Exo Mountain K4?

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter packing out here antelope buck and the front shoulders of her cow elk. We both love our K4s, best pack on the market.

Attachments

• 49335851-257F-43B1-9154-12B273E9364F.jpeg
    49335851-257F-43B1-9154-12B273E9364F.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 194555D1-40E6-4900-8504-CE9313B41E8B.jpeg
    194555D1-40E6-4900-8504-CE9313B41E8B.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 130
Ok, calling Exo Monday. Hope they can walk me through getting a good fit over the phone. 2 weeks in Alaska next September coming up.
It won’t be a problem, but in the meantime, browse their YouTube videos so there is context when they are talking you through it.

They are not a fickle pack by any measure, everything on the k4 is intuitive and straightforward, from fit to breaking the pack down to haul meat, to everything else

Make sure the torso setting isn’t too long, but that’s all stuff they will go through with you, and carry some weight in it when you get it to break in the lumbar pad… it didn’t bother me but some seemed to report it felt a little stiff at first.

First time I used mine I had a little over 30 and walked a lot of miles in the hills and in short order it had that comfy exo feel, and is a beast of a pack with a heavy load cinched up.

I can’t imagine a better hunting pack system for my needs. I appreciate it more all the time

snipe10

FNG
Thanks, watched the intro video, will watch the others too, but am right between two sizes as I'm long legged, 33X38 jeans, and barrel chested and short torso, 6'4" 205lbs. Just want to double check,

After spending the last 3+ years in a Kifaru system and a Mystery Ranch for a bunch of years prior, I decided to switch to the K4 based on bag features and also the way Steve portrays his company on podcasts.

Frame- The bag is everything I expected but I didn't expect to experience such a difference in the frame. I know that frame/waist belt fit is dependent on each individual but the comfort loaded and unloaded are both an improvement for me.

3600 bag- I've envied the stretch pocket for years and finally put it to use. I like the angled compression straps, roll top, waterproof liner for the bladder, etc. No complaints anywhere. Molle webbing is awesome.

Nalgene Holder - really like the cant to assist in deployment and also like that the entire holder is insulated. Keeps my nalgene from freezing longer in cold temps.

Hip Pockets- one hand opening/closing and padded fronts, love em.

Rifle carrier- I see that this is getting beat up on here but I really enjoy mine. I do carry the rifle with the scope against my arm (which is opposite of most) but the elastic stirrup holds my stock securely until I want it out and the elastic buckle system for the top is easy to deploy using Steve's method on YouTube. I can understand the concerns about scratching the gun but it's not a concern of mine. When packing with meat against the frame and a head under the lid, I usually strap the top of the rifle using a compression strap to achieve the vertical position desired.

I really enjoy all the in depth videos of each piece.

Spiro

FNG
Anyone buy a rifle carrier then they realized it for whatever reason dosent work for them? I’ll buy it off ya. Send your boy a DM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those whining about the rifle carrier - just use your strap until you don't need quick access. It's just an option, and a good one, for what it does. I usually strap it in mornings and evenings when I'm hiking. But I have my rifle strap on for any drives/stints that I might do mid-morning etc. It's not perfect, but none of them are, and how the exo carries the weight of the rifle is what sets it apart for me and makes it very much worth it when needed:)

Those whining about the rifle carrier - just use your strap until you don't need quick access. It's just an option, and a good one, for what it does. I usually strap it in mornings and evenings when I'm hiking. But I have my rifle strap on for any drives/stints that I might do mid-morning etc. It's not perfect, but none of them are, and how the exo carries the weight of the rifle is what sets it apart for me and makes it very much worth it when needed:)
The weapon carrier wasn’t for me, but I thought they did a good job on it… reasons I didn’t keep mine was the big double track cam on my prime didn’t fit and the 2 rifles I carry are in xlr&krg bravo, and neither worked great in it for fast deployment

If I didn’t use it for a bow and had traditional stocked rifles, I would have been really happy with it.

Up until a few years ago I would have been perfectly happy with it, and I think traditional styled stocks are becoming less common.

