Exo Mountain K4?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
Hey Dioni I read earlier in the thread you had both length frames - which length did you settle on using the most?
I like the 25 better. The 26.5 was a little more comfortable with weight but the 25 was better for head clearance. If I'm run and gun glassing I don't take my pack off and appreciate the extra clearance.

huntnful

WKR
How bout a video on how to load a whole deer, all 4 quarters, neck meat, rib meat and backstraps into a pack and have the weight situated right so the pack works as it should.

I think part of my pack problems come from not packing the bag right and or maybe it's just to awkward of a weight how it's situated

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I use only two game bags for a whole buck to make it much more simple to back and strap down. Hind quarter and front shoulder, facing opposite directions, and then the neck meat and backstrap from one side also in that bag. Two bags loaded just like that, laid on top of each other and it fits really well and easily. And the weight packs great. 4 game bags and a meat bag or something like that is just too hectic for me haha.

sr80

WKR
Here's how I packed one out last year in the k4. This is 4 bone in quarters with a loose bag of meat, head + cape with camp, spotter and tripod.
I try and get the pack set somewhere flat. I want to be able to get the weight situated high on the frame so it's important not to have things standing up.
View attachment 527997
This is a bag with a front and rear quarter both of them heavy side up.
View attachment 527998
Other 2 quarters over the first 2 this seems to shift less than starting heavy side down.
View attachment 527999
Strap everything up tight trying to keep things high.
View attachment 528000
Be sure to keep anything you might need accessible on the pack out on one of your exterior pockets. I'll move snacks and things to my lower stretch pockets so it's not such a fight to get them later if I have to.
View attachment 528001
And then stuff loose meat in the top of the pack or in your bag. I usually bring a trash bag to put it in so my stuff stays clean.
View attachment 528002
You can attach the head quite a few different ways. Depending on how your bags situated you might need to play with this. I wanted this buck antlers down because I was in a popular area and didn't want anybody to shoot me.
View attachment 528003
packing out a full mulie bone in never seems to ride nice, but that looks like a good solution, specially with camp. Any idea what that load weighed in at? 120 ish?

How bout a video on how to load a whole deer, all 4 quarters, neck meat, rib meat and backstraps into a pack and have the weight situated right so the pack works as it should.

I think part of my pack problems come from not packing the bag right and or maybe it's just to awkward of a weight how it's situated

How you load the pack is huge, having the bulk of the weight in the bottom of the load shelf will make the best pack suck.

Exo has very adequate compression, so you can “trap” the weight higher in the load shelf, and having side to side balance is also important when you get up there in weight

That is a good idea, someone making a specific video of how to properly load a quartered whole deer in a pack. If it isn’t made before next fall, I can certainly make a short video knowing how important it is to make a brutally heavy load tolerable

Spring bear is right around the corner, and I can probably do a video of a whole bear pending the size of bear my wife ends up killing. That 110# mark is about as much as I like to carry any distance on my 160lb skinny ass

Last edited:
I use only two game bags for a whole buck to make it much more simple to back and strap down. Hind quarter and front shoulder, facing opposite directions, and then the neck meat and backstrap from one side also in that bag. Two bags loaded just like that, laid on top of each other and it fits really well and easily. And the weight packs great. 4 game bags and a meat bag or something like that is just too hectic for me haha.
Key point here is keeping bone in.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
packing out a full mulie bone in never seems to ride nice, but that looks like a good solution, specially with camp. Any idea what that load weighed in at? 120 ish?

At risk of people calling me a liar I honestly think I was north of 150lbs. Whole deer bone in with head and cape roughly 100lbs, Pack 95mm swaro with tripod all my camping stuff and gear 40+ lbs rifle 10 lbs.

twall13

WKR
I actually believe you. I did a similar load once, but with a smaller deer so I was a little shy of your weight estimate. I never get that heavy with elk as I know I need to multi trip the load anyway. Mule deer just fit in that size range where you know it's possible to get it out in one trip and in some situations it's worth doing. Those packouts suck, but I know they are possible.

That's part of why a good load hauling pack is so important to me. Most packouts won't be that heavy, but it's nice to know you can rely on the pack to handle it if you ever need it to.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I actually believe you. I did a similar load once, but with a smaller deer so I was a little shy of your weight estimate. I never get that heavy with elk as I know I need to multi trip the load anyway. Mule deer just fit in that size range where you know it's possible to get it out in one trip and in some situations it's worth doing. Those packouts suck, but I know they are possible.

That's part of why a good load hauling pack is so important to me. Most packouts won't be that heavy, but it's nice to know you can rely on the pack to handle it if you ever need it to.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more.
There's a lot of situations where the thought of going back into a place to make a second trip is unreasonable and there's a lot of times where you'd have to sacrifice hunting days if you are planning on making two trips out.

sr80

WKR
At risk of people calling me a liar I honestly think I was north of 150lbs. Whole deer bone in with head and cape roughly 100lbs, Pack 95mm swaro with tripod all my camping stuff and gear 40+ lbs rifle 10 lbs.
i believe ya 100% Mature mulies aren't light! Nice work and thanks for all the pics and info throughout the thread. Much appreciated.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
@Dioni A what's the story behind that "whole" deer (minus the feet)- did you forget your game bags or something? Or just a joke pic before you finished quartering?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
@Dioni A what's the story behind that "whole" deer (minus the feet)- did you forget your game bags or something? Or just a joke pic before you finished quartering?
I packed it out like that. I Don't remember the exact reasoning behind why I did it. It had something to do with being able to talk crap to a buddy who made a comment about something beforehand. It wasn't super far in. Maybe a mile.

I have no doubt it was heavy and most likely #150 + easily. I know I couldn't do it. That's a lot of weight

ljalberta

WKR
I packed it out like that. I Don't remember the exact reasoning behind why I did it. It had something to do with being able to talk crap to a buddy who made a comment about something beforehand. It wasn't super far in. Maybe a mile.
As a fellow dummy who also packed one out like this after a dumb conversation with hunting buddies, I think everyone should try it at least once.

I'm almost positive I've seen it listed in this thread and I didn't write it down....what are the side pocket dimensions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FNG
@Dioni A Thanks for posting the pictures. I like the looks of the orange lid when the head is strapped with the antlers up for visibility/safety reasons.

I'm almost positive I've seen it listed in this thread and I didn't write it down....what are the side pocket dimensions? Thanks in advance.

They are 7.5" wide by 27" tall on all 3 bags (3600, 5000 and 7200). They also have a very large pleat to them and expand out from the pack when putting a spotting scope in there.