Exo Mountain Gear pack

Another vote for the Exo 4800, great pack, not too big for day hunts if you take the lid off and compress it down.

It also depends on your body size.
If you're a medium vs a 2xl
I run almost the exact same gear as Steve and consider myself on the minimal side.
But being an XL or 2Xl i don't think there is any way in heck I could fit in a 3200 for a 5 day trip.

sndmn11

WKR
That’s weird since you just posted you have an EXO k2 in another thread?

Bookmark this so you can sing I told you so when that user name scams folks.

hunterjmj

WKR

Good catch. Stupid scammers.

Rob5589

WKR

Hmmm, now his posts no longer exist...

Zdubs

FNG
I'd recommend the 3200 if you have experience backpacking and your gear is of decent quality. If you have bulky backpacking equipment then you may need the larger pack.

I have multiple Exo packs and bags. I still run my K2 5500, to me it’s perfect. But the K3 4800 has my vote. Excellent choice can’t go wrong there! Like everyone said it compresses down Very nicely for shorter/day hunts and expands out when you need more space. 👍

I'm a first timer as well, and after a lot of watching and reading ended up going with the exo 4800. With all of my gear in it still has lots of extra room, but I wouldn't say it is overly large. I have a few other backpacking, including a 45 liter gregory, and the 4800 is definitely much more compact than those. Also easy to strap it down and condense it further for lighter loads/training loads.

brerud2

FNG
I was deciding the same question for myself a while ago. I went with the 4800 since I will end up using it for some colder weather hunts too and the extra size will probably be nice to stuff more bulky jacket and bibs into for late season whitetail hunting. I have used it for 2-3 day hunts and also for several day hunts and I don't regret buying that pack. It compresses down to nothing. With the experience I have had so far I would recommend going bigger if you think you might need it for some other hunt. I never looked at the 6400 seriously but I would now knowing how much they compress down.

First time elk hunting in Montana mountains with a pack. Looking at either the K3 3200 or 4800. I want something adequate for mostl likely 1-3 day hunt at a time but nothing so bitch that I’m swimming in it. Either the price I’m trying to find something in the middle that would work for the shorter hunts but yet also be able go for 3-5 days In the future. To me it looks like for not much more weight or size you gain a lot more room with the 4800? What’s everyone’s thoughts? Thx
I suggest the 4800, I have a k2 3500, and had a k1 3500, loved both, but the 4800 cinches down just as good, basically no weight penalty, and is more capable

On a side note, I decided to set up my exo for archery season, and forgot how badass that pack is, been wearing my kifaru the past year and just forgot

My exo started squeaking pretty bad, like every frame eventually does, so I put some athletic tape on it and solved that and need to do the same with my kifaru now, because it’s getting annoying… neither were kuiu bad, but annoying

I’m hoping exo comes out with a new pack system this year, because I’m getting the itch, and will order one as soon as they release it

Jbxl20

WKR
So I have a 6400 that I have been using for a while. I spent today trying to jam all my gear for elk hunting next week in my recently purchased 3200. I can’t get it to work. Im not super ultra lite but I have decent gear. Sleeping bag, pad, kill kit, tent, jetboil, first aid kit, puffy, kuiu 240 hoody extra clothes,( just socks underwear, long Johns and core lightweight hoody) battery charger, camp cup, 2 headlamps and an extra release. Trekking poles, rain coat, tent poles and pack cover in the side pockets. I have no room for food and my water bladder is empty. I didn’t try to put water in my bladder but I don’t think it’s going to fit with the pack being that jammed tight. I got the 3200 to use locally for day trips. The 6400 had been fine. I mainly just bought the 3200 for curiosity. Long story short buy a bigger bag. Everything fits in the 6400 with room to spare.

So I have a 6400 that I have been using for a while. I spent today trying to jam all my gear for elk hunting next week in my recently purchased 3200. I can’t get it to work. Im not super ultra lite but I have decent gear. Sleeping bag, pad, kill kit, tent, jetboil, first aid kit, puffy, kuiu 240 hoody extra clothes,( just socks underwear, long Johns and core lightweight hoody) battery charger, camp cup, 2 headlamps and an extra release. Trekking poles, rain coat, tent poles and pack cover in the side pockets. I have no room for food and my water bladder is empty. I didn’t try to put water in my bladder but I don’t think it’s going to fit with the pack being that jammed tight. I got the 3200 to use locally for day trips. The 6400 had been fine. I mainly just bought the 3200 for curiosity. Long story short buy a bigger bag. Everything fits in the 6400 with room to spare.
This is the point I was making with my comment - you can’t make a smaller bag bigger.

You can - with discipline and a packing list - make sure you don’t stuff everything and the kitchen sink into a pack that’s too big. I always have extra room. No big deal on day hunts or solo hunts, but it’s handy when backpacking with kids, buddies, or if I want to stuff meat in the main bag as well as the load shelf.

brushy

FNG
I have a 4800 and never thought it was too big for day hunts.

Probably selling it this year if you're interested. Trying a kifaru 22 mag that a buddy turned me onto.
If you and Husker didn’t get together on it, I’d welcome details on your 4800.