The weapon carrier wasn’t for me, but I thought they did a good job on it… reasons I didn’t keep mine was the big double track cam on my prime didn’t fit and the 2 rifles I carry are in xlr&krg bravo, and neither worked great in it for fast deployment

If I didn’t use it for a bow and had traditional stocked rifles, I would have been really happy with it.

Up until a few years ago I would have been perfectly happy with it, and I think traditional styled stocks are becoming less common.
I ordered their XL version and it did help a little... still snug with a butt stock pack on, but works. Used it two nights ago for my 2 mile hike out from my glassing rock

I don't love the rifle carrier nor do I hate it. It definitely does exactly what it was designed to do. Hunting oregon in the rain for blacktails makes putting the pack down in the mud a real hassle every time i need to stop and glass, remove rifle then reattach. The butt pouch is definitely snug. A little too snug.

I'll continue to use it as I couldn't Frankenstein forward carry to be comfortable.

Just like every other piece of quality gear made, it will work great for some, mediocre for others and not at all for some.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

eltaco

WKR
I ordered their XL version and it did help a little... still snug with a butt stock pack on, but works. Used it two nights ago for my 2 mile hike out from my glassing rock

Hold up, XL rifle carrier?

I have the rifle carrier and found it to be a bit too snug on my stock. Would prefer to have something adjustable or at least wider opening.

I’d be interested, if there’s a larger version.

Hold up, XL rifle carrier?

I have the rifle carrier and found it to be a bit too snug on my stock. Would prefer to have something adjustable or at least wider opening.

I’d be interested, if there’s a larger version.
They do have a slightly larger version - you can call or order and put it in the comments I believe @Mark at EXO would be the guy to ask :)

Hoping I'm not forgetting something... I could swear there was a post where they said you could request a large one in the comments when ordering - but I can't remember where I have seen that...

FWIW I did do that and the second one I got was a little larger then my first one.

I use an EH-1 with a Triad stock pack and I realize that EXO can't account for every stock configuration possible, but the standard bottom piece of the rifle carrier requires 2.6 hands and 13 fingers to get my stock into it. A larger bottom piece would eliminate alot of my dislikes about the system.

Sounds like I need to make a phone call.

ExoMtnGear

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys,

Jake with Exo here. I saw the comment about the XL Version Rifle Carrier and wanted to chime-in. We made an XL Version of the K3 Rifle Carrier, but haven't developed one for the K4. Our main focus for the K4 Rifle Carrier is to have a secure, unshakable fit. That being said, the K4 Rifle Carrier still stretches out to 8".

The customer I spoke with had a larger than normal stock and I mentioned to him that we had a this XL K3 Rifle Carrier lying around that could help him out. Unfortunately, I don't have anymore here in the shop.

Steve and Mark are currently in Kodiak, AK, but when they get back, I'll bring up to them that a larger K4 Rifle Carrier "lower-section" is something that our customers would like to see.

If you have any questions, you can email me at [email protected] or reply back here.

Hey guys,

Jake with Exo here. I saw the comment about the XL Version Rifle Carrier and wanted to chime-in. We made an XL Version of the K3 Rifle Carrier, but haven't developed one for the K4. Our main focus for the K4 Rifle Carrier is to have a secure, unshakable fit. That being said, the K4 Rifle Carrier still stretches out to 8".

The customer I spoke with had a larger than normal stock and I mentioned to him that we had a this XL K3 Rifle Carrier lying around that could help him out. Unfortunately, I don't have anymore here in the shop.

Steve and Mark are currently in Kodiak, AK, but when they get back, I'll bring up to them that a larger K4 Rifle Carrier "lower-section" is something that our customers would like to see.

If you have any questions, you can email me at [email protected] or reply back here.
Thanks Jake! Apologies for mis-remembering/quoting there!

Hey guys,

I would be interested in a larger version as well. I put a limbsaver airtech on my HNT26 stock and it wants to rip the buttpad off everytime I pull the gun out.

Has anyone found a good way to use the rifle carrier with the stock folded? It would be handy to have zero issues with head clearance by having the stock folded, but also accessible without having to take the pack off. I suppose it's a bit of a niche request though.