18x56's perfectly and we are most likely going to add a fleece lining so it can be a dedicated 15's pocket.

I'll post more pics in a few weeks when it's all done.

SteveIMG_7715.jpegIMG_7711.jpeg

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
The smaller bag is getting close, a few more tweaks and I'll have the design finalized. Coming in right around 2200 ci. I've always wanted a built in lid on the 1800 so I stretched out the main horseshoe zipper to come over the top of the bag and that allowed room to do a built in pocket.

Sized it to fit 18x56's perfectly and we are most likely going to add a fleece lining so it can be a dedicated 15's pocket.

SteveView attachment 544869View attachment 544870
Hurry up and take my money! Woooooooo!

6.5x284

WKR

Great, now I need 15's again on top of a new bag...

Can't wait to see it!

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider

Will you still be able to attach the lid to this bag?

Jauwater

WKR
Will the smaller pack have the same type of water bladder pocket as the larger packs?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re killing me!

Really looking forward to this bag, and the size is perfect.

twall13

WKR
I took my new K4 3600 on a bear hunt this week and have a couple of takeaways. First, I'll echo what everyone else has said, the new belt just sticks in place. Wearing it several days in a row with varying amounts of weight, in different scenarios, hiking in some steep country, using it while on an ebike hauling in camp, etc. and I never felt like it slipped at all. I notice it's a stiffer foam when I first put it on but after that I forget about it entirely. It's the first hip belt I can honestly say I prefer over my Kifaru. I know they spent a ton of time on the belt specifically and I say it paid off.

Second takeaway. I was one of the guys that was apprehensive about the new zippered side pocket design. After 5 years of using the old top loading side pockets I had gotten very used to them and had a way of packing/hauling gear in them that worked for me. Trekking poles, tripod, spotter etc. You just get used to doing things a certain way over time and I wasn't sure the new change would work out for me. Now that I've used it on a hunt I can honestly say it's way better than the old top loading side pockets. It's just so much more versatile and easier to access. I'm not fighting to get my spotting scope out when I need it, I stashed some gloves and a beanie in the same pocket with it and they were all easy to get to and even added some extra padding around the scope. They are plenty big and swallow quite a bit of gear. I'm now a big fan of the new design. I can still use the lower side stretch pockets for taller stuff like a fishing rod, when needed, and it will strap in securely. Even though I was skeptical, after some use, I'm very happy with the update and see it as a major improvement on something I didn't know needed improvement.

At one point we spotted a bear up the hill while we were hiking to a new glassing spot. I tore off my pack and had my spotting scope out and setup on my tripod with my digiscoping setup ready to go in plenty of time to capture my buddy's shot on video. Afterwards I thought, I wouldn't have been that quick or quiet if I had everything stored how I carried it in my old 5500.

All said and done, we ended up with a couple of bears and broke in the new pack in style. My Bear wasn't huge but it was my first bear and a very memorable hunt.

Also, have we debunked the ranger green packs don't kill animals theory yet?
cfb4a0dc38ea1832c8e8df2185f111de.jpg
61e954e23c6661a99b41384f373fd5db.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
About to pull the trigger on a K4 frame. Stuck on hip belt size. I measured 43" without sucking in my gut at all, which puts me at bottom end of the XL and just above the top end of the L. I've got fat I'm still trying to shed and will likely be dropping about 20lbs over the next 2-3 months.

Should I go with the L or the XL? Anyone with similar measurements able to weigh in (pun intended)?

About to pull the trigger on a K4 frame. Stuck on hip belt size. I measured 43" without sucking in my gut at all, which puts me at bottom end of the XL and just above the top end of the L. I've got fat I'm still trying to shed and will likely be dropping about 20lbs over the next 2-3 months.

Should I go with the L or the XL? Anyone with similar measurements able to weigh in (pun intended)?
I would go with a large

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk