Exo Mountain K4?

huntnful

WKR
I'd like a day pack. I hunt on horses mostly and theres times where I cant quite get the horses to an elk, a small pack that can shuttle quarters would be great. And you can certainly pack an elk out without putting 120lbs on your back
Right, I totally agree. You don’t have to carry 120lbs. But you still get that ability in a 5lb total pack weight. So they would have to weaken the frame, remove padding, and design a smaller bag to fit said frame, in order to cut a small amount of weight. In return end up with a pack with weak limitations that people will inevitably overload and break. It’s really a lose lose.

Their lightest bag is 2lbs 2oz. Are you just asking for a lighter bag, and I’m totally misunderstanding? Or lighter, smaller pack system in general?

Total pack weight is 5lbs 8oz. Without lid it’s 5lbs .5oz. So you want a 3lb pack (since the original pack is 2lbs more than it needs to be) with the capability of carrying 1/2 a buck out? And cover an insane amount of miles where that 5 pound total pack weight is bothersome, and yet you end up a max of only 1 to 2 miles from the truck?

I, and many other people, including the designs and builders of these packs, don’t seem to mind carrying 90+lbs in a pack.
And you forgot durable enough to last 20 plus years.
Pockets every where.
$299.99 shipping included.
Made in USA from US materials.
And donate 2% to conservation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Total pack weight is 5lbs 8oz. Without lid it’s 5lbs .5oz. So you want a 3lb pack (since the original pack is 2lbs more than it needs to be) with the capability of carrying 1/2 a buck out? And cover an insane amount of miles where that 5 pound total pack weight is bothersome, and yet you end up a max of only 1 to 2 miles from the truck?

I, and many other people, including the designs and builders of these packs, don’t seem to mind carrying 90+lbs in a pack.

My SG Solo 3600 is 4 lbs 6 oz.

Something like a Seek Outside Gila 3500 is 2 lbs 11 oz and they rate the frame for 200 pounds. I've seen others lighter with less weight carrying capability. I think I can find something in the 2.5 pounds range, saving 2 pounds over my SG.

I've only killed one archery buck in my home state since 2019, but I tend to let the little fellers walk. So 2019 2020 2021 2022 seasons, 4 seasons, average 12 days a season, 8 miles a day, that's 384 miles to pack out one buck a mile. So I carried an extra 2 pounds for 382 miles so I could have an easier walk for 1 mile. That doesn't seem very logical.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin

Something like a Seek Outside Gila 3500 is 2 lbs 11 oz and they rate the frame for 200 pounds. I've seen others lighter with less weight carrying capability. I think I can find something in the 2.5 pounds range, saving 2 pounds over my SG.

I've only killed one archery buck in my home state since 2019, but I tend to let the little fellers walk. So 2019 2020 2021 2022 seasons, 4 seasons, average 12 days a season, 8 miles a day, that's 384 miles to pack out one buck a mile. So I carried an extra 2 pounds for 382 miles so I could have an easier walk for 1 mile. That doesn't seem very logical.

tenor_gif4813679786438099208_590430349633360.gif

rclouse79

WKR
I genuinely don’t understand the want for a specific “day pack”. First and foremost, you need to be able to carry out 100-120lbs on the frame if you actually plan on killing something during this day hunt. So that part is already covered. They will not, and should not deviate from that. Then they have a 3600 bag that you can basically compress down to absolutely nothing with minimal weight. You can even remove the lid for even l less weight and bulk. I’ve never felt the need/want for a slightly modified smaller pack at all.

Unless everyone is just referring to some backpacking/hiking item, and not pursuing big game during the said use of this smaller day pack
I agree. Furthmore, there is a minimal weight difference between the 3600 and 7200 which also sucks down to nothing. I just got the 7200 so I would be ready for anything and would be done with it.

Edit: It would be fun to load a 3600 and a 7200 up with exactly 50 lbs, and see how many guys would be willing to bet $100 that they could be blind folded and go 5/5 on guessing what pack was put on their back. I would guess there would be zero takers for that bet.

Have you actually weighed a liberal outside?
Both of mine were heavier than advertised.

There website isn't even accurate enough to list the same weight twice.

huntnful

WKR

Okay I do understand what you’re saying and referring to. I guess I just view it differently. I did at least 200 miles and packed out 6 animals, just last year and never once thought, “I wish this pack was 2 pounds lighter and more uncomfortable” lol. If I was just hiking around possibly killing something every 4 years I would want a lighter pack too lol.

I could be talked into something integrated with min pockets, zippers, and 1 size shorter stays.
But I think 1800 is to small id want more around 3k
If that got me closer to 4lb
And I'd pack meat in the bag or just on the back

Have you actually weighed a liberal outside?
Both of mine were heavier than advertised.

There website isn't even accurate enough to list the same weight twice.

I have weighed my SG but I haven't compared it to published specs. I don't really care. It is what it is. I have a Kifaru Duplex Tactical and I know the SG is lighter than that so that's what I use. If I killed something I'd probably grab the Kifaru for loads 2+.

I'm going to buy this K4. And then a day pack as I've described. Probably always have two packs in my truck. Probably wouldn't take the ultralight day pack elk hunting (where I've been a little more successful than 1 animal in 4 years).

SLM

FNG
I genuinely don’t understand the want for a specific “day pack”. First and foremost, you need to be able to carry out 100-120lbs on the frame if you actually plan on killing something during this day hunt. So that part is already covered. They will not, and should not deviate from that. Then they have a 3600 bag that you can basically compress down to absolutely nothing with minimal weight. You can even remove the lid for even l less weight and bulk. I’ve never felt the need/want for a slightly modified smaller pack at all.

Unless everyone is just referring to some backpacking/hiking item, and not pursuing big game during the said use of this smaller day pack
Contrary to what everyone likes to think, not every time out is 7+ plus days with 7,000’ elevation daily carrying 90# and every 1/2 ounce matters. Sometimes it’s a 5 mile day checking cameras, or a 10 mile day just glassing/photographing sheep, or a 2 mile day taking a kid Javelina hunting, or a 3 mile day going back to a mountain lake to fly fish for the day.

Yes, all the bags can strap down nicely, but on any of the above, my 22 Mag is much easier to access than any other bag. My Exo is way more comfortable with all weights and gets the nod most of the time. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with weight. Why would any pack maker not want to have a well designed “ day bag”? Some of the most lethal killers I know have not backpack hunted a day of their life, but want a quality pack for those heavy days.

Okay I do understand what you’re saying and referring to. I guess I just view it differently. I did at least 200 miles and packed out 6 animals, just last year and never once thought, “I wish this pack was 2 pounds lighter and more uncomfortable” lol. If I was just hiking around possibly killing something every 4 years I would want a lighter pack too lol.

It's just a different use case is all. There is certainly a market for it proven by other folks. My point here is I'd like to see Exo apply their design skills to this market because I think they'd do very well and come up with something I'd like to buy.

As far as comfort goes, crawling around on the ground and trying to look up with a tall frame sucks. I'd like a shorter frame in hunt mode and make a quick adjustment to taller frame in haul mode. My SG doesn't have that. I know the K3 does and some others do. That's a great feature.

S.Clancy

WKR
I two trip deer in western Kansas. Cover a lot of miles just to get one killed. No sense in carrying an extra 2 pounds in a pack to make one half-load more comfortable. Distances are usually no more than a mile or two from the truck.

I've never put more than 80 or 90 pounds in a pack for any distance.
I feel targeted.

I feel like that is just another opportunity for fitness

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think I've edited out all the BS from the last couple of pages. Remember that it's easier for me to ban people than go through and edit or delete posts.

Just because someone asks for something you don't want is not a reason to belittle them or tell everyone how superior you are